"Ethanol Free" Fuel, May Not Be

If there's a lobby it's still too big of an airport 😉 You should be able to find an unsecured small strip somewhere with self serve 100LL I would guess, although not sure how far you would have to travel to find one.l where you live.
In my area seeking out AVgas is more expensive and troublesome than it is worth. Even if you go to the small airports, they are pretty secure with coded gates. My uncle is a small plane flight instructor, so I could probably get there, but still way more hassle than installing and using an in-line fuel shut off with regular E10 fuel. I've been doing it for years and never an issue. Unless you own a boat or a small aircraft already, seeking out those fuels seems like a huge waste of time.

In my area seeking out AVgas is more expensive and troublesome than it is worth. Even if you go to the small airports, they are pretty secure with coded gates. My uncle is a small plane flight instructor, so I could probably get there, but still way more hassle than installing and using an in-line fuel shut off with regular E10 fuel. I've been doing it for years and never an issue. Unless you own a boat or a small aircraft already, seeking out those fuels seems like a huge waste of time.
Oh for sure, even if I didn't have easy access to E0 87 and 91 I wouldn't waste my time with it. If someone is concerned and motivated enough in a state where there is no other option for pure gas, than it is what it is I guess. Even then it might be easier to find race fuel at a station located near a track.

I have been using E10 in all my stuff - vehicles, boat, motorcycle, lawn mower, weed eater, blower and generators since 1988 when I first moved to Houston. It was about all you could buy that was close to my home.

In vehicles, the outboard and motorcycle I used straight from the pump.

The small motors I treat with something - was using Sea Foam, then Sta-Bil now I use Star-tron.

I don't have any problems related to fuel.

Sure it is only 36 years but I think this ethanol is the devil is more myth that real.

Yep - way back before equipment was designed to run it it caused problems - but come on E10 has been around since the 1970s.

I have been using E10 in all my stuff - vehicles, boat, motorcycle, lawn mower, weed eater, blower and generators since 1988 when I first moved to Houston. It was about all you could buy that was close to my home.

The small motors I treat with something - was using Sea Foam, then Sta-Bil now I use Star-tron.

Sure it is only 36 years but I think this ethanol is the devil is more myth that real.

Yep - way back before equipment was designed to run it it caused problems - but come on E10 has been around since the 1970s.

Take the fuel bowl off the small engine and see if you find any sort of gel forming. I saw a video on YouTube where there was gel forming from certain additives and Startron was one that did.

It still causes the same problems in new equipment. Power equipment manufacturers haven't changed anything. The main issue is storage. If you store your equipment properly and use stabilizer, run it dry from fuel, and store your stuff inside you won't have any issues.

100% of the problems I see from ethanol are from people storing their fuel cans and equipment outside uncovered in the elements, and leaving old fuel in their machines in the off season.

Kind of agree with you.

I don't get through much fuel in my OPE. I buy enough E10 every Spring to last a season (usually 3-4 litres) and treat with Stabil.

Even after a long wet winter every single piece of OPE started on first pull last weekend on the previous years fuel still in the tanks.

Start with premium.
I am with you. I read some things about this where removal of ethanol can lower 93 as much as 5 points. Not sure if this is true, but the addition of octane booster cant hurt if done properly.

My OPE has never run on anything but 87 octane . My ZTR has never seen E0 . Going on 7 yrs old . Cranks and runs just fine .

It still causes the same problems in new equipment. Power equipment manufacturers haven't changed anything. The main issue is storage. If you store your equipment properly and use stabilizer, run it dry from fuel, and store your stuff inside you won't have any issues.

100% of the problems I see from ethanol are from people storing their fuel cans and equipment outside uncovered in the elements, and leaving old fuel in their machines in the off season.

One issue with old engines - IIRC - was the fuel lines became hard or brittle and that caused all sorts of issues.

I guess I have always used fuel stabilizer in my small engine stuff - even when I could buy non ethanol fuel.

When I store my generator after an emergency I drain every drop of fuel - could be years before I need it again.

Lawn mowers and weed eater I always fill the tank all the way up after every use. The less air in the tank the better.

But have always done this -

Leaving half a tank of untreated fuel in a lawn mower for months was never a good idea.

One issue with old engines - IIRC - was the fuel lines became hard or brittle and that caused all sorts of issues.
That still happens. I've also seen where the ethanol eats the fuel lines and causes them to deteriorate quicker, resulting in those pieces ending up in the carburetor.

I see that the e10 boogyman is alive and well.
One would think that after over 30 years of having ethanol gas, manufacturers would use appropriate materials.

Or maybe they do, but people are stubborn and always like to blame something. 🤔

Personally I never had issues with e10 that were not caused by my poor practices or negligence.
Cost savings with the OPE manufacturers is always a factor. If you turn off the fuel (I also like to use Tygon fuel lines) it prevents a lot of headache.

Back