Car prices to plummet amid oversupply

I hope truck prices drop, as they are exactly 50% higher than they have traditionally been, when adjusted for inflation, via the CPI (consumer price index)

A $38K truck in 2009 should be $55-56K and have incentives/discounts, Instead, that very same model with no additional features is now $79,999 with 5% to 10% dealer mark-up.
Sad thing is people are buying them up like 10 cent candies .

Many Japanese cars are in very short supply. No deals and limited choices still...
My local Honda dealer has a lot that's about four acres. Before the pandemic it was always completely packed, now it's barely a half acre full including used inventory. The VW dealer next door is in the same situation.

My local Honda dealer has a lot that's about four acres. Before the pandemic it was always completely packed, now it's barely a half acre full including used inventory. The VW dealer next door is in the same situation.
Same here but my big Ford dealership is packed... nobody can af-ford Fords anymore.

Around my area the Honda and Toyota dealers are very low on vehicles with no Hybrids in stock and the Civics are gone before they hit the lot. Subarus are a hot item here too. The Ford, GM, and Jeep/Mopar lots seem to be fairly well stocked. I cannot find a Toyota Rav 4 hybrid and would really like to drive one to see if I like it.

There is a local Ram dealership that has started chopping prices, but they are still nowhere in price chopper category that makes me comfortable. I think dealers are still sitting on boatloads of fleeced cash, but they might start starving in 3-6 months.

I'm thinking, while this might move the average selling price of $48k down, the truth is, stuff will be staying above $30k. And anything below $30k will likely keep marching higher (if nothing else, because there is so little there). The days of getting stuff for $20k are past (or rapidly here, what's left, a Versa and the departing Mirage?).

So for those of us who have never shopped above the $30k mark... probably aren't going to see a difference.

There is a local Ram dealership that has started chopping prices, but they are still nowhere in price chopper category that makes me comfortable. I think dealers are still sitting on boatloads of fleeced cash, but they might start starving in 3-6 months.
Are they chopping them down the $15,000.00 they have gone in the last three years? Even if they did-that means you are paying WHAT WAS MSRP three years ago.

Just finished a conversation with a local repair shop I use. He has a auction license and flips cars.. He said he’s pretty much given up going to the auction. In recent months local dealerships in this area are being outbid by foreign entities. The used vehicles are shipped overseas and sold at triple the price! I was shocked to hear that.

Imagine what would happen to the car market if our betters would permit us to import new or almost new vehicles directly from Europe instead of 25+ year old beaters. Dealers here would have to quit mulcting buyers by bloating the MSRPs. Foreign competition would put a pins in their balloons. Of course we could get some pretty ineresting vehicles here.

Never understood why car enthusiasts allowed the solons to throttle our automotive ardour like that w/o even a whimper.

Yeah "plummet" is a strong word.
Total click bait garbage......
I really hate media lately.

It's all about traffic vs actual news

Just finished a conversation with a local repair shop I use. He has a auction license and flips cars.. He said he’s pretty much given up going to the auction. In recent months local dealerships in this area are being outbid by foreign entities. The used vehicles are shipped overseas and sold at triple the price! I was shocked to hear that.

This is the reason we need export tarriffs on used cars

IMG_4312.jpeg

Imagine what would happen to the car market if our betters would permit us to import new or almost new vehicles directly from Europe instead of 25+ year old beaters. Dealers here would have to quit mulcting buyers by bloating the MSRPs. Foreign competition would put a pins in their balloons. Of course we could get some pretty ineresting vehicles here.

Never understood why car enthusiasts allowed the solons to throttle our automotive ardour like that w/o even a whimper.

Ronald Reagan’s gray market laws were wrong then and are wrong now.

Cars sold in 1st world countries have to meet their emissions and crash standards so they aren’t any more of a death trap than anything else.

If we are terrified of new cars impacting our market set a reasonable baseline for reciprocity like 5 years, use the good will to motivate euro zone for same.

Last edited:
They dont sell, everyone talks about them, no one buys them.
We have bought two now... The base 03 Tracker was really base, no power locks or windows, and no radio at all! but a head unit plugged in no problem. It was lacking AC which was fine until the kids came along.
The base Outback in Canada, isn't very "base" IMHO. Heated front seats, power drivers seat, big enough screen with apple carplay. They didn't even put in any obvious blank spots on the dash to remind you that you are missing something! It does have steel wheels with OK plastic covers, but I guess those are better for my wife's offroad adventures...

Now good bike prices have crashed already due to oversupply/lack of demand. Almost every brand has chopped 20-30% off some models at least. I've bought 3 this summer now that they are a bit more reasonable.

Back