Autozone Employees

Sometimes the computer systems are very antiquated they use. Especially older established business like Autozone. Makes it challenging to train people not used to 2000 era computer applications and websites.
You should have seen O’Reilly a few years ago. We had something called Infinity. That thing was sooooo bad. Then we had an AS400 based “legacy” system that we used for some other functionality.

Then they replaced Infinity with O’Reilly Parts System. And slowly phased out the legacy system.

It’s worlds better. So much better especially now that they’ve got a couple years of monthly or so updates to it. Only two issues I have with it: 1. It’s sloooooow. We’ve updated our servers, thin clients, network, internet… and it’s all nice stuff. But it still takes several seconds to load any search results, returns, purchase history. 2. The search box is dumb. It’s not google. You have to search for exactly what it wants to find a part. And it’s super inconsistent. Type cyl it’ll suggest brake wheel cylinder. But type one more letter cyli and it’ll suggest a completely different list of stuff. So if you type too fast it slows you way down.

So my point is, if you encounter a newer employee at an O’Store, be patient and understanding, if possible. And even on an experienced employee go in order of year, make, model, part you want, then just deal with the questions like engine size/trim level like a grown up. And if we repeat a question it’s not because everyone that works there is an idiot it’s probably because by the time the computer caught up we already forgot some of the details and would rather clarify than sell the wrong part.

Minimum wage store employees didn’t design the system. The training videos are pretty much useless and in fact usually out of date since they update the system constantly. The names of stuff in the system aren’t always the slang names people use for parts. And being a jerk will not result in better service. Just ends up in adding up to more turnover when people get fed up dealing with jerks.

PS: auto parts stores can’t look stuff up by engine. I don’t care if you did an engine swap, it’s your responsibility to know what vehicle had that engine so the parts store people can find you what you need. Or if you’re so smart just bring the part number.

PS: auto parts stores can’t look stuff up by engine. I don’t care if you did an engine swap, it’s your responsibility to know what vehicle had that engine so the parts store people can find you what you need. Or if you’re so smart just bring the part number.
That's an interesting one too. I've actually overheard customers say something like "it's a small block Chevy, how many different starters can there be ?". 🤷‍♂️ For all I know, maybe there is one or multiple that will work.... Anyone that does major swaps, well, they should be on their own. I feel even worse for someone that buys a vehicle that's had major swaps done to it and they're not completely familiar with all those details.

That's an interesting one too. I've actually overheard customers say something like "it's a small block Chevy, how many different starters can there be ?". 🤷‍♂️ For all I know, maybe there is one or multiple that will work.... Anyone that does major swaps, well, they should be on their own. I feel even worse for someone that buys a vehicle that's had major swaps done to it and they're not completely familiar with all those details.

Yep, if you buy something that’s already customized, unless whoever built it gave you a list of vehicles that application fits, you’re going to have a hard time. I wish people would make lists when they build something and be sure to pass it on to the next owner!

Or if you refer to your car by something other than year make model. People will want something for their “12 valve” or “e36” and they almost always act like you’re an idiot if you don’t know exactly what year/model that is.

My experience in a small town has been:
1. The Ford dealer
2. Parts Plus
3. Either O'Reillys or Advance Auto
4. The dumpster behind any repair shop
5. The back of MacDonalds parking lot after closing
6. Auto Zone.
The attitude makes the difference and here AZ is the bottom of the barrel.

This is funny because I just went to Autozone yesterday. I was closest to the one in downtown Worcester so that's where I went and it was ehhhh...interesting. They looked like a bunch of kids hanging out with F-bombs flying and when I said I had an online order to pick up it wasn't until the 3rd guy came that anyone knew how to ring me out. Between the swear words and mumbling I honestly don't know what any of them said.

My wife and I were in Fort Collins CO for a few days earlier this month, and while she was at her conference I checked out an AutoZone near the hotel.

We don't have them here, so I'd never seen one fore and was curious.

I was really impressed; huge store (a grocery store in a previous life), good tool selection, and good well-informed staff. Per the gentleman I talked with, they had an incredible selection of parts on hand.

Doesn't matter what type of parts counter you go to they all hire entry level. It takes a minimum a year to have a idea what your doing. The days of the counter man when you walking in with the part, picks it up looks at the number walks back brings out the part. If its electronic part more than likely has been superseded at least a few times hope you get someone with few years experience 20 minutes to get the part turns into a hour or more then it has to be ordered.

I was really impressed; huge store (a grocery store in a previous life), good tool selection, and good well-informed staff. Per the gentleman I talked with, they had an incredible selection of parts on hand.
In the past, in most metro areas, there would typically be (1) fairly large Autozone. Not counting the local/regional warehouse for them, this store would have extensive stock. If your nearby store didn't have an item in stock, almost always they'd tell you "I can get it here tomorrow or the Airway store has it in stock". This store was even open 24 hours a day before Covid !

In the past, in most metro areas, there would typically be (1) fairly large Autozone. Not counting the local/regional warehouse for them, this store would have extensive stock. If your nearby store didn't have an item in stock, almost always they'd tell you "I can get it here tomorrow or the Airway store has it in stock". This store was even open 24 hours a day before Covid !
This was a large one, and is open until 10 p.m. (which would be amazing here).

Unless I can walk over and help myself, I usually order parts online and pick it up or wait for it to be delivered.

I might try Carquest someday. I didn't know they were part of Advance Auto when I ordered some Honda PS fluid from AA website. The Carquest store is in the next town over and they delivered it to the house in a couple of hours.

The old Kragen Auto Parts typically had very knowledgeable folks working the counter and registers.

I actually have a terrific Autozone that I use almost 100% for all my shop commercial needs. This manager hires gearheads and they actually know their parts - they even drive some cool cars themselves.

I only use the auto parts stores if I need something I can’t find online. Now that you mentioned it, I really should try them first just to support the brick n’ mortar folks.

Perfect example that sometimes the "problem" can be on either side of the counter.

Seriously Hall…

A great post here… I mean that one hundred percent.

When it comes to cars, drugs, physiology, the weather etc etc etc….

There is an amazing amount of VAST knowledge and experience that we ALL don’t have or know about.

Or you can just go to Autozone/NAPA/Advance with a part number from their website and eliminate the searching through all the menus in their dumb system.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the answer here.

I have done this many times. Just double check what they bring you…. Make sure it matches your part number you looked up before going in.

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .
Don't let it go to your head. If you think you can do better, fill out an application.They were probably new employees.

If you accidentally break a “core” alternator on a frigid winter day, AZ is the place to go for an exchange.

Just cover the fracture with a little grease. Good to go.

If you accidentally break a “core” alternator on a frigid winter day, AZ is the place to go for an exchange.

Just cover the fracture with a little grease. Good to go.
In my experience the "core" doesn't matter. When I bought 6 pot Brembos for my Touareg $10 JY cores went back in the box.

Employees words: "a caliper is a caliper."

Back