Bimmer owners - Any decent used model?

I was at stock height so stock geometry was fine. I didn't do track things with it. If my lower arm bushings had been in bad shape I might have considered it. I had 18" style 189 rims, so I got a second set of fronts and ran 245 on 8" wide rims all around with some thin spacers in back. It was a pretty happy setup.

I did an oil cooler from a N52 (X3, X5, or 5 series) that was coolant to oil, but being a manual, there was some coolant line I also had to add to make it all work. I think the 128 and 328 were the only cars where the n52 didn't get a cooler.
So, there is a T joint that goes below the exhaust manifold. But I went radiator type cooler from 335:

I've been dailying a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i (M54 engine) for about 14 years now (!!!). It's got 171,000 miles on the dash. Got it when it had about 50,000.

I've had to fix these things from memory:
-valve cover gasket 2X
-expansion tank 4X
-water pump 2X
-radiator 3X
-oil pan gasket (hardest job by far)
-alternator 2X (bought a cheap alternator the first time lol)
-A/C compressor
-Oil filter housing gasket
-DISA valve
-Intake boot
-a few coil packs

... and that's all what I can remember engine wise. Obviously I didn't include spark plugs, filters, etc. I put off the oil pan gasket for YEARS since it was a slow leak. But these past few years it had been speeding up and I couldn't take it anymore. I was dreading it because the subframe has to come down to get to it. Did it with the help of my dad and it was a big PITA job but definitely worth it now to have zero oil leaks lol.

I've fixed all of this myself, which was actually mostly a joy to work on because although it is German, the location of some things are super easy. As you can see, the achilles heel of BMW is usually the cooling. But, you can save yourself in time by periodically looking at your engine, and checking for leaks, smells, or anything out of the ordinary. Many of these things I've fixed were caught early because of me looking at my engine from time to time.

In the end, I absolutely love this **** car. RWD, 6 speed, NA inline 6 = heaven to me. Enough power to have fun and not enough to get into trouble. Love it!

I've been reluctant to comment in this thread.

Whenever someone ask me "i'm looking to buy a used car, should i buy this/that BMW"?, i always judge the person 100% of the time before i respond, not the BMW. 9 times out of 10, i tell them no.

BMWs can be surprisingly easy to maintain and the maintenance parts can be surprisingly inexpensive but the person needs to be initiated weather they DIY or take it to a mechanic. I do not mean an enthusiast.

No, you do not take the door handles out by taking out, disconnecting all the electricals and then the door card off and disassembling the whole thing, you dummy(and now you broke several parts). You take off that rubber plug at the end and just use something long, like a screw driver, push that lever and the handle just pops out, easy as can be.

One can give a thousand examples like this.

Your mechanic can be a dummy too. No, that secondary fan does not come out from underneath the hood in the front, it comes out from the bottom in the front, not under the hood. Of course, even if you tell him that, he'll break something from the front because your supposed to follow an extremely simple and easy process. He'll then tell you that BMWs are junk when in fact he is the one who is junk.

No you dummy, those plastic clips are not junk, your supposed to replace them, which is why they are so inexpensive, they don't use screws everywhere.

Again, a thousand examples. Since i don't know the OP, i can't tell him he should buy a BMW.

I have found many things on BMWs easier to work on than Toyota.

Initiated. 100% initiated, then suddenly, OMG BMWs are so awesome, look what i did on it today.

I will also say that, compared to ANY other brand, i have never seen the level of support from forums that i've seen from BMW. They are NUMERO UNO in that regard. Again, initiated.

I've been reluctant to comment in this thread.

Whenever someone ask me "i'm looking to buy a used car, should i buy this/that BMW"?, i always judge the person 100% of the time before i respond, not the BMW. 9 times out of 10, i tell them no.

BMWs can be surprisingly easy to maintain and the maintenance parts can be surprisingly inexpensive but the person needs to be initiated weather they DIY or take it to a mechanic. I do not mean an enthusiast.

No, you do not take the door handles out by taking out, disconnecting all the electricals and then the door card off and disassembling the whole thing, you dummy(and now you broke several parts). You take off that rubber plug at the end and just use something long, like a screw driver, push that lever and the handle just pops out, easy as can be.

One can give a thousand examples like this.

Your mechanic can be a dummy too. No, that secondary fan does not come out from underneath the hood in the front, it comes out from the bottom in the front, not under the hood. Of course, even if you tell him that, he'll break something from the front because your supposed to follow an extremely simple and easy process. He'll then tell you that BMWs are junk when in fact he is the one who is junk.

No you dummy, those plastic clips are not junk, your supposed to replace them, which is why they are so inexpensive, they don't use screws everywhere.

Again, a thousand examples. Since i don't know the OP, i can't tell him he should buy a BMW.

I have found many things on BMWs easier to work on than Toyota.

Initiated. 100% initiated, then suddenly, OMG BMWs are so awesome, look what i did on it today.

I will also say that, compared to ANY other brand, i have never seen the level of support from forums that i've seen from BMW. They are NUMERO UNO in that regard. Again, initiated.

IMO another thing is commitment to the ownership experience. I think most owners aren't. The little issues pile up and then there's something major which requires you to get under the car and they give up or you haphazardly perform a "good enough" repair and it's downhill from there

Yesterday I bought a 2011 E90 N52 (328I Xdrive V6) in immaculate condition with 35k miles, an excellent service record & newish tires.

I was shopping for a Lexus, but it would have been $10k more expensive for a similar vehicle. The BMW also drives so much better. And I get that maintenance will be higher cost, but probably not enough to make up for the price difference.

I drive only 4-6k miles a year, so we should get many years out of her.

Yesterday I bought a 2011 E90 N52 (328I Xdrive V6) in immaculate condition with 35k miles, an excellent service record & newish tires.

I was shopping for a Lexus, but it would have been $10k more expensive for a similar vehicle. The BMW also drives so much better. And I get that maintenance will be higher cost, but probably not enough to make up for the price difference.

The N52 is a reliable I6. Congrats!

Congrats. As the owner of a 16 328i F30 I think you will be well pleased. Mine is a six-speed manual rear wheel drive and I run snow tires November through April. Handles great and nice and peppy, although a bit of a harsh ride with the OEM replacement tires that it came with. Not hard to service and parts widely available at reasonable price if you shop. I generally stay away from the dealership as a bit pricey. All good so far with 71,000 miles on the clock and still on original clutch.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! It is Inline 6!

Considering age, I would replace the preventively coolant reservoir and Mickey Mouse flange (Google it, replace with an aluminum aftermarket one).
Check the leak on the Oil Filter Housing gasket. Absolutely do not allow the leak there to progress, as it will leak onto the belt. The belt snaps, and in 99% of cases, will be sucked through the crankshaft seal since the crank pulley is oversized, and the belt does not have anywhere else to go once it snaps. Actually, I would change the belt preventively too due to age.

I mean, it's barely 2024. The 50-100K mileage range is when BMW's tend to give you the most amount of hurt.
For me it was over 150K, but that was back in the E30, E34 days. I had one I put a steering rack and a transmission into. That was when I swore them off. But they seem to be doing better these days, several of my wife's cousins down in Brazil have them and they have been solid. They're X1/X3 models, same stuff you can get in the US.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! It is Inline 6!

Considering age, I would replace the preventively coolant reservoir and Mickey Mouse flange (Google it, replace with an aluminum aftermarket one).
Check the leak on the Oil Filter Housing gasket. Absolutely do not allow the leak there to progress, as it will leak onto the belt. The belt snaps, and in 99% of cases, will be sucked through the crankshaft seal since the crank pulley is oversized, and the belt does not have anywhere else to go once it snaps. Actually, I would change the belt preventively too due to age.
Thanks for the info. The oil filter housing was replaced by the dealership 10k miles ago according to carfax. They also replaced a coolant hose in the area at the same time.

Is there any decent used Bimmer models out there or should I just go find a used Lexus IS 350?

Is it that painful to even change oil since there is no dipstick?

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get a Bimmer key so the wait staffs in Old Town know what time it is when I flopped it on the table.

Is there any decent used Bimmer models out there or should I just go find a used Lexus IS 350?

Is it that painful to even change oil since there is no dipstick?

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get a Bimmer key so the wait staffs in Old Town know what time it is when I flopped it on the table.
Not since 2010 when all BMW is turned to plastic

If I’m not mistaken the N52 has an eccentric shaft issue as my wife’s cousin has a ‘11 wagon and he was glad it was covered. Just check for any recalls like PCV Vanos etc

My car hasn’t got valvetronic being a N54 and the Vanos is different

I had an E39 for 20 years. It was pretty reliable. Looked terrific. Magnificent to drive. Didn't cost a lot to maintain.

But I wouldn't buy a recent BMW. I think BMW has lost their way. I've lost confidence in their long term reliability. Plastic is light but it don't last.

Hopefully it’s reliable. I’ve put like 5k miles on and I’m at least 1k in parts alone…

Buy a BMW they said…
It will be reliable they said…
BMWs, like any used car always have the "getting up to speed cost" where you will need to replace everything that was neglected by the previous owner, especially since these cars are older. Mine just passed 100k miles yesterday. I've owned it since it had 32k miles. Most of the repairs I had to do were earlier on during my ownership because it sat around a lot being lower mileage, and the previous owner only replaced things when they broke.

The best thing you can do owning a BMW is open the hood once a week or so and just look around for anything leaking. Spotting problems before they leave you on the side of the road is 99% of it. My car has gone on several 2000+ mile road trips. The last one involved a drive through the Smoky mountains and hammering the car on Tail of the Dragon. My previous job had me commuting 100+ miles daily in it around New England. It has yet to leave me stranded.

BMWs, like any used car always have the "getting up to speed cost" where you will need to replace everything that was neglected by the previous owner, especially since these cars are older. Mine just passed 100k miles yesterday. I've owned it since it had 32k miles. Most of the repairs I had to do were earlier on during my ownership because it sat around a lot being lower mileage, and the previous owner only replaced things when they broke.

The best thing you can do owning a BMW is open the hood once a week or so and just look around for anything leaking. Spotting problems before they leave you on the side of the road is 99% of it. My car has gone on several 2000+ mile road trips. The last one involved a drive through the Smoky mountains and hammering the car on Tail of the Dragon. My previous job had me commuting 100+ miles daily in it around New England. It has yet to leave me stranded.
Yeah I agree, but it feels that every time that I fix something, something else breaks. I think I will do rear shocks, spark plugs, cabin air filter, brake flush, front brake lines, and oil change this year. The rear shocks are starting to see better days, but they will be changed towards the end of summer, when money is less of an issue

Yeah I agree, but it feels that every time that I fix something, something else breaks. I think I will do rear shocks, spark plugs, cabin air filter, brake flush, front brake lines, and oil change this year. The rear shocks are starting to see better days, but they will be changed towards the end of summer, when money is less of an issue
Yeah it's a labor of love to keep on top of the older cars, but the driving experience compared to the new ones is worth it. Luckily there is a lot you can do on these cars yourself. Rear shocks are pretty easy, I replaced mine on my car without even jacking it up. Just make sure you get the kit that comes with all the bushings and bolts, since those are probably worn out by now and it is much easier to just replace everything at once.

Back