FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it says "Made In Germany".

I think I may have hidden it at time since the gold stuff may have come out and I wanted to keep some green.

If it's still good, I'll run it.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
What is the general thought on shelf life? I found some SL grade stashed in my parent's garage that I must have hid...still good? Bottles are still sealed.

I vaguely remember calling Mobil Oil or Amsoil (can't remember) many years ago that their synthetic had a shelf life of roughly 10 years.

I figure it's still safe so I'll run the 4 quarts of green GC I have and add in a bottle of newer GC to make the 5 quarts I need.

I don't think it'll smell like gummi bears anymore though. =( HAHA.

I am running GC in my 06 Colorado 3.5. I just bought the truck two weeks ago with 41k miles on it, and it came from the dealer with PYB. So far, the engine is alot smoother at idle, and it revs like a raped ape.

I chose GC not for energy star fuel saving CAFE PC nonsense. I chose it for engine protection and longevity.

I have read that oils sold in the US for US market vehicles are engineered for fuel economy first, protection second. Euro spec oils are the opposite. Don't know if it is totally true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. And seeing as I have no warranty anyway....

I just recently picked up several cases on sale at the local Canadian Tire. Anxious to give it a try after hearing nothing but good things. Its a good value when you can get it on sale. CT usually does it once or twice a year.

Originally Posted By: RAYSGV
I just recently picked up several cases on sale at the local Canadian Tire. Anxious to give it a try after hearing nothing but good things. Its a good value when you can get it on sale. CT usually does it once or twice a year.

Yeah, I used it on my 1.8T Passat, very good oil. Especially for colder places.

I just recently picked up several cases on sale at the local Canadian Tire. Anxious to give it a try after hearing nothing but good things.

Too bad you werent closer to me. I have probably 10 litres of the true green GC that I would like to sell to free up space in my basement cupboards.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I just recently picked up several cases on sale at the local Canadian Tire. Anxious to give it a try after hearing nothing but good things.

Too bad you werent closer to me. I have probably 10 litres of the true green GC that I would like to sell to free up space in my basement cupboards.

Few weeks ago I saw green stuff in Auto Zone here in Alabama. Affraid it is too old to buy!

Originally Posted By: zmelli
German Castrol Price thru the roof? I walked into my local AutoZone and noticed GC was priced at $8.19 per quart! Wow I hope they put it on sale soon.

It's even more expensive at my local Autozone. Just as well my local Audi dealers continue to sell the VW spec Castrol oils at about $2/quart LESS than the Autozone price! I paid $6.50/quart last Saturday, for the same oil. It;s always cheaper at the dealers here....

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Guys,

You have any experience using GC on cars like Nissan Sentra?
My GF has that car so thinking to put that oil in!
What is your opinion?

I used it in a Honda Fit and did not notice any drop in Fuel economy. I say go for the extra protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back