Autozone Employees

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .

Did that once with a dumb Hispanic teen who didn't speak much Spanish but somehow couldn't freaking spell rotors correctly so i had to spell it to him. Once he did he brought the wrong ones so I then pulled the sku on my phone for the exact parts because i always come prepared and he didn't know what to do. Ended up just leaving and going to another AutoZone, one where i know the manager actually hires decently competent people but i was in that area at that time. Remembered why i stopped going there right after.

Maybe instead, we should give these people that work thankless jobs at Autozone, McDonalds, etc., credit for at least working and doing something positive. Imagine working in a place with mediocre managers, low pay, and ungrateful customers. As I approach old age, I always look for ways to gently mentor younger people to maybe create a growing experience for them. In turn, I continue to attempt to learn from them also. Never a day goes by that I don't learn something new, often from younger people that haven't turned into curmudgeons yet.

Disclosure: I have my days too, when I am cranky, in a hurry, and mad at the clouds . :)

My best recent experience in an AutoZone:
PXL_20230621_190233960.jpg

Entry level retail doesn't inspire the best out of people, unfortunately 😞

I have a young man working our retail counter, he is 19 and really eager to learn. I will get some longer term customers get upset that he asks more questions than me and takes longer. I have to remind them that I too was new once, been doing this 16 years, and to give him a chance. I don't mind helping at all, sometimes I have something I can't just drop to do but they will never learn unless they are given a chance.

An example was a guy almost yelling at him for not being an expert on a 7.3 diesel. He was literally not alive when the 7.3 diesel was new but he is trying to learn about them as best he can.

Maybe instead, we should give these people that work thankless jobs at Autozone, McDonalds, etc., credit for at least working and doing something positive. Imagine working in a place with mediocre managers, low pay, and ungrateful customers. As I approach old age, I always look for ways to gently mentor younger people to maybe create a growing experience for them. In turn, I continue to attempt to learn from them also. Never a day goes by that I don't learn something new, often from younger people that haven't turned into curmudgeons yet.

Disclosure: I have my days too, when I am cranky, in a hurry, and mad at the clouds too. :)
You forgot "0 training" Make sure you direct your anger at counter help and call center staff, because clearly they play pivot roles in choosing the software and computer systems put in front of them to accomplish their jobs. :whistle:

Sometimes you get one that knows what they are doing other times not. Most of the guys at my local Auto Zone and other stores are former techs that have either retired or just got tired of wrenching. I mean if I worked there i could sell you and tell you about all the parts in the world but I struggle with computers lol.

You forgot "0 training" Make sure you direct your anger at counter help and call center staff, because clearly they play pivot roles in choosing the software and computer systems put in front of them to accomplish their jobs. :whistle:
None of the Ford or Mazda parts training includes actually looking up parts. Actually I take that back, one of the Mazda classes said that the best way to look up a part in the catalog was to enter the part number....

There is so much you have to know doing dealer parts that aren't in the catalog. Things that you just have to know. I have files on my work computer with notes for all sorts of things I and other parts people have stumbled upon over the years.

Also the Autozones of the world don't pay that great unless you are on the commercial or management side. Maybe minimum wage with a small commission. Where on the dealer side I am at 6 figures with my hourly and commission. When I do go to the Zone or OReillys for something I don't act condescending to them at all. I don't know their system as I never worked in a parts house, but just treat them like people. I do get annoyed at their commercial reps, mostly because they show up when I am super busy and want to talk about me stocking a bunch of their stuff.

Also the Autozones of the world don't pay that great unless you are on the commercial or management side. Maybe minimum wage with a small commission. Where on the dealer side I am at 6 figures with my hourly and commission. When I do go to the Zone or OReillys for something I don't act condescending to them at all. I don't know their system as I never worked in a parts house, but just treat them like people. I do get annoyed at their commercial reps, mostly because they show up when I am super busy and want to talk about me stocking a bunch of their stuff.
Yeah, if you look at companies with a high turn over rate , there's normally a reason like pay and the job sux, Autozone seem to fit that bill.

Firestone another

Yeah, if you look at companies with a high turn over rate , there's normally a reason like pay and the job sux, Autozone seem to fit that bill.

Firestone another
Also people like me headhunt there. I had a former female counterperson and one currently that we stole from O'Reillys. Even if our pay isn't a massive upgrade, we are closed Sundays and 8-5 during the week so there's that. Basically if we call one of those stores and consistently there is one person that is super helpful, I will usually go in to try and talk to them. Then tell them to apply.

Back