PEA Concentrations at the Gas Pump

Both Chevron and Texaco gasoline contain PEA detergent straight from the pump, but has anyone ever measured the concentration level compared to adding a PEA fuel cleaner such as Techron or Redline?

How would you test a fuel to determine the concentration of PEA or other fuel detergent additives?

I used always use Top Tier fuels, but Techron PEA injector cleaner did a good job cleaning some partially clogged fuel injectors on a used motorcycle I bought, so now I try to run a tank of Chevron or Texaco gas through my fuel injected vehicles every couple of fill ups.

Not sure if it's actually helping anything, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
The concentrations have been posted on BITOG before. The dosage very small and essentially intended to keep injectors clean rather than clean injectors. This is different from an off the shelf product which is designed to clean the fuel system.

I know most here look down on upper cylinder lubricants. It could be my imagination but the HR-V seems to run better when SI-1 or Amsoil UCL is in the tank.

Would love to use it on a regular basis instead of just a couple of times a year.

According to Afton, it does have an effect:
View attachment 173344

A vendor in China who sells a ton of it had this to say - which might be one of the reasons the experience is subjective:
View attachment 173347
You CAN use a oil with a significant ester content to aid in this very thing as it's become quite apparent that @High Performance Lubricants and a few others have been known the get rings unstuck and to do that is no easy task. I have heard positive responses from people also on Redline,Lubegard Biotech,Valvoline Restore,Amsoil SS and some of ExxonMobil higher end EP lines,0w40,ESP. I have a thought that TT fuel probably causes less wear but how much I can't say.

Yes, tank cleaning is a thing. Also yes, leaks are common. Google underground storage tank leakage and you’ll find that a lot of leaks go undetected or unreported.
If they're undetected, how does one know there's a leak?

You CAN use a oil with a significant ester content to aid in this very thing as it's become quite apparent that @High Performance Lubricants and a few others have been known the get rings unstuck and to do that is no easy task. I have heard positive responses from people also on Redline,Lubegard Biotech,Valvoline Restore,Amsoil SS and some of ExxonMobil higher end EP lines,0w40,ESP. I have a thought that TT fuel probably causes less wear but how much I can't say.

Didn't realize Red Line was in the ~20-40% range. Figured it was less like the others which is why I thought the 50% of blue restore might be harsh.

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 8.04.14 AM.png

There's also this to consider:

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 8.17.26 AM.png

My mechanic used to buy 300v religiously as he thought it was 100% ester and would be perfect for cleaning/protection.

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 8.01.14 AM.png

Unless you're already knowledgable about the types of esters and their amounts in each formula, I think it's easy to get caught up in the marketing.

We're often seeing reformulations so it's also tough to rely on old testimonials. Are these reformulations for the better?

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 8.32.59 AM.png

Because of all this, I'm happy we have access to HPL and I'm glad to support them.

They're here answering our questions and their products are as advertised.

Because of all this, I'm happy we have access to HPL and I'm glad to support them.

They're here answering our questions and their products are as advertised.

There's a small company in China called Endu which became popular thanks to their oil forum. The internet educated younger Chinese on the importance of good oil and with the increase in income, a new market emerged.

I thought it's freaking cool how they put the content %'s on the back of the bottles.

A lot less chance of being mislead

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 8.54.25 AM.jpg

Both Chevron and Texaco gasoline contain PEA detergent straight from the pump, but has anyone ever measured the concentration level compared to adding a PEA fuel cleaner such as Techron or Redline?

How would you test a fuel to determine the concentration of PEA or other fuel detergent additives?

I used always use Top Tier fuels, but Techron PEA injector cleaner did a good job cleaning some partially clogged fuel injectors on a used motorcycle I bought, so now I try to run a tank of Chevron or Texaco gas through my fuel injected vehicles every couple of fill ups.

Not sure if it's actually helping anything, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

There's no requirement to use PEA, and I would venture that at this point the big companies (including companies like Lubrizol and Afton) use more than PEA as detergents based on lots of research.

There's a small company in China called Endu which became popular thanks to their oil forum. The internet educated younger Chinese on the importance of good oil and with the increase in income, a new market emerged.

I thought it's freaking cool how they put the content %'s on the back of the bottles.

A lot less chance of being mislead

View attachment 173526
I'm gonna pass on as much as possible from the PRC.

I buy Shell 93 octane down here in Florida and cars performs well.

It would be nice to see lab tested results of PEA and octane of what you are getting at pump.

Last edited:
I’ve tested european gas and diesel from Shell (V-power), BP (Ultimate) etc. Also I’ve tested BG, Techron, Archoil etc cleaners. I used BG deposit cleaner additives test kit for it.
And PEA concentration in gas/diesel VS Cleaner 15x less in BP Ultimate (and polish Verva gas), V-Power was 40x less than BG 44K or Texaco Techron cleaner.

Interesting, didn't realize a test kit existed of this nature. Can't seem to locate it in the US even though BG seems to make it.

One MSDS for BG44k Platinum indicates 25-50% Proprietary (likely PEA), then a few other proprietary components 13-20gal. Looks like it costs $25/11oz can.
Techron also recommends a fairly high dosage of 1oz/gal, but is less concentrated 10-20%.

I guess it all depends on the dosage of the additive to gas you are using before testing. Or are you testing straight additive?

I’ve tested european gas and diesel from Shell (V-power), BP (Ultimate) etc. Also I’ve tested BG, Techron, Archoil etc cleaners. I used BG deposit cleaner additives test kit for it.
And PEA concentration in gas/diesel VS Cleaner 15x less in BP Ultimate (and polish Verva gas), V-Power was 40x less than BG 44K or Texaco Techron cleaner.

Cool! What is the test kit? Can it detect PEA in any unleaded gas?

Cool! What is the test kit? Can it detect PEA in any unleaded gas?
Exactly gas, diesel, gas/diesel with different cleaners !
Deposit Control Additive in Fuel Test Kit
BG PN 995DCA
I’m testing all fuels from Slovakia/Austria/Poland:) very interesting results:
Shell normal diesel is the same as V-Power, so no need to pay more) BP Ultimate gas is really cool, but Diesel is not (minimum Pea), in V-Power 100 x3 PEA than in V-Power 95.

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8274.jpeg
    IMG_8274.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8275.jpeg
    IMG_8275.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 7
GULF gasoline in PUERTO RICO is on the list at TOP TIER Gasoline , why not the U.S. ? :rolleyes:+ :mad: +:(

Last edited:
Exactly gas, diesel, gas/diesel with different cleaners !
Deposit Control Additive in Fuel Test Kit
BG PN 995DCA
I’m testing all fuels from Slovakia/Austria/Poland:) very interesting results:
Shell normal diesel is the same as V-Power, so no need to pay more) BP Ultimate gas is really cool, but Diesel is not (minimum Pea), in V-Power 100 x3 PEA than in V-Power 95.

seems like it cannot be found anymore?

I'd be curious to see what it is here. I run Kwik Trip fuel, which seems counter intuitive for a turbo car as their 91 octane premium is ethanol free. Most would tell me that the 93 octane 10% ethanol would be my best option, but it isn't consistently available based on my travels and traction with my set up isn't great so I keep the car on a stage 1 91 octane low torque tune. I haven't ran into any issues so I haven't upped the tune at all. If I add more tire and manage to get grip in warmer weather I'll consider some tuning adjustments.

Back