Old gas in 2024

Since we're not talking about a barn find, I thought that if one kept a tank nearly full, things would generally be ok. Wouldn't hurt I guess to throw in some Sta Bil. If you see Wayne Carini snooping around then all bets are off

I can't speak to a boat. However-I have use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer very year for the past 12 years storing my lawn mower and snow blower as the seasons change. Not a single issue.

In another situation we stored my wife's Subaru (at the time) for 7 months and used fuel stabilizer and also had zero issues.
I treat my lawnmower gas with Sta-Bil ethanol, directly to the tank, while the gas itself has Sta-Bil as well. I guess I was feeling lucky last weekend, and I simply poured the gas from the can to the mower, and didn't look back about having not put any ethanol treatment in the mower's tank. Sometimes we all feel bad a**!

If the fuel is over a year old, and possibly much older I wouldn't be keeping it in there, and drain out as much as possible. You can run that in the Subaru with no issues. The old fuel (unless it is REALLY old) won't hurt your fuel injected car if you run it through, where old fuel damages/gums things up is when it sits there in the tank and fuel system attracting moisture.

Another wrinkle. The marina does not allow any pumping of gas. So I would need to have it put on my trailer and trailer it to Walmart parking lot or similar and do the pump out there.

Just curious, How do you define gas useage in boats? GPH? How much boating does 50 gallons get you?

Donald, Admire your perseverance, this boat has been a PIYA since you started posting about it, you must really be a boat guy. I've known a couple of guys who bought used boats and they experienced "the 2 happiest days of their life" of owning a boat.

Just curious, How do you define gas useage in boats? GPH? How much boating does 50 gallons get you?

Donald, Admire your perseverance, this boat has been a PIYA since you started posting about it, you must really be a boat guy. I've known a couple of guys who bought used boats and they experienced "the 2 happiest days of their life" of owning a boat.
The Queen Mary got 16 feet to the gallon.

My boat engine at WOT should use about 21 gph. But few people run at WOT for very long.

Ok ok ok.... I feel kinda like I have egg on my face, but I wanted to return to this thread and give an update on my "old gas" as it was part of the root problem of a very rough-running Verado 175 this last Saturday.

To re-cap:

I acquired a 2016 Ranger 190LS. It had been sitting for 2 years. The previous owner used only non-ethanol gas and said he put some Stabil in with every fill-up.

I didn't have to deal with nearly 50 gallons, but there was about 15 gallons in the tank. I pumped it out with a $7 HF transfer pump and some 1/2" OD clear tube. I pumped it into three 5-gallon gas jugs.

The gas was clear and smelled "good". I've always heard of bad gas "smelling", but this smelled just like fresh gas.

I've since put 10 of those 15 gallons in 3 of my vehicles and they are running fine. I put it on top of nearly full tanks, so it is diluted.

I suggest you find a way to pump it out and analyze it, maybe pour some in a clear jar and let it sit for an hour. If it smells like normal gas and is clear after sitting, I think you'd be fine burning it in a normal vehicle.

This was my post above. I did what was 90% of a 300 hour service on this engine, oil/filter, lower unit gear oil, fuel filter, fuel/water castle filter, drive belt. I did not replace the thermostat and I did not order spark plugs. I pulled the top of the 4 plugs on this engine and it looked fairly good. This is an in-line 4 and has NGK Iridium plugs factory installed. This engine has 50 hours or less on it.

It had been sitting for 2+ years.

The engine would fire right up and run/idle. It did spit/sputter ONE time for 1 second when I cranked it up at home on ear muffs after the service work. When I trailered it to the lake, I felt like I was having a tough time getting it off the trailer using the motor. The boat was floating except for the far front. I was at 3/4 throttle in reverse and it barely squeaked off the trailer. I wrote it up and I needed the trailer 4-6" farther in the water.

I backed up and I wasn't far from the dock, but it seem like I was a 9 year old who had never driven a boat before trying to dock this thing. I didn't realize it at the time, but I think it was extremely poor performance of the engine giving me fits trying to steer/move the boat. I noticed that when I put it in gear, the engine would vibrate like crazy. The whole boat was shaking. I was instantly distraught, thinking I didn't get something back together right on the lower end. I left it at the marina and asked them to 'figure it out".

They called Wednesday about 1:00 pm. Said it needs new plugs and I needed to "run that boat hard". I explained that I had never run it, just got it, it had been sitting two years. The service manager said "ahhh, it all makes sense now!!!". They said a lot of the vibration had gone away with new plugs but it was still there, they were talking to Mercury about it. Turns out it was dirty fuel injectors. They cleaned them and he called back and said "it runs like a scalded dog now. You're going to really like this boat."

So... I now say get the old gas out and run the engine ASAP with some fresh gas and possible a bottle or two of OTC fuel injector cleaner.

The old gas seemed to burn fine in my vehicles, but it was diluted pretty good, 3-5 gallons to 15 gallons of fresh gas.

There is no magic fuel additive that you can use to make old gas new again. Adding more STA-BIL is not going to do any good.
My vote is for #3.
If you have an outboard you can disconnect the fuel line from the engine and siphon the gas out, starting the flow with the primer bulb. You will likely need to add a 2-4 foot length of fuel line so it will extend down into your fuel container on the ground. Just do it a few gallons at a time and add it to the 3/4 full gas tank on your vehicle.

PRI-G is my go-to for gas stabilization.
PRI-G CB claims they can rejuvenate old gas. Or they did in marketing a year or three ago.

I emailed Chevron asking if that was possible and they said old gas has chemically changed and impossible to rejuvenate. Dilute yes.

So if PRI-G claims things that are impossible then I look elsewhere.

Thinking more about it the gas is a mix of (2/3) 2020 stabilized gas and (1/3) 2022 stabilized gas. Total of about 50 gallons.

I cannot pump the gas with the boat on a work rack. They are near the storage building. Maybe in the marina parking lot or on a trailer I can bring it down the road to fire dept parking lot. Seems like an ideal place to do something with a fire hazard.

I am willing to spend $100 on an electric pump. So find someone with a truck with a tank in the bed to hold the gas.

I’ve been boating my whole life and had more boats than I can remember. One thing for sure there is no way I would leave that gas in there.
One year old gas is borderline two years old or more? Call me crazy but you just looking for trouble in all kinds of ways from the moisture in the fuel corroding fuel system parts to gumming up your injectors it’s just not worth it.
I know you’re in a tough place and don’t know the solution, but I would get that gas out of there put a fresh 25 gallons in with some fuel stabilizer run the engine to make sure it goes through the system and only then would I personally be able to sleep at night.

That system must have a ton of moisture in it as it is especially if it’s 10% ethanol in the gas.
Another suggested, taking the boat out and seeing if you could run it down, then top it off with the fresh 25 gallons and stabilizer.

I’m not sure if everybody knows but even though they say to store a boat with a full tank so you don’t get moisture condensation I never did because there was another school of thought when a boat is on a rack with a full tank you’re creating undue stress on the bottom of the boat. When the boat is in the water, it’s evenly supported by the water when it’s on a rack it is not.

I found someone on CL that has a truck with a tank in the bed. I think I have an electric fuel pump that I tried out in my old boat. But it's probably 20 to 30 GPH. So it might take 2 to 3 hours. A long time. A gasoline transfer pump might be better.

I will need to get the boat on the trailer and then tow the boat out of the marina to a place where I can pump it.

Sorry this just occurred to me now (rather than 6 months ago when it would be useful) but if you had the boat on a trailer then...

(a) you would not need the electric pump because the boat tank would be high enough for siphoning and

(b) if the reason for buying all those gas cans is that the marina was too far from home then you could potentially leave the boat at home until you had used the gas and get by with a single gas can.

we had a 29’ blackfin with twin 454 BBC’s that we let sit for 8 years with about 150 gallons in after buying a 48’ sport fish. the new owner fired it up and piloted it to the nearest fuel dock and filled up with new fuel. don’t over think it, just fill it up with fresh fuel as an air gap allows for moisture.

I could not figure out a good, easy & cheap solution before fork lift service stopped. I dumped a container of blue marine Stabil into a gallon of gas and poured that into the boat's gas tank. Then the fork lift put it back on the rack for the winter.

My experience with Pri-G... Outstanding product! I had 3/4 of a tank of seven+ years old gas in my boat. Storage... out of sight out of mind. The tank holds 60 gallons! What to do with approximately forty gallons of rotten gas... try Pri-G. I super-dosed the gas over the weekend. I added twice the prescribed treatment. I trailer-towed the boat around the block a few times to agitate the mix. The gas that weekend was pink and smelled like varnish. I didn't hold much hope. However, I pulled some of the gas from the tank on the following weekend and was shocked that the gas was nearly clear and smelled like fresh fuel. I then drained the carb bowls and ran all the rotten gas out of the lines. I then primed the system with the newly converted gas and fired up the boat with the water hose attached to the outdrive. I was amazed that it fired right up, the exhaust burn smelled normal, and I took it to the lake. We burned all that gas with no issue!
Not only will Pri-G convert rotten gas, but it also cleans carbon and will clean a fouled carb if you can get it running. The neat thing is it mixes with the fuel and doesn't lay on top to eliminate oxygen phase degeneration like Stabil and the other gas treatment stuff. When you mix Stabil you have to ensure the tank remains stationary so it will again separate and float to the top of the fuel to create its oxygen barrier. If you have a vehicle or tank that will be jostled around Stabil is not a good choice. Pri-G has been used by refineries and the marine industry for years. The first amount I bought was only available in 1-gallon size and up. Since then they've begun offering small cans. The mix ratio is crazy. It's highly concentrated. 1-pint will mix 256 gallons of gas. I buy it by the gallon. It doesn't hurt to overdose... Bottle Size Gasoline Treated...16 Ounces @ 256 gallons; 32 Ounces @ 512 gallons; 1 gallon @ 2,000 gallons. This all breaks down to 1/4 tablespoon of Pri-G per gallon of gas. So a little over a tablespoon will mix a 5-gallon can of gas. I usually use 1-1/2 tablespoons per five gallons and I use it in everything year around. It works well...

My experience with Pri-G... Outstanding product! I had 3/4 of a tank of seven+ years old gas in my boat. Storage... out of sight out of mind. The tank holds 60 gallons! What to do with approximately forty gallons of rotten gas... try Pri-G. I super-dosed the gas over the weekend. I added twice the prescribed treatment. I trailer-towed the boat around the block a few times to agitate the mix. The gas that weekend was pink and smelled like varnish. I didn't hold much hope. However, I pulled some of the gas from the tank on the following weekend and was shocked that the gas was nearly clear and smelled like fresh fuel. I then drained the carb bowls and ran all the rotten gas out of the lines. I then primed the system with the newly converted gas and fired up the boat with the water hose attached to the outdrive. I was amazed that it fired right up, the exhaust burn smelled normal, and I took it to the lake. We burned all that gas with no issue!
Not only will Pri-G convert rotten gas, but it also cleans carbon and will clean a fouled carb if you can get it running. The neat thing is it mixes with the fuel and doesn't lay on top to eliminate oxygen phase degeneration like Stabil and the other gas treatment stuff. When you mix Stabil you have to ensure the tank remains stationary so it will again separate and float to the top of the fuel to create its oxygen barrier. If you have a vehicle or tank that will be jostled around Stabil is not a good choice. Pri-G has been used by refineries and the marine industry for years. The first amount I bought was only available in 1-gallon size and up. Since then they've begun offering small cans. The mix ratio is crazy. It's highly concentrated. 1-pint will mix 256 gallons of gas. I buy it by the gallon. It doesn't hurt to overdose... Bottle Size Gasoline Treated...16 Ounces @ 256 gallons; 32 Ounces @ 512 gallons; 1 gallon @ 2,000 gallons. This all breaks down to 1/4 tablespoon of Pri-G per gallon of gas. So a little over a tablespoon will mix a 5-gallon can of gas. I usually use 1-1/2 tablespoons per five gallons and I use it in everything year around. It works well...
With respect to Pri-G several years ago I bought a boat that had been sitting for 5+ years and came across Pri-G. I emailed Chevron Tech Support about their suggestion. They said the gas has chemically changed and nothing would bring it back to good gas. I pumped all the gas out into 5 gallon buckets and let it evaporate. Might not do that again (let it evaporate). So I dismiss Pri-G claims. Additives can help prevent the gas from going bad but nothing will bring it back. Obviously you can dilute the gas unless phase separation has occurred.

Back