Bimmer owners - Any decent used model?

Is there any decent used Bimmer models out there or should I just go find a used Lexus IS 350?

Is it that painful to even change oil since there is no dipstick?

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get a Bimmer key so the wait staffs in Old Town know what time it is when I flopped it on the table.

Last edited:
Apples to oranges. Totally different era of powertrain complexity.
Latest reports have them exceeding MB, VW and Volvo.
Considering their latest long-term reviews on the B48 and B58 engine's, I'd have to agree.
1708368309928.jpg

I can only say from the models I see in my shop and what customers say - the 4, 5, and 6 series seem to be a good spot for BMW. The 3 series I see issues with but then again my sample size is small and probably insignificant. I do have a sweet 2014 M6 Grand Coupe in here now that is amazingly fast and smooth. We have done all the service on it since around 40k miles and customer has 69k now and has been troublefree .

The Lexus will absolutely be more reliable, I tested a few IS350s before buying my Bimmer, and I just didn't like them. They seemed really cramped (even for someone only 5'10), and the steering was a bit light and twitchy. The driving experience was worth the maintenance trade off to me, and even after 7 years of ownership and close to 70k miles I don't regret my decision.

Oil changes on the BMW are super easy, I can change the oil on it faster than I can my Jeep Wrangler.

Mine is a 2009 328i E90 generation. Reliability really depends on the specific car you are looking at. I would avoid the V8 models, and the early turbo I-6 and turbo 4 cylinder models.

I would consider the naturally aspirated models with the N52 3.0L i-6 found in 2006-2011 325/328/330 models, or for newer than that, the turbo i-6 N55 (2011-2014 335i) and current B58 turbo i-6 found in 2015+ 340i models. The 4 cylinder turbo engines had timing chain issues prior to 2015 when they were revised.

They can be reliable with proper maintenance. Change the oil on time, and have it looked over by a shop yearly if you can't do your own maintenance. I commuted over 100 miles/day in my car for 4 years, and it has been on several 2000+ mile road trips.

I mean, it's barely 2024. The 50-100K mileage range is when BMW's tend to give you the most amount of hurt.
2009 328i here with 155k miles and counting - no hurt experienced yet.

Non-scheduled maintenance - DMTL pump and windshield washer pump - replaced both around 55k miles. I had two abs sensors go out, so I replaced all four around 100k miles. Low cost and easy DIY on all them. Since 100k miles, I had to replace the valve cover gasket at 120k or so, and the oil pan gasket needs it now.

It's not 2003 Camry in terms of nothing going wrong, but the list is pretty short.

If it were a 335i, I suspect things might be different.

I had bad luck in a 1985 318i. It's a money pit that didn't even bothered selling it. I donated it to a local charity car donation

BMW is a lifestyle not an automobile. Sell your Snap-on tools and stock your toolbox with Hazet and Stahlwille wrenches, sockets, and a slew of specialty "project specific" instruments.

And remember to kiss French, dress Italian, and drive German! Oh, and learn how to pronounce nockenwellensteuerung.

Latest reports have them exceeding MB, VW and Volvo.
Considering their latest long-term reviews on the B48 and B58 engine's, I'd have to agree.
View attachment 204435

A mini is more reliable than Honda and Acura? Why didn’t they put it above Lexus too or would that be too obvious that someone’s kid or wife or self got a extended loaner.

Back