VW 508 spec. What's so special about it?

Legit.
the easy way.
order from fcpeuro with paypal (to get free return shipping)

use their free returns on consumables feature.

or go find m1 esp x2 0w20
No more free return shipping. But...pirateship.com is really inexpensive.

Just order it from FCP....how hard is this? Click click click and it shows up a few days later with the filter. Get into the Lifetime Replacement and it gets cheaper and cheaper...

I just ordered 12qt of Mobil ESP and two STP LongLife filters for my wife's Tiguan from Autozone. $117 with tax, free delivery. They have a sale going on 5qt and filter until the end of December.

The last time I had my Jaguar in to the dealer for an oil & filter change they used Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 oil that is labeled as meeting VW's 508 CO/509 specifications. That was because the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 formula that met Jaguar/Land Rover's specification STJLR.03.5006 is no longer available. I bought a liter of the VW spec oil at the parts department to have on hand in case any top off oil is ever needed.

I was curious about how the VW spec 508/509 Castrol Edge Professional oil compared to the previous formula so I sent a virgin oil sample in to Blackstone Labs and compared it to a previous sample report that was taken from my Jaguar when it had around 2750 miles on it. Both samples showed much lower than average Molybdenum content and much higher than average Titanium content. All other readings were so close as to be considered interchangeable and equal.

I paid $11.77 for the one liter bottle at my dealer and I'm sure there are also online sources. Here is the Blackstone Labs report for the virgin sample.

Attachments

• Blackstone Report Castrol Edge Professional VW Spec 0W-20 Virgin.jpg
    Blackstone Report Castrol Edge Professional VW Spec 0W-20 Virgin.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 57
I just ordered a case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30. Almost half the price of Mobil ESP and the spec is 504. Close enough.
That's a big jump in HTHS. A premium 5W30 ILSAC synthetic would be closer to the 508 gasoline needs. Just change at around 6mo/ 6K miles.

Let us know how the "hefty" Pennzoil runs.

Now on a 2019 don't you have the L-O-N-G powertrain warranty? 72mo/72K miles?

How will you deal with an engine failure?

Actually probably because Electric Cars are not hugely better for the environment globally than ICE

They are nice in large Cities but to be perfectly honest a PHEV with a reasonable EV range is a better bet in nearly every way.

The raw materials for the batteries that would produce one EV vehicle battery can be used to produce many more PHEV batteries.

Not my opinion.

The opinion of senior execs at Toyota

Ammonia based fuels and hydrogen make more sense long term.

Actually probably because Electric Cars are not hugely better for the environment globally than ICE

They are nice in large Cities but to be perfectly honest a PHEV with a reasonable EV range is a better bet in nearly every way.

The raw materials for the batteries that would produce one EV vehicle battery can be used to produce many more PHEV batteries.

Not my opinion.

The opinion of senior execs at Toyota

Ammonia based fuels and hydrogen make more sense long term.

Toyota isn't thinking about emissions. They're thinking about being able to sell cars at cheap prices.

BEV come in way ahead of ICE in terms of lifetime emissions

That's a big jump in HTHS. A premium 5W30 ILSAC synthetic would be closer to the 508 gasoline needs. Just change at around 6mo/ 6K miles.

Let us know how the "hefty" Pennzoil runs.

Now on a 2019 don't you have the L-O-N-G powertrain warranty? 72mo/72K miles?

How will you deal with an engine failure?

Why would it fail ? That isn’t going to make any engine fail using a different quality oil at the correct level

I work at a dealer. Most I have ever done was ask for oil change receipts. You can tell if an engine was maintained or not wouldn’t matter if it was 0w8 or 15w50.

Now they could be a stickler if they really wanted to sure but just proof is mostly what we/I care about

Example. Had a van come in bottom end noise (spun bearing) sticker on window showed 24k past due. Asked for oil change receipts. They had them approx every 5k miles so ok engine for you didn’t even look at grade or brand

I work at a dealer. Most I have ever done was ask for oil change receipts. You can tell if an engine was maintained or not wouldn’t matter if it was 0w8 or 15w50.

Now they could be a stickler if they really wanted to sure but just proof is mostly what we/I care about

Example. Had a van come in bottom end noise (spun bearing) sticker on window showed 24k past due. Asked for oil change receipts. They had them approx every 5k miles so ok engine for you didn’t even look at grade or brand
My VW dealer didn't care. They installed 505 oil in my Jetta that called for 508 00.

Car ran very sluggish and boggy around town, ran hotter and the exhaust (cat) stated to emit a sulfur-like odor. And this is with a stick.

A month later, I bought some Motul online and had them change the oil again. The service writer and I installed the oil as I demanded to see it go in.

I don't know how your 2.0 L turbo will respond to a lubricant with a 40% higher HTHS.

know that VW uses tracer dye in their spec oils.

Motul VW 508 509_07_52_40_Pro.jpg

Stop tinfoil hat nonsense.
So Volvo take part in Tin Foil Nonsense?

Don’t even own a PHEV or EV?

Don’t know any fleet that is using large numbers of EVs?

Amazon tried the EV Sprinter in London and the very next year they bought diesel Transits

The London Ambulance Service bought Mustang Mach E as Response cars and due to all the kit they need charged every day despite doing around only 40/100 miles a day depending on where the vehicle is stationed

They have also bought EV Transits, the issue being they have to try and find a lightweight trolleys because the standard ones (which are light compared to the old hydraulic ones) make the vehicle overweight with a patient on.

But you enjoy the EV koolaid

After all you must know more than the Engineers at Toyota and Volvo….
😂😂😂

Back