Ford transmission compensation.

Talking to a friend that had to have his Ford Fusion transmission repaired to the tune of $3900 a couple years back. Seems that Ford has reimbursed him for this expense recently due to a class action settlement. Ford initially offered him $3500 for the purchase of his car or trade-in. He held out and got the money and kept his car. The same guy spent a pile of money not too long ago on his ecoboost timing chain refurb. I asked what new cars were in his future and he says another Ford. Won't buy anything else, his daddy, grandaddy and now him are loyal. SMH

huh.... I wonder what all transmissions that covered...
I only ask b/c last year My uncle had to replace the 8f35 in his 78k mi Lincoln.... he did get Lincoln to pay for half of it, but he was still out $4k..

huh.... I wonder what all transmissions that covered...
I only ask b/c last year My uncle had to replace the 8f35 in his 78k mi Lincoln.... he did get Lincoln to pay for half of it, but he was still out $4k..
I'm not sure. Focus,Escape,Fusion...DCT's? I think there is another lawsuit featuring their 10 speed auto also.
Seems that Ford has a plethora of transmissions subject to lawsuits, recall's etc. Thousands of Google hits.

I made a decent living at one time rebuilding Ford transmissions. I don't foresee owning a Ford in the future.
What kinds of things did you see in the ford units compared to other makes, and which units did you respect the most?

I'm guessing that Nissan / JATCO CVT's are actually far far worse.
I have a bit of experience with them. The parts that cause the most trouble are the crappy aluminum valves and valve bodies.
The flow control valve wears bad, leaks pressure then the crap happens. I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of material and heat treat for the variator cones / pulleys, and even the push belt, I expected worse, and that was a 130,000 mile transmission, I reused those parts. I did see areas that needed improvement, that caused assembly problems other wise the basic transmission was okay.

Talking to a friend that had to have his Ford Fusion transmission repaired to the tune of $3900 a couple years back. Seems that Ford has reimbursed him for this expense recently due to a class action settlement. Ford initially offered him $3500 for the purchase of his car or trade-in. He held out and got the money and kept his car. The same guy spent a pile of money not too long ago on his ecoboost timing chain refurb. I asked what new cars were in his future and he says another Ford. Won't buy anything else, his daddy, grandaddy and now him are loyal. SMH
Exact reason I just got rid of my 2021 Ranger. The transmission was beginning to have issues at 33,000 miles. Furthermore, Ford was less than willing to fix it. Between our vehicles at work, my experience, and friends who own Explorers and F150’s… I’m done with Ford for good. Sad because it was a nice ride, but the transmission sung a tune of $9,200 for the 10R80 replacement. Just got a ‘24 4Runner and plan to let this carry us through our children’s growing up phase. In 12-15 years I’ll look at something else 🤷🏻‍♂️

Funny how my car from 2001 has a jatco automatic (not a cvt) which is known for torque converter shudder. Everyone with one says they're problematic unless you use the right fluid. Mine is starting to shudder sometimes at almost 200,000 miles with only Mitsubishi sp3.

The reason for the shudder is at about 45mph the tcm will partially engage the torque converter clutch to increase fuel economy, but not fully engage it because they don't want to bog the engine down or something. This wears out the clutches, and the clutches have a special friction material that doesn't work with the generic dex 3 fluid that the older monteros could use.

Funny how it used to be a picky transmission that could last reasonably long was problematic, and now you only get 30,000 miles out of some of them fancy new transmissions.

Have a 4R100, FNR5 and a CD4E. No issues with any of them at 178k, 90k and 150k respectively but I do maintain them well.

It is the same transmission if it is the 10 speed
A friend of mine just took his gmc 1500 in today due to shifting/grinding sensations at high speeds. It’s the 10 speed. 118k miles of mostly highway driving. He’s not done any maintenance besides oil and tires. told him the TC was shredded with plenty of debris in the pan, and theyve been seeing a few of these. They quoted a TC replacement at 5k with no guarantee of it fixing it or 10k for a whole new transmission, with several weeks wait to get the parts either way. He took the truck to another dealer and traded it same day.

granted, he did no maintenance on it, at all. But otoh, it’s been mostly highway driving. A ground up TC seems a little soon.

so Chevy is seeing perhaps TC grinding in their version and ford is seeing VB and rotating assembly bushing wear in theirs. Both use a ULV fluid. Imma go out on a limb here and suggest that these units may need more frequent maintenance as the ATF may be marginal for the design, or the design may be marginal for the fluid used. I’ve adopted using a partial dose of LV in mine along with the ULV. Experimenting now.

Back