BP gas pump horror!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It alright if you like to take you rebates up from with the form of a discount like i normally pump between 50.00 to 60.00 dollars worth of 87 octane at a time which if I pump $50.00 * .0015 = .08 in a rebate that i can take next time i fuel up. Of course you could build a pool to use later and take a bigger rebate but it essentially is a 1% cash back now.

Since you guys know so much about fuel delivery, what do you think about this:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Justin,

We do have a 76 branded station in Harrisburg, PA. They receive fuel from our Cahokia, IL terminal, which is most generally supplied with product from our Wood River, IL refinery.

Web Consumer Services
1-800-527-5476

From IL to Harrisburg, PA is roughly 788 mi, 14 hours away????
confused.gif

For gas rebates I use Bank of America 3% gas back. 2% groceries, 1% everything else.

Its been mentioned in previous rebate card threads, but the PenFed Visa is the best one going - 5% at ANY gas station and its applied to the statement that month - not waiting for $25 to be reached or for the next billing cycle. I'm sure its only a matter of time before they curtail the nice gas rebates, though.

The only bad thing about the pen fed card is that you have to be affiliated with the military to get an account with the Pen Fed Credit Union. Once you get that out of the way then you have to try for the card. So not everyone can acquire the card just like trying to get a USAA account.

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
According to epa.gov every state has a mandate that requires the use of 10% ethanol in the gas.

Wrong. Some states have a 10% ethanol mandate(ex:Minnesota), and some urban areas within certain states have a 10% ethanol mandate. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/air_quality/publications/fact_book/page16.cfm

When one goes to www.pure-gas.org can click on IA for IOWA which I assume the OP is from you don't get much for station results. Just my observations.

They don't bother listing any stations in Iowa because every single gas station in Iowa offers at least one zero ethanol blend of gasoline. Usually the lowest octane and highest octane grades are pure gas, while the mid-grade is 10% ethanol (and properly labeled as such). The exception to this is stations that offer only two octane grades of gas. In this case, the low grade (87 octane) is pure gas while the high grade (89 octane) is a 10% ethanol blend.

Last edited:
While I'm sure that BP is good gas in terms of additive quantity and quality I always get lower mpg using BP so I stopped using them. Not sure if others have experienced this.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable

This morning I was filling up at a BP station, I looked across the street and chuckled as I saw a generic tanker pumping no-name fuel into the no-name convenience store's underground tank...

And I'm at the no-name gas station looking across the street at the BP and Mobil stations, chuckling at the people paying 20 cents per gallon more for the exact same gas I'm pumping....

I always experience inconsistencies myself but i blame that on it not always being a popular gas station when my local Kroger and it cross street competitor Flash Foods are always cheaper by 5 cents or so on the low grade. I always see Flash get a tanker once a day and see BP get one like once a week or twice depending. I have never had a problem but my Subie sure lets me know when its fresher.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Additives are added by the refinery at the refinery.

You are wrong.
All refineries pump their gas into the same pipelines, the basic specifications for the gas are set by the Federal Government. No oil companies exceed the government standards because it is not a smart thing to do from a dollars and cents standpoint.
All distributors draw their gas from the same pipelines. Ethanol is added by the distributor as REQUIRED by the Federal Government in certain geographical areas. The additive packages required by the individual oil companies are added either by the distributor or at the truck during delivery.

Last edited:
You think its the same gas until you pop the top and look at all the deposits left behind. Consumer Reports just did a report on America's favorite gas station and its Shell once again. But in the article they did show their experiments and the valves pulled on engines showed way more deposits when the cars were driven on no-name gas.

You think its the same gas until you pop the top and look at all the deposits left behind. Consumer Reports just did a report on America's favorite gas station and its Shell once again. But in the article they did show their experiments and the valves pulled on engines showed way more deposits when the cars were driven on no-name gas.

I've been using no-name gas for years now and I haven't NEEDED to "pop the top" yet. I've experienced absolutely no difference in performance or fuel economy compared to name-brand stations. The whole top-tier thing is incredibly overblown and overrated.

I always experience inconsistencies myself but i blame that on it not always being a popular gas station when my local Kroger and it cross street competitor Flash Foods are always cheaper by 5 cents or so on the low grade. I always see Flash get a tanker once a day and see BP get one like once a week or twice depending. I have never had a problem but my Subie sure lets me know when its fresher.

Eh.. does it matter? I use Murphy gas with FP60/FP60+ every fill up. Murphy is not top tier, what makes it top tier seems to be the ad pack... so why not add your own and quit worrying where the gas comes from?

That said the local Murphy is often just a tiny bit cheaper than the next closest Shell station. The closest Chevron always seems to be 15-20c higher per gallon!

The Murphy gas stations around here (Walmart) let you purchase a detergent additive package at the pump.

Originally Posted By: wag123
The Murphy gas stations around here (Walmart) let you purchase a detergent additive package at the pump.

Which I do not opt for, then I drive right home and add FP60+.. or if I happen to be carrying it I add it before hand. :p

Additives are added by the refinery at the refinery.

No oil companies exceed the government standards because it is not a smart thing to do from a dollars and cents standpoint.
I don't think this is true either. Wasn't the whole point of the Top Tier program because some felt the government standards weren't good enough?

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
No oil companies exceed the government standards because it is not a smart thing to do from a dollars and cents standpoint.
I don't think this is true either. Wasn't the whole point of the Top Tier program because some felt the government standards weren't good enough?

Pipelines ARE the method of transporting gas from the refineries to the distributors in the United States. The basic parameters/specifications for the gas that is pumped into the pipeline by the refineries are set and monitored by the government. It wouldn't benefit any oil company's bottom line to pump BETTER gas into the pipeline than is required.
As far as the "Top Tier" gas is concerned, this is what the additive packages do to "improve" the generic gas taken from the pipeline. Each of the oil companies require that their own additive package be added to gas sold at their own stations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco Esquandoles
Eh.. does it matter? I use Murphy gas with FP60/FP60+ every fill up. Murphy is not top tier, what makes it top tier seems to be the ad pack... so why not add your own and quit worrying where the gas comes from?
+1 here....

Yep....which is why I typically always add a dose of MMO to my fuel...or whatever other additive I can find cheap :p [censored], last month it was "AUTOGUARD Gas Treatment" from the dollartree.com
wink.gif
Can't beat that for a buck! And I did notice a longer tank run....but not necessarily a MPG increase.....whatever that means...lol. Basically, got a real good "trip meter" reading from a tank, plugged it into fuelly, and my MPG was down....hehe.

But I don't know...the couple times I tried Shell, it seemed the MPG "bottoms out" with the top tier.....basically, once it does it's cleaning, you no longer see a MPG increase
wink.gif
Soooo...now I basically only use top tier (depending on price...) maybe once a month or so....typically Mobil, or Shell as those are the 2 big ones in my area...

Originally Posted By: sdowney717
Or maybe the truck driver has a button to push, one for BP, one Mobil, one for WaWA, etc...

not a button. You just hook the hose up to the correct line, turn the correct valve open.

Wawa more than likely does not have a proprietary additive package. They more than likely buy fuel from the refinery with a basic additive package that just meets the EPA standard.

Correct, tankers are compartmentalized so one truck can deliver more than one gas.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Justin,

We do have a 76 branded station in Harrisburg, PA. They receive fuel from our Cahokia, IL terminal, which is most generally supplied with product from our Wood River, IL refinery.

Web Consumer Services
1-800-527-5476

From IL to Harrisburg, PA is roughly 788 mi, 14 hours away????
confused.gif

any thoughts on 76 telling me the gas travels 788 hours?

Exactly, there IS a difference, not with the basic gas itself but with the proprietary detergents they add, which can make a HUGE difference in the carbon deposits left behind.

TOP TIER GAS SPECS ARE NOT JUST MARKETING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back