No more Ethanol free gas in Canada?

Yooz guys in Ontario should check your fuel. The regs say 10% ethanol.

:( I was really hoping some regions would be exempted but it was wishful thinking

If they're doing it in Northern Ontario, it's just a matter of time before the whole province is affected.

NOTO was not made aware of these changes, and upon further investigation, we were very disappointed to see that over the course of the pandemic, the Federal Government pushed this regulatory change which came into effect in December 2022.

https://noto.ca/important-update-on-gasoline-ethanol-content-2/

Hard to see how ethanol reduces 45 - 50% GHG emissions given how water and fossil fuel intensive it is to produce.

Take a look at "Laura Farms" YouTube channel.

The amount of aquifer watering that corn needs, and pumps being powered carbureted V8 engines with no emissions controls is eye opening to say the least.

Never mind the multiple levels of specialized equipment to plow, seed, spray, harvest, store and transport the corn

Ontario grown corn probably needs similar levels of irrigation and care, seed to harvest.

The whole renewable fuels process is suspect and won't be fixed anytime soon IMO.

Yooz guys in Ontario should check your fuel. The regs say 10% ethanol.
Yeah I had read stuff at least a year ago indicating to me that there would soon be no ethanol free available.
A local VP racing fuel station claims to have ethanol free, but based on the regulations I'm not sure I believe it. I will be buying some of it soon, and testing it to know for sure before my lawn equipment and Oldsmobile are stored for winter.

After using E10 for 40 years I can say only the 2 cycle in the tank hoses go bad. Only other issues is a bad carb/gas tank design that does not run the tank dry and then water accumulates. Otherwise ti is great for keeping the system clean and water free as long as you run the tanks down before filling.
I've been having to replace all the rubber fuel hoses in my 1984 Cutlass roughly every 5-6 years. I run e10 through the summer when it's driven regularly and then e0 for the last couple of tanks before winter storage. I've put 125k miles on it since 2007. Twice in that time the Quadrajet carburetor has plugged up (once a needle and seat covered in white gunk, which was an easy fix, next time it was something further inside and we swapped it with a spare Quadrajet using the jets etc from the old one. That carburetor has been on there coming up on 10 years now I think.
Unfortunately my problems are going to get worse because I'm no longer able to daily drive it as my truck is my office I start from every day and now there is no ethanol free for my winter storage.
From now on I will run the carb dry before winter and leave very little fuel in the tank and top up before starting in the spring.

I've never replaced a fuel line or fuel pump ever for maintenance. E10 is the standard in Illinois since 1980. At the time I had a Mustang 4 cyl with a carb. It would ping on the straight 87 octane we had then but ran great on the E10. It was a blessing. But we have a good gasoline distribution system and all the tanks have been replaced now. With my 2L turbo Genesis Coupe I ran mom and pop premium for over 8 years exclusively. Currently use Casey's gas for the points.

My cars are usually summer/winter driven with no special long term storage other than battery support. My old John Deere I never drained the gas out of in 23 years and just recently found the carb drain on it when I put a new carb on it....

Tested the Shell 93 V Power today.
E10
View attachment 160001
You test you can make E0. Add water, stir, Decant the water/E mixture off the bottom.

jar.jpg

I've never replaced a fuel line or fuel pump ever for maintenance. E10 is the standard in Illinois since 1980. At the time I had a Mustang 4 cyl with a carb. It would ping on the straight 87 octane we had then but ran great on the E10. It was a blessing. But we have a good gasoline distribution system and all the tanks have been replaced now. With my 2L turbo Genesis Coupe I ran mom and pop premium for over 8 years exclusively. Currently use Casey's gas for the points.

My cars are usually summer/winter driven with no special long term storage other than battery support. My old John Deere I never drained the gas out of in 23 years and just recently found the carb drain on it when I put a new carb on it....
Wow, you should buy a lottery ticket if you never had any issues with leaving e10 in the tanks off season all those years. I hope you know how extremely lucky you are.

Wow, you should buy a lottery ticket if you never had any issues with leaving e10 in the tanks off season all those years. I hope you know how extremely lucky you are.
LOL the only time I've had problems is with a bad gas tank design that you could not run the tank empty with the motor. So water built up. As long as you run the tank to near empty every time and add fresh fuel no water will build up.

I've been using E10 since 1980 so go a lot of experience. Seldom use fuel cleavers. Buy the cheapest gas I can find. I do use Stabil in the yard gas. And I do empty the 2cycle stuff that I seldom use.

And lottery tickets are just a stupid tax.

Same here, we have been an EPA nonattainment area for decades with nothing but oxygenated fuels. I don't always drain my stuff either, I honestly can't believe these dire horror stories about E10. I just don't see it.

I've been having to replace all the rubber fuel hoses in my 1984 Cutlass roughly every 5-6 years. I run e10 through the summer when it's driven regularly and then e0 for the last couple of tanks before winter storage. I've put 125k miles on it since 2007. Twice in that time the Quadrajet carburetor has plugged up (once a needle and seat covered in white gunk, which was an easy fix, next time it was something further inside and we swapped it with a spare Quadrajet using the jets etc from the old one. That carburetor has been on there coming up on 10 years now I think.
Unfortunately my problems are going to get worse because I'm no longer able to daily drive it as my truck is my office I start from every day and now there is no ethanol free for my winter storage.
From now on I will run the carb dry before winter and leave very little fuel in the tank and top up before starting in the spring.
You are using the wrong kind of hose then. I've never replaced them on my old vehicles, ever. Going on 27 years for the old Accord and almost the same for the Sienna and ECHO. Like I noted above all we have here is E10.

You are using the wrong kind of hose then. I've never replaced them on my old vehicles, ever. Going on 27 years for the old Accord and almost the same for the Sienna and ECHO. Like I noted above all we have here is E10.
I am using fuel injection rated rubber hose. This is not just on my car either. My friend has experienced it with his small fleet of classic cars.

it gets bad if you don't drive and refuel them often.
We'll this one was driven at least Monday to Friday from mid April until November every year, from 2007 up until a couple of years ago I had to start taking all my work stuff home with me and take the truck.
But I still do all my weekend driving and long trips in the car. So it goes through countless tanks of fuel per year.

Fuel hose sales must be through the roof here in the five-county nonattainment zone in southeastern Wisconsin. And in the countless other major population areas where RFG mandates exist.

The way I understand it is that the highest octane gas has no ethanol, (94)
It's when you want a lower octane level and then it mixes with the lower octane gas which has ethanol.
At least this what the chicken entrails tell the soothsayer!! :eek: ;)

Back