automatic owners using parking brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set mine before putting it in Park anytime I'm on a hill. On flat ground, I usually don't bother, unless I'm parking short-term with the vehicle running (goes in Neutral with parking brake for better tranny fluid circulation).

I can't remember ever using the parking brake when I parked, and I've never in 52 yrs of driving had a transmission problem due to the pawl failing.
The terrain around here is rather flat but I have parked numerous times in Vancouver, BC San Francisco, CA Chattanooga, TN etc. Heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Roanoke in a few days.. maybe the pawl will fail on this trip (hope not !!)

I use it anytime I'm on an incline. 97 Windstar with nasty parking pawls and if not setting the brake then shifting into park, it's sometimes impossible to shift out of park. Also always shift into D or R before releasing the brake.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I can't remember ever using the parking brake when I parked, and I've never in 52 yrs of driving had a transmission problem due to the pawl failing.
The terrain around here is rather flat but I have parked numerous times in Vancouver, BC San Francisco, CA Chattanooga, TN etc. Heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Roanoke in a few days.. maybe the pawl will fail on this trip (hope not !!)

I'm with you - except I have used mine when parking on hills (like San Fran.) but just in my driveway or on the street I see no reason too. I too have NEVER had a problem with pawl failing. On some vehicle is DOES make it easier to shift out of park if the parking park has been applied.
Back when I drove a stick I would usually use it.

Yes, I got into the habit since 3/4 of the fleet is stick. The Sonata has a hand-activated brake, so it's easy to remember that one.

Yeah, I use mine almost all the time. Can't stand the feel of the vehicle 'lurching' to rest on the tranny. Also, I find it harder to shift into gera in the car is resting on the tranny - much easier with the PB holding it.

mechanicx is right about freezing. one time did a break job . 2 weeks later he calls up and says one break is locked. grab stuff. get there jack it up, put stands under it. pull it a part. i look at it for 5 min before i touched it, cause i thought it would be something i could see. then i remembered we was having freezing weather. i checked the e-break cable, it was missing the cover that keeps stuff out of the cable housing, course the ice was gone by then.

I always use it because I hate rusty park brake cables, and I'd like my 40 year old parking pawl to stay in one piece. Also because here in Ontario, AFAIK, you can be charged criminally if it is not engaged and your car rolls.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, I use mine almost all the time. Can't stand the feel of the vehicle 'lurching' to rest on the tranny. Also, I find it harder to shift into gear if the car is resting on the tranny - much easier with the PB holding it.

^Exactly.

It should always be used period, but especially on inclines. Most owners manuals of automatics I've seen warn of "torque lock", where if there is enough weight on the park pawl the car may be unable to shift out of park and need to be pushed or pulled forward to relieve the load on it. A rare occurrence I'm sure but it can happen. Those incredibly rough shifts out of park are the "almost" versions of this problem.

Originally Posted By: OttawaValley
I always use it because I hate rusty park brake cables, and I'd like my 40 year old parking pawl to stay in one piece. Also because here in Ontario, AFAIK, you can be charged criminally if it is not engaged and your car rolls.
First I have heard of that.

I use the parking brake maybe once a week or so on all of our cars, just to keep it free and working.
Park works just great on any automatic I've ever had, and first or reverse is just fine with a stick, unless you park on a slightly steep hill, in which case the parking brake should be used with either type of gearbox.
I like to check underneath our cars for leaks around the oil filter gasket after a change, and you can bet that I'd never get on my knees in front of a running automatic car without ensuring that the parking brake is applied, and works.

Good point and some parking brakes self adjust through use. So if you never set it, it may have a lot of slack and you'll have set and release many times to get the parking brake to hold. Also on some cars the automatic headlights will come on as soon as you start if the brake is released. I like the lights to come on when I'm about to shift into drive.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
how many people here with autos use their parking brake whenever they park their vehicle? ive always done it out of habit and thought that's what its there for why not use it. my friend on the other hand makes a point to never use his, it feels like you ran over a pothole when he shifts out of park on a hill, the whole thing shakes and makes a crack noise but he thinks nothing of it.

I always use it when the car is not in my garage.

When the car is in my garage, especially one of the classics that sits for long periods, I deliberately DON'T use the P-brake. I feel it contributes to warped drums and can lead to stuck linings when left for long periods applied to one spot on the drums. On a level garage floor there's no strain on the transmission parking pawl anyway.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I like the lights to come on when I'm about to shift into drive.

I like the headlights to come on when I pull the @#!% headlight switch, and not a second before.

Do you release the parking brake first or do you switch to reverse first when backing out an incline driveway? the front of the car is pointed downward. Automatic transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back