Any benefit to one top tier gas over another?

I use Costco, Mobil, Shell and Chevron. Occasionally when I'm at an Indian reservation I get gas there because gas is much cheaper at reservations due to taxation in California.
Do the tribal stations carry Top Tier gas or does that vary by location?

Branded fuels are typically top tier. My GMC truck spark knocks (bad) on Sheets 87 octane but runs fine on Shell, 76, and Amoco.
If Top Tier gas is important to you, you might want to check the Top Tier list. Some branded fuels are not on the list, and on my x-country trip last year, I encountered that situation at various branded stations.

The top tier gas stations I have access to are 76, Chevron, and Sinclair. The local Chevron stations don't have the top tier sticker on the pumps, but are listed as top tier on the top tier website.
sadly the only shell stations all seem to be in kennewick. on i90, i wait until i get to kittitas for their shell station, even though the rest of that gas station is a 3rd world disaster

I use the cheapest top tier gas which is ARCO in my area. I've used Chevron, Shell and 76/Unocal before and can't tell any difference in performance or fuel economy. So I stick with ARCO most of the time.

I say yes. For one, top tier is branded gasoline. They get specific additives at the terminal. Non top tier are non branded.

Since Costco is top tier and cheaper, that’s what I use. In the rare instances where I can’t, I do prefer 76 and Conoco, also top tier. By my upside app steers me to Speedway (20+ cents less) so I do get non top tier there…

I've had success with the NY Shell stations selling me 93 octane fuel that is actually what it claims to be. The local Exxon station, along with the Gulf station and a few others sell me 87 from the premium pump. I've heard it is the NY-NJ mafia.

In any case, "IF" I get 93 octane fuel, it does not seem to matter where it is purchased from. The "timing pulls" are the same. Adding Techron does tend to improve things, regardless of where the fuel was purchased.

If they don't care to advertise at the station what's the point? I'm willing to bet that 90% of the local gas buyers here in rural Central Illinois have never heard of Top Tier gas. Certainly not at the gas pump or station. Why is that?

If they don't care to advertise at the station what's the point? I'm willing to bet that 90% of the local gas buyers here in rural Central Illinois have never heard of Top Tier gas. Certainly not at the gas pump or station. Why is that?
I'd say most people are looking for the cheapest product, no matter what you are talking about.

I'd say most people are looking for the cheapest product, no matter what you are talking about.
Here the prices locally are all within a couple cents. But go town to town and then it starts to vary. And then there is the northern part and southern part that must be regional as they vary quite a bit sometimes. All within 25 miles. Mostly coming from two pipeline terminal.

But my point was if they aren't advertising their Top Tier status are they leaving some potential sales?

Personally I've always felt Top Tier is nothing more than a marketing organization dedicated to extorting money out of the oil industry. Oil companies pay for the license to use the term "Top Tier". The consumer is guaranteed some minimum level detergent, but most quality gasolines meet the TT standard before paying to use the catchy title Top Tier. I used bp long before they bought into the license. Anyone want to guess how many fuel related failures I had before/after Top Tier?

Personally I've always felt Top Tier is nothing more than a marketing organization dedicated to extorting money out of the oil industry. Oil companies pay for the license to use the term "Top Tier". The consumer is guaranteed some minimum level detergent, but most quality gasolines meet the TT standard before paying to use the catchy title Top Tier. I used bp long before they bought into the license. Anyone want to guess how many fuel related failures I had before/after Top Tier?
Remember when BP was doing their Pure Gas advertising a few years ago? Illinois requires 10% ethanol in all grades and I wondered how long that would last. If it weren't for BITOG and cheesy boilerplate car articles I would never know about TT gas here is the flatlands.

Back