Car prices to plummet amid oversupply

I wonder if the 3 legacy auto's are piling up inventory at high prices expecting a UAW strike anyway - which would again drive up prices presumably?

I wonder if the 3 legacy auto's are piling up inventory at high prices expecting a UAW strike anyway - which would again drive up prices presumably?

I would hope so, but they already have enough trucks on their lots. What people seem to forget is that there is a lot of Big 3 manufacturing in Mexico, so those vehicles will keep coming.

They had chevy Colorados on sale for like 9k back in 08. The sales guy had one stashed in the back for his buddy and wouldn't sell it to us. Blessing in disguise, those 5 cylinders were junk, I'm pretty sure it was the first year of them.

Just finished an early morning watch of this August 15th market report from cox automotive, the news reporter would benefit from better sources. TLDR, people are still paying high prices, high APRs, but they are unsure of what the future holds. *shakes magic 8 ball*

I'm not sure how many times I've heard "prices will plummet" in the last year but I've never seen them budge on the used market locally at all. Mostly seems to be just clickbait at this point. Even new cars I see little to no discounts.

They had chevy Colorados on sale for like 9k back in 08. The sales guy had one stashed in the back for his buddy and wouldn't sell it to us. Blessing in disguise, those 5 cylinders were junk, I'm pretty sure it was the first year of them.
2004 and they weren't junk at all. The 4, 5 and 6 (Envoy, Trailblazer) all shared the same architecture.

Looks like the best option for cheap used right now is a sedan. Probably because demand is for anything that looks like a SUV. I guess nobody wants to drive a top of the line Toyota Avalon because they are selling cheaper than an old rusted RAV4. Going to see one today.

Looks like the best option for cheap used right now is a sedan. Probably because demand is for anything that looks like a SUV. I guess nobody wants to drive a top of the line Toyota Avalon because they are selling cheaper than an old rusted RAV4. Going to see one today.
Love the Avalon if one can get a awesome deal...... The Avalon was discontinued either in 2022 or 2023.

Ronald Reagan’s gray market laws were wrong then and are wrong now.

Cars sold in 1st world countries have to meet their emissions and crash standards so they aren’t any more of a death trap than anything else.

If we are terrified of new cars impacting our market set a reasonable baseline for reciprocity like 5 years, use the good will to motivate euro zone for same.
Mercedes Benz USA, the importer of Mercedes, lobbied for those laws. Back in the day you could take a European vacation, buy a new VW or Merc or whatever, drive it a few weeks so it was "used", and bring it back to the states via the grey market.

MBUSA has attached a price premium to its product, and didn't like getting the run-around. You would see a w123 taxi in Beirut, for example, which cost that guy a lot less than the same car stateside.

Mercedes Benz USA, the importer of Mercedes, lobbied for those laws. Back in the day you could take a European vacation, buy a new VW or Merc or whatever, drive it a few weeks so it was "used", and bring it back to the states via the grey market.

MBUSA has attached a price premium to its product, and didn't like getting the run-around. You would see a w123 taxi in Beirut, for example, which cost that guy a lot less than the same car stateside.
That’s what the rest of the world does to our used cars, the American consumer is held hostage to few used cars while the foreign bidders export them all

I hope truck prices drop, as they are exactly 50% higher than they have traditionally been, when adjusted for inflation, via the CPI (consumer price index)

A $38K truck in 2009 should be $55-56K and have incentives/discounts, Instead, that very same model with no additional features is now $79,999 with 5% to 10% dealer mark-up.
Word. In 2020 my kid wrecked my truck and I bought a used 2018 F150 that had originally been a 53k sticker - XLT with everything you could cram into one including BLIS and a POS moonroof.. I possibly paid more for that truck used than the original owner paid new (38k was my price). That same truck built on Ford's site now stickers at 62,700

• Wow
Reactions: GON

Had a friend in the military buy a new German spec Porsche 911 S in Germany. Took the paperwork to Florida for registration and plates while he shipped the car to Canada. Picked the car up in Canada, slapped the Florida plates on, and drove it back into the States. New Porsche with Florida plates, Immigration and Customs didn't bat an eye.

Somebody said prices were dropping 10 grand on 3/4 trucks in Texas. I'm still waiting for the link....

Had a friend in the military buy a new German spec Porsche 911 S in Germany. Took the paperwork to Florida for registration and plates while he shipped the car to Canada. Picked the car up in Canada, slapped the Florida plates on, and drove it back into the States. New Porsche with Florida plates, Immigration and Customs didn't bat an eye.
You have to be able to afford to this kind of trick though

Somebody said prices were dropping 10 grand on 3/4 trucks in Texas. I'm still waiting for the link....
Dropping $10,000 from what?

Downtown Houses in 2012/2014 this area were $25,000
They went up to close to $200,000 2021 and now are $160,000

Did the price really drop?

Dropping $10,000 from what?

Downtown Houses in 2012/2014 this area were $25,000
They went up to close to $200,000 2021 and now are $160,000

Did the price really drop?
Half-ton trucks have gone up $15,000 in the last three years. I am assuming the same holds true for 3/4 ton trucks. The point being he said there were discounts of $10,000 off the current MSRP. I am still waiting for verification. But to your point-even if it's true-yes they would still be higher than the MSRP of three years ago.

Back