F 150 Continental Cross Contact LX20 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends 2006 F150 has 20 inch BF Goodrich Tires. I like the Michelins or the Continentals. How are the Contis?
Thanks

I'd pick the Contis solely from worrying about getting a Michelin with dry rot issues.

Also, Continentals are highly regarded.

My next set of Winter tires will be Contis as Yokohamas are expensive now and hard to find at a big box store like CT where a road hazard warranty would be really useable.

Don't know about the Contis but I just put the Michelin LTX MS 2 on my 2011 Silverado and I love them. Very smooth riding and quiet, took very little weights to balance.

Both are the finest in Europe. Michelin is highly the best in longevity. Little pros and cons on each side, stick with the cheaper or which ones thread is more sympathic to You.

The Michelin sidewall dry rot issue is caused by people using tire shine that contains petroleum products.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
The Michelin sidewall dry rot issue is caused by people using tire shine that contains petroleum products.

Not sure I agree with this statement.

I have had some Michelin Dry rot issue on some of their other tires but not so much on the LTX M/S 2. The important question is how many miles you drive per year. The MS 2 I have are about 3 years old and only have 10-15 Thousand miles. They have been great to this point but do have a few small cracks in the tread but not the sidewall. They still have lots of tread left.The tires have served me well and have had no issues other than a puncture that was repaired. This is the third set of tires first being the Sears version XC, then came LTX M/S and finally the LTX M/S 2. Each lasted about 5 years before the cracks set in, but other tires would wear out way before they had a chance to crack.

Check ALL the reviews on tirerack specifically where they are rated for what. I have the regular CrossContact LX (not the 20). Worst tires I ever bought. They are quiet and ride nice and have good wet and dry grip (over 45 degrees). Anything colder and especially snow and ice they are a safety hazard. They turn to solid plastic and don't grip for anything. I was stuck in my driveway in 4WD where my Sonata with very worn Nokian WR's drove up (it's maybe a 5% grade). They also have horrible wear with 20k on them they are at almost 4/32".

When I got them they were newer and many said good for snow after my issues I re-read and sure enough all the great comments were from southern states.

I'd also suggest reading reviews for other continental offerings. I recall several bad reviews on factory defects--- out of round, impossible to balance, etc., from several different people. I would not consider continental to be an all-around good product as well as michelin does it.

FWIW, we had oem continentals on an escape that were very good tires for comfortable driving. We didn't push them, however, and we live in the warmer south.

Originally Posted By: meep
I'd also suggest reading reviews for other continental offerings. I recall several bad reviews on factory defects--- out of round, impossible to balance, etc., from several different people. I would not consider continental to be an all-around good product as well as michelin does it.

Read enough reviews on Tire Rack, and you'll soon come to the conclusion that every tire on the market is a POS. A couple of things that I've noted -

- Bad reviews of the CrossContact LX seemed to be concentrated among Ford Edge/Lincoln Mark 10 owners who got them as OE tires. Take from this what you will, but it tells me that the reviewers may have had other issues that they tried to pin on the OE tires.

- Bad reviews of Continental tires in general seem to crop up among drivers of Audis, Subarus, and to a lesser extent, Hondas and Infinitis. I don't quite know what to make of this, except that there may be some peculiarity to the suspension design philosophies of these brands that make them especially sensitive to the shortcomings that Continental tends to overlook.

Read some of the reviews of the Pilot Super Sport on Tire Rack, and sort them by Lowest Rated. There are a bunch of people who started losing tread after not more than a few autocross sessions, yet the review scores are still fairly decent - reviewers are giving them higher ratings despite what I'd call a serious shortcoming in the tire, while some Continental models get eviscerated in the ratings for things like wanting to follow grooved pavement.

Anyway, my main point is to take any reviews of any tire with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back