Bimmer owners - Any decent used model?

Last edited:
OP, if you decide on buying any bimmer, have it undergo a full pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. If you're in the US try www.bimrs.org. Also, find out which chapter of the BMWCCA is your local chapter. Contact the officers to see what shops they recommend.

My son's buddy is a BMW dealership tech. He says they are turned in at the end of the lease for a reason. When that bumper to bumper warranty expires you lease a new one.

Paco

My son's buddy is a BMW dealership tech. He says they are turned in at the end of the lease for a reason. When that bumper to bumper warranty expires you lease a new one.

Paco
Yeah and it's for two main reasons.

1. Most people who are leasing a BMW could care less about driving, it is about the badge and status. They want the newest and greatest.

2. The new cars do not have the character and dynamics of the older cars, so why pay for the maintenance and upkeep on what is essentially an expensive appliance?

Yeah and it's for two main reasons.

1. Most people who are leasing a BMW could care less about driving, it is about the badge and status. They want the newest and greatest.

2. The new cars do not have the character and dynamics of the older cars, so why pay for the maintenance and upkeep on what is essentially an expensive appliance?
Oh I don't know about that. Anecdotally when I used to receive Roundel the letters to the editor would frequently contain comments from owners who've owned some crazy number of BMWs over the past 20 yrs that could only be accomplished by leasing. Plenty of BMW enthusiasts lease simply because they can, BMW would subsidize the lease, and it was in part treated like a hobby. I think the lease penetration for M-cars going back to the E46 M3 was something like 80%-90%. IF you want a BMW V8 the smart money says lease it or wait until it has been fully depreciated and pay in repairs.

The Lexus will absolutely be more reliable, I tested a few IS350s before buying my Bimmer, and I just didn't like them. They seemed really cramped (even for someone only 5'10), and the steering was a bit light and twitchy. The driving experience was worth the maintenance trade off to me, and even after 7 years of ownership and close to 70k miles I don't regret my decision.

Oil changes on the BMW are super easy, I can change the oil on it faster than I can my Jeep Wrangler.

Mine is a 2009 328i E90 generation. Reliability really depends on the specific car you are looking at. I would avoid the V8 models, and the early turbo I-6 and turbo 4 cylinder models.

I would consider the naturally aspirated models with the N52 3.0L i-6 found in 2006-2011 325/328/330 models, or for newer than that, the turbo i-6 N55 (2011-2014 335i) and current B58 turbo i-6 found in 2015+ 340i models. The 4 cylinder turbo engines had timing chain issues prior to 2015 when they were revised.

They can be reliable with proper maintenance. Change the oil on time, and have it looked over by a shop yearly if you can't do your own maintenance. I commuted over 100 miles/day in my car for 4 years, and it has been on several 2000+ mile road trips.
It’s all a crapshoot.

I bought a 2007 335i coupe and took delivery 12/06.

The scary internet convinced me an extended warranty was a must have and a slam dunk. So I haggled and got a BMW 7/100 for $2800.

Looking back a fool and his money are easily parted. No claims. In 17.5 years of ownership one thing broke. The DSC hydro which was < $500 DIY. How can anybody here possibly know or have a sample size large enough to actually predict if a BMW is reliable or not 😂

The internet and lawyers can do two things for you. They can hold your hand and tell you everything is gonna be ok. They can assist when you’ve committed a crime. That’s about it imho

It’s all a crapshoot.

I bought a 2007 335i coupe and took delivery 12/06.

The scary internet convinced me an extended warranty was a must have and a slam dunk. So I haggled and got a BMW 7/100 for $2800.

Looking back a fool and his money are easily parted. No claims. In 17.5 years of ownership one thing broke. The DSC hydro which was < $500 DIY. How can anybody here possibly know or have a sample size large enough to actually predict if a BMW is reliable or not 😂

The internet and lawyers can do two things for you. They can hold your hand and tell you everything is gonna be ok. They can assist when you’ve committed a crime. That’s about it imho
I purchased an extended warranty on my 335d for 7/75k miles. After the factory warranty expired I had what was essentially the entire SCR system replaced and it was in the shop for this same issue 3-4 times over a 12 month period.

Do you remember when all the HPFPs were failing on the N54 and the chronic wastegate issues? Did you still have factory solenoid injectors? Did your extended warranty cover gaskets? Mine did.

OP, if you decide on buying any bimmer, have it undergo a full pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. If you're in the US try www.bimrs.org. Also, find out which chapter of the BMWCCA is your local chapter. Contact the officers to see what shops they recommend.
OP here

Thanks. It is a bucket list for me for sure. I may decide to go with Carmax and buy their warranty and call it an expensive dream. Still may be same amount as folks spend on cigarettes and going to Disney.

I purchased an extended warranty on my 335d for 7/75k miles. After the factory warranty expired I had what was essentially the entire SCR system replaced and it was in the shop for this same issue 3-4 times over a 12 month period.

Do you remember when all the HPFPs were failing on the N54 and the chronic wastegate issues? Did you still have factory solenoid injectors? Did your extended warranty cover gaskets? Mine did.
Edi: Piezo Injectors. $$$$

I would consider the naturally aspirated models with the N52 3.0L i-6 found in 2006-2011 325/328/330 models, or for newer than that, the turbo i-6 N55 (2011-2014 335i) and current B58 turbo i-6 found in 2015+ 340i models. The 4 cylinder turbo engines had timing chain issues prior to 2015 when they were revised.

I had a 2011 328 coupe (e92, N52, manual, sport suspension) and really miss it. Last of a breed. Hydro power steering, NA six that was happy and smooth at any RPM. If you like to work on your cars here and there, BMWs in general thrive on maintenance. No nav, no AWD, no turbos...minimal complexity for the era. Speeding ticket fast but not bail money fast.

Oil changes were different, but not difficult. You crack the filter cap up top and let the filter element drain into the sump. Once drained swap the element, drain the sump, and then dump in five quarts, or whatever it was. You drive it to work the next day. Once you're at temperature you check the level through the cluster. If it's low, you add. The sump capacity has plenty of margin, and you can't read until it's hot. You're generally forced to not overthink the issue. If it was really that low you'd probably get a warning of some type.

IS350 will be prone to front cover oil leaks. N52 will be prone to oil filter housing oil leaks, valve cover oil leaks, and oil pan leaks. So, not dissimilar in that aspect. I'd rather address N52 oil leaks again than think about fixing them on our currently leaky 2GR.

I had a 2011 328 coupe (e92, N52, manual, sport suspension) and really miss it. Last of a breed. Hydro power steering, NA six that was happy and smooth at any RPM. If you like to work on your cars here and there, BMWs in general thrive on maintenance. No nav, no AWD, no turbos...minimal complexity for the era. Speeding ticket fast but not bail money fast.

Oil changes were different, but not difficult. You crack the filter cap up top and let the filter element drain into the sump. Once drained swap the element, drain the sump, and then dump in five quarts, or whatever it was. You drive it to work the next day. Once you're at temperature you check the level through the cluster. If it's low, you add. The sump capacity has plenty of margin, and you can't read until it's hot. You're generally forced to not overthink the issue. If it was really that low you'd probably get a warning of some type.

IS350 will be prone to front cover oil leaks. N52 will be prone to oil filter housing oil leaks, valve cover oil leaks, and oil pan leaks. So, not dissimilar in that aspect. I'd rather address N52 oil leaks again than think about fixing them on our currently leaky 2GR.
You can go bail money fast in those BMWs just fine. My friend got his impounded after going 80 (in a 35 zone)
The e90s handle really well while still having comfortable suspension

You can go bail money fast in those BMWs just fine. My friend got his impounded after going 80 (in a 35 zone)
The e90s handle really well while still having comfortable suspension
Agreed. It handled well enough that even with NA motor power, you could find yourself moving along.

I had a nice side income finding, cleaning, testing, and selling the three stage DISA intake manifolds as an upgrade that took the 328 to the 330 European tuning. The ECM reflash was free, based on some clever work done by folks on the e90 forums. (The N52 3-liter was sold at three different power levels in the US, with no differences aside from the intake and the tune file.)

I put Bilstein B8s on mine and tires that were one step taller, ditched the staggered wheel setup. The ride was a little stiff but the seats were amazing, and made it work.

If you get an e9x try to find one with the sport seats. Here is my smooth dash e90. Oyster / aluminum has definitely become one of my fav combos.
IMG_3034.jpeg

Paco
My 140,000 miles on BMW, dropping kids to school, ski 1-2 times a week, doing track in the summer, and still being more reliable than Toyota Sienna I owned, would disagree with that. BUT, i will have to find some buddy to give me expert opinion, just in case.

Agreed. It handled well enough that even with NA motor power, you could find yourself moving along.

I had a nice side income finding, cleaning, testing, and selling the three stage DISA intake manifolds as an upgrade that took the 328 to the 330 European tuning. The ECM reflash was free, based on some clever work done by folks on the e90 forums. (The N52 3-liter was sold at three different power levels in the US, with no differences aside from the intake and the tune file.)

I put Bilstein B8s on mine and tires that were one step taller, ditched the staggered wheel setup. The ride was a little stiff but the seats were amazing, and made it work.
You didn’t go M3 whishbones and arms?
I run B6 and rear M3 wishbones, polyurethane subframe bushings and M3 diff bushings.
Agree on DISA. I did same, plus euro ai filter assembly. Added oil cooler from 335 bcs. Altitude track conditions.

You didn’t go M3 whishbones and arms?
I run B6 and rear M3 wishbones, polyurethane subframe bushings and M3 diff bushings.
Agree on DISA. I did same, plus euro ai filter assembly. Added oil cooler from 335 bcs. Altitude track conditions.
I was at stock height so stock geometry was fine. I didn't do track things with it. If my lower arm bushings had been in bad shape I might have considered it. I had 18" style 189 rims, so I got a second set of fronts and ran 245 on 8" wide rims all around with some thin spacers in back. It was a pretty happy setup.

I did an oil cooler from a N52 (X3, X5, or 5 series) that was coolant to oil, but being a manual, there was some coolant line I also had to add to make it all work. I think the 128 and 328 were the only cars where the n52 didn't get a cooler.

Back