Ethanol free gas

mez

We frequent NC quite often. So I decided to bring an empty gas jug to fill up with 93 ethanol free gas. It was only $4,099/gallon. I figure i'll use on my lawn tractor and snowblower. We don't have ethanol free gas in MA. How long can I expect the ethanol free gas to last without it going bad? The 5.5 gallons will probably last to next summer.

lookup Teryl Dactyl on youtube, hes a smalle engine repair person with corny show but good content. he tested all of the stabilizers vs untreated 87 and 91 octine and p racing non ethanol. all lasted over a year, i thin he stopped at 16months. any gas with ethanol left jelly in the barb bowl. the vp racing did not.

How long can I expect the ethanol free gas to last without it going bad?
I only go through around two tanks of fuel per year on my dirtbike, and I've always just added some Sta-bil to the fuel every time I fill it up. Even with 10% ethanol fuel, I've never had an issue, even after up to 8 months of winter storage. I never drain the carb either, I just turn the fuel petcock off and idle the engine until it stalls.

I did switch to ethanol-free 91 octane recently though, and the bike fired up this spring more easily than ever, with just on half-hearted kick. The engine definitely likes the ethanol-free fuel better.

I have no issues using year old non-ethanol gas in my small engines regularly, I've gone up to 2 years without issue, never tried any older than that.

chickanic.com tested several brands of eath free fuel that actually had 5%! truely free from eathanol gas like VP easily lasts over a year + storing gas from the pump in non transparent containers in a dark cool garage is said to be best. today a drum is the best value if you use a lot. been using non eath from various gas pumps without issue in my carbd small engines. my hi strung husqvarna chain saw wants 93 octane non eath for a mixer

Mez, Good for you. Our regular 87 octane now has 15% ethanol added for the summer blend.
I don't think so, I think they just approved the sale of E15 during the summer when it was previously banned, if you're getting 87 it's still E10 max, E15 will be labeled as such and will be 88 octane.

I use E free in all of my 5 small engines. I use a stabilizer and it will be good for two years. Maybe longer but I don't know.

I've used E10 in all of my small engines for the last 10 years and haven't had an issue with it. I make sure the tanks are full and capped / sealed well, and they always fire right up come Spring. No Stabil or anything of that sort.

In a sealed container, it should be fine for 1 year for small engine use. Keep it in a climate controlled room. The lights ends of gasoline evaporate off starting at 95-100°F so keep the container out of sunlight.

Last edited:
I don't think so, I think they just approved the sale of E15 during the summer when it was previously banned, if you're getting 87 it's still E10 max, E15 will be labeled as such and will be 88 octane.
Yes we have it. The pumps are labeled UNL88. Station manager at said location said that it was regular 87 octane fuel with 15% ethanol vs. 10% blend.

Mez, Good for you. Our regular 87 octane now has 15% ethanol added for the summer blend.

Given that 15% ethanol can only legally (per Federal law) be used on 2001 and newer vehicles, and is NOT legal for use in 2000 and prior vehicles, or off-road engines, I don't see how that's possible.

1685410548886.jpg

Most stations here surprisingly haven’t ethanol free premium. The downside is that it’s only 91 and Mobil stations do have 93 octane premium with ethanol added. I’m not really sure if one or the other really benefits my GTI but I do only run premium in that car. I’ll only use ethanol free in my mower and snowblower though.

We have optional 15% 88 octane here, but the standard 87 10% is still available at those stations.

Back