Brake lights need a rethink?

A man after my own heart…
Red cactus-1.jpeg

With the blindingly bright LEDs these days, I rather wish for brake lights to go out when the car comes to a stillstand - like when you are waiting in front of a traffic light.

I’ve been a victim of two rear-end smacks. In one case, the driver stated he didn’t realize I was stopped, and in the other case, the driver was stopped but then pulled forward and struck my trailer because my brake lights had turned off. That was enough for me to change things up.

Trailer mod…
IMG_0326.jpeg

Last edited:
Tailgating is the new fun thing to do apparently ( not saying the person above is ) just in general.
It's a huge problem. It's extremely worrying too driving a lightweight vehicle with performance brakes. I'm sure my reaction in a panic stop situation will not compensate for the 6,000lb vehicle behind me if they're following too closely. I had one a couple years ago where I was pulling into a parking lot and the truck behind me was following too closely as someone ran in front of me on the sidewalk. I stomped the brake and the truck behind me creamed my F150. I was lucky I was driving that because it was only minor damage. I shouldn't have to drive a large inefficient vehicle to minimize damage from poor drivers.

It's a huge problem. It's extremely worrying too driving a lightweight vehicle with performance brakes. I'm sure my reaction in a panic stop situation will not compensate for the 6,000lb vehicle behind me if they're following too closely. I had one a couple years ago where I was pulling into a parking lot and the truck behind me was following too closely as someone ran in front of me on the sidewalk. I stomped the brake and the truck behind me creamed my F150. I was lucky I was driving that because it was only minor damage. I shouldn't have to drive a large inefficient vehicle to minimize damage from poor drivers.
Both sexes around here are equally as bad at it too. PISSES me off big time

And while at it, make the brightness proportional to the brake force - also disable brake lights altogether, when the car is not moving.
I wouldn't disable them when a car isn't moving, it's easy to tell a car is stopped if it's brake lights are on, but a car at a green stop light with no brake lights on usually means the car is going through the light.

I think that mandating yellow turn signals and red brake lights would do much more for actual safety rather than these other measures, but I also think that the turns and the brake lights should be in the same general location- nothing makes me go "how the F did these Hyundai/Kia/etc engineers ever think that turn signals BELOW the bumper is a good idea?" That location makes more sense as a hazard flasher than a turn signal, especially considering that those signals are most times blocked completely if the vehicle is using a hitch-mounted cargo carrier!
I don't have problems to bumper turn signals.

I do have issues with Bumper mounted brake lights.

First with the Mini clubman

1693696488516.png

Then GM followed suit with the Bolt EUV. The outer sections on the tail lights are fixed to the body.
1693696727838.png

Now, the Chevy traverse has similar styling tails as the Bolt EUV, but they squeezed in the tiny brake lights in between the running light sections

1693696984418.jpg

And while at it, make the brightness proportional to the brake force - also disable brake lights altogether, when the car is not moving.
In Europe if you're pulling more than half a G the 4-way hazards come on.

It must be reassuring to see in one's rearview mirror that the guy behind you is actually paying attention, during one of those almost-pileup highway braking scenarios.

As far as not moving, keep things the way they are... you get more attention with a red traffic light and the car sitting there also displaying red lights.

I wouldn't disable them when a car isn't moving, it's easy to tell a car is stopped if it's brake lights are on, but a car at a green stop light with no brake lights on usually means the car is going through the light.
Seriously - if you need brake lights to tell that a car is not moving, you shouldn't drive at all.
What if a stick shift car is in front of you? You don't have to be on the brake, while waiting in front of a traffic light with a stick shift. Do you crash in those all the time?

If you need brake lights to tell that a car is not moving, you shouldn't drive at all.
You've never been caught in fast moving traffic behind a Hyundai/Kia with two or three brake lights out
I get your point, but we have brake lights for a reason

I'm replacing a LED CHMSL in a 2013 Sonata next weekend, because LEDs are supposed to be lifetime 👀

Last edited:
Seriously - if you need brake lights to tell that a car is not moving, you shouldn't drive at all.
What if a stick shift car is in front of you? You don't have to be on the brake, while waiting in front of a traffic light with a stick shift. Do you crash in those all the time?
I can tell when a car is stopped even with its brakes off. When I drive a stick shift if I keep my foot off the brakes at a stoplight I notice the cars behind me brake harder and later than if I have my foot on the brakes enough to light up the brake lights.

Letting your foot off the brake only works on level ground. If you have a enough of a slant, you'll be rolling forward or backwards. If you use the clutch to keep that car still, that's an easy and fast way to trash the throw-out bearing.

A burnt out brake light is a safety violation, even in Germany.

There is a scam, related to insurance claims, that happens around here taking advantage of "no brake lights".

Setup is like this:

First car is sitting at light, no brake lights on (using parking brake to hold position).

First driver rolls out, and second car assumes moving off as normal.

First driver punches brakes, and second driver, lulled into "normal" driving, runs into the back of the first car.

Ambulance rides, neck injuries ensue.

Same thing as the "box-in" technique, but doesn't require multiple cars. Automatic braking cars are probably helping prevent these types of claims more now.

Back