Texas about to do away with auto inspections

Not even remotely and minutely the same thing.
Did I say it’s the same thing?

You’re justifying confiscation of property for noncompliance with a stupid tag, which is around $100 in most states. How does that even make sense in one’s head?
It’s that kind of thinking that will also justify imprisoning people for expressing unpopular opinions.

No, you need cops that are doing their jobs. If you can see bad lights then so could they. Also when they stop cars like that, they often find other issues such as no driver's licensees, no insurance, drunk drivers, drugs, etc.

A once a year vehicle test is not a substitute for police being on the road and looking at cars 365 days per year.
No thanks - we actually just reduced the amount of minor things like this here in VA that LE can pull you over for as a primary reason (light out, loud exhaust, tint, etc.). Obviously during a speeding stop etc. they can also cite you for compliance issues like this. Reduces the number of interactions with the public/LE over minor things which is safer for everyone generally and lets them focus on more serious issues. Are annual inspections perfect? Nope....but better to me than zero and asking LE to spend their day wrangling minor crap on folks' cars.

Ohio doesn’t have safety inspections. I’m still amazed I put the MG on the road after an 18 year hiatus without any inspection at all. Contrast that with Pennsylvania where they actually scrutinize everything. My dad once failed because he had a pinhole air leak in his windshield washer, and it took several seconds to prime it if you hadn’t used it in a while.

No thanks - we actually just reduced the amount of minor things like this here in VA that LE can pull you over for as a primary reason (light out, loud exhaust, tint, etc.).

They did, but a lot of people complained about excessive loud exhaust noise and they changed the law.

The Virginia safety inspection doesn't care about exhaust noise.

Did I say it’s the same thing?

You’re justifying confiscation of property for noncompliance with a stupid tag, which is around $100 in most states. How does that even make sense in one’s head?
It’s that kind of thinking that will also justify imprisoning people for expressing unpopular opinions.
Same principle as with a 4 year old. If the perceived consequence is too severe they won't risk it and receive the consequences. And if someone knowingly creates and uses a fake plate then too bad for them. They knew. They did it anyway. Oops, consequences. And no, with minimal exceptions, one isn't imprisoned for expressing their opinion or making statements.

Same principle as with a 4 year old. If the perceived consequence is too severe they won't risk it and receive the consequences. And if someone knowingly creates and uses a fake plate then too bad for them. They knew. They did it anyway. Oops, consequences. And no, with minimal exceptions, one isn't imprisoned for expressing their opinion or making statements.
Yup, use the wrong oil as approved by the EPA and kiss your vehicle goodbye. Oops, consequences.

Here's an idea. If you have an illegitimate/illegal tag on your vehicle upon conviction you forfeit your vehicle and pay all court and legal costs. And tags are checked for validity during the mandatory annual safety inspection that remains in force.
Don't you have to have a valid tag to pass state inspection in all states that have it? I know Pa. and WV we did.

I will still need an emissions test where I live, under HB3297 that passed the Texas Leg.
Of note, it has not been signed by the Governor, but I don't see any reason it woudn't be.

Not signing would be seen as a betrayal by far-right folks in more rural areas. Abbott needs to appeal to these folks to make the next jump to running for President in 2028.

I remember Texas (Houston) inspections- mechanic drove your car around the shop/station lot. That was it. Always "failed" you for poorly adjusted headlights. You paid $10 for a needless aiming and went on your way. It was a joke.
Can inspection stations adjust headlights for you?

B
There has never been any inspections in SC. While I do see the occasional unsafe beater, or a little overmodified vehicle, overall I don't see inspections doing much for the public good. Just another bureaucracy holding kangaroo Court over some poor person trying to make it to work every day.

There are a few the police really should pull over, they simply choose not to. The solution isn't a shake down of everyone else on the road.

And yes, every one of mine would pass any inspection they could come up with - except I no longer have CARB compliant cats. I guess I could swap them if needed.
Bingo. Protect this man at all cost.

In the state that you would think would be way better. At least liberty returns in a small way that day it is eliminated.
And poor people don't have to pay a cost they can not afford, to some crap head that is out for the $.

Texas safety inspections in Bexar county are the dumbest thing ever. Honk the horn, check the wipers, and drive the car around the parking lot. Total inspection time is 3 minutes. The new place I take my cars to doesn't even drive the car around the parking lot, so it takes two minutes. I swear it takes her longer to print out the receipt.

Reactions: D60
Back