Autozone Employees

I too try my best not to be condescending-- it's just not even worth the effort. I just stand there and let them fumble. If they seem open to guidance I make gentle suggestions, but many overcompensate with a know-it-all attitude. Ok, that's fine -- I just try to get my parts as quickly as possible with minimal drama and get out the door.

I also agree ordering online for in-store pickup can be a great way to avoid the million questions.

And I'm in my AutoZone so rarely I forget they now have SCO -- if you just need stuff off the floor. I want to utilize this or I'm afraid corporate will take it away.

As @bdcardinal shows, the REALLY good people won't last. They move up or move on. Even the really GOOD managers who understand customer service and have common sense are short lived, they get promoted or snapped up.

The managers who are little tyrants, adhere to corporate policy like the letter of the law and enjoy being a big fish in a VERY small pond always stick around the longest -- sigh. But seriously, no one else wants them so managing a store (poorly) is the highest they'll ever go.

As @bdcardinal shows, the REALLY good people won't last. They move up or move on. Even the really GOOD managers who understand customer service and have common sense are short lived, they get promoted or snapped up.

Also most of the people here only deal with the retail parts people. At most dealers, mine included, we put the least experienced person on the retail counter since the least profit comes from there. You put your most experienced parts people at the technician (back) counter or doing wholesale if you do wholesale. People don't realize that not every dealer does or has to do wholesale. Especially since we get paid cost +90.89% on warranty parts, going out and pursuing wholesale, mostly collision sales, doesn't make sense since the profit margins are so small.

For reference we did around $365K in sales in May. 218K were on repair orders, 123K was wholesale and 24K was retail counter sales.

Never have issues but then again I'm not a jerk who brags about showing up people at the auto parts store.
I wasn't bragging about it . Just stating how sad it is that a customer has to show an emplyee that should know ...... how to find a part on a computer . Not only did the two employees at the first AZ I stopped at ...... not know . So did the employee at the AZ I had to go to that had the part in stock .

I had a kid at my small town NAPA blow his mind when he discovered a rotor could be an ignition product. He was hinting I was mistaken and needed a brake component.

I just stayed quiet -- at least he's learning I guess.

My AutoZone is awesome. They know me in there. I get a 10 percent Military discount and then depending on who is working, the 10 percent employee one too. The manager is retired Navy. Some of them don't know a lot, but are helpful and will let me find what I need on the computer. I mean they are probably dealing with ton of different makes and models daily. Plus some people who treat them not so nice or treat them like they are stupid because they couldn't find a part for your pile, but you get it.

I suspect a lot of folks here would know much about some of my car eithers, just like I don't care or know alot about your Toyota or Honda. See what I mean?

I suspect they don't make much and their training program is probably not real great.

It's not much different today than decades ago when the rookie behind the counter didn't understand the small number next to the part number meant look for the number on the bottom of the page listing exceptions in the paper catalog.
If I need an over the counter purchase its NAPA for me. Experience level is way higher.

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .
Sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasing experience.

I have had really good luck with our local Autozone and O'Reily's. Both have knowledgeable people and have had parts in inventory.

The secret to part stores is knowing exactly what you're purchasing before going in. What works best is ordering your exact part numbers ahead of time for store pick up.

If you expect the minimum wage worker to know a million different parts off the top of their head, you're going to have a bad time. It also doesn't help that many weekend mechanics are miserable people.

If you expect the minimum wage worker to know a million different parts off the top of their head, you're going to have a bad time. It also doesn't help that many weekend mechanics are miserable people.
It doesnt sound like you ever been to a parts store before . They first ask what part you need ......... then the make and model of the vehicle . One to several choices may come up with parts numbers . Customer picks one and employee looks for the part .

The secret to part stores is knowing exactly what you're purchasing before going in. What works best is ordering your exact part numbers ahead of time for store pick up.
It doesnt sound like you ever been to a parts store before . They first ask what part you need ......... then the make and model of the vehicle . One to several choices may come up with parts numbers . Customer picks one and employee looks for the part .
As already stated, knowing your exact part ahead of time will save you trouble.

Reading comprehension 101.

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .
I would imagine they pay very little and tend to attract people that just need a job but have no clue about working as an auto parts salesperson. In the old days, there only competition was salvage yards, now it is the internet which has driven down parts prices to the point where a brick and mortar location is not all that profitable.

You forgot "0 training" Make sure you direct your anger at counter help and call center staff, because clearly they play pivot roles in choosing the software and computer systems put in front of them to accomplish their jobs. :whistle:
This is a feature, not a bug. Some software company will approach Autozone corporate and say, we'll give you this Fisher-Price computer system that we've proven morons can use. If you install it you can hire dumber people and save some money.

And it's not just AZ. The alignment rack companies have cartoons now showing how far to spin the tie rods, and in what direction. Handy, sure, I get turned around and upside-down under there. But it lets tire shops give "free alignments" with a set of four tires, with predictable results.

What sucks, is as a country, we're pushing out reasonably bright craftsmen in this race to the bottom. Being above average puts a target on your forehead.

The Autozone next to my house is by far the worst place I've ever been to. You could stand there for hours and no one will acknowledge you. The employees have no knowledge or interest in their job or anything automotive, they are just bodies behind the counter. I have to go to O'Reillys to get any kind of customer service.

this cracked me up

Not as annoying as being in line and ready to check out only to have the counter stooge answer the phone and to talk to someone about an alternator for a '03 Hyundai while totally ignoring the real person in front of him.

Not as annoying as being in line and ready to check out only to have the counter stooge answer the phone and to talk to someone about an alternator for a '03 Hyundai while totally ignoring the real person in front of him.
So in some of those stores, if it is the commercial line that rings, that is their corporate policy. They get shopped by secret shoppers on the phone and if they put it on hold they get written up.

Now at my work, especially now that I have been PM until they find someone that wants it, calls go on hold while we are helping someone at the counter. Techs tack precedence over retail customers since our service department is our biggest customer by far.

This is a feature, not a bug. Some software company will approach Autozone corporate and say, we'll give you this Fisher-Price computer system that we've proven morons can use. If you install it you can hire dumber people and save some money.

And it's not just AZ. The alignment rack companies have cartoons now showing how far to spin the tie rods, and in what direction. Handy, sure, I get turned around and upside-down under there. But it lets tire shops give "free alignments" with a set of four tires, with predictable results.

What sucks, is as a country, we're pushing out reasonably bright craftsmen in this race to the bottom. Being above average puts a target on your forehead.
This 100%. There is a reason the counter jockeys at AZ and other similar level stores are minimum wage or close to it. They pay them that because they expect minimum wage performance. There isn't anything more than that needed, since customers will still come in and purchase their products. If there was a way they could sell you products without having a person there, you can bet they would do it to save a few bucks, just look at the fast food kiosks. The issue is that while customers usually know what they want to eat, they often have no clue what car part they need.

That's an interesting one too. I've actually overheard customers say something like "it's a small block Chevy, how many different starters can there be ?". 🤷‍♂️ For all I know, maybe there is one or multiple that will work.... Anyone that does major swaps, well, they should be on their own. I feel even worse for someone that buys a vehicle that's had major swaps done to it and they're not completely familiar with all those details.
Most parts people can't stand when someone walks in and says "I have a X Gen Mustang/F-150 and I need a doohickie" then get mad when I ask for a VIN or at least the year. Mostly comes from vehicle specific car forums making up names for cars and then thinking it is Gospel.

Most parts people can't stand when someone walks in and says....
I know of what you mean, but I don't know details either. My son has had (2) Honda Accords and I couldn't tell you what "gen" either was. Our daughter has a Civic and I think it's a 9th-gen but to me it's a '12. I only vaguely know the generation from a forum. Similar thing happens with engines, i.e. J35, K24, R18, blah, blah, blah....

In your case, I guess I'd politely remind them that Ford has dozens and dozens of models and you long ago gave up trying to memorize too much!

I know of what you mean, but I don't know details either. My son has had (2) Honda Accords and I couldn't tell you what "gen" either was. Our daughter has a Civic and I think it's a 9th-gen but to me it's a '12. I only vaguely know the generation from a forum. Similar thing happens with engines, i.e. J35, K24, R18, blah, blah, blah....

In your case, I guess I'd politely remind them that Ford has dozens and dozens of models and you long ago gave up trying to memorize too much!
All I ask for is a VIN, well last 8 but it baffles the entire parts industry how "last 8" turns into anything but.

Also looking at my sig, I am kind of a Mustang nut. But I go out of my way to try and not let anyone know. Why? Because other Mustang owners come in and want to talk Mustangs for hours. Or they want to know what go-fast parts they need to make their car faster and get mad when I refer them to the SCCA or NASA to learn how to drive at a HPDE. I love doing aftermarket parts on my own vehicles, I literally just put a big Mishimoto intercooler and piping on my F-350, but I hate selling that stuff at work.

Back