1995 Camry floor parking brake stuck

Somehow my parents got this as a hand me down, and it was partially because my cousin got a new car and her family shuffled around their cars. My parents are OK with this as a stopgap for emergencies. I’m kind of stuck with it for maybe a day.

But it was parked in front of their house and the parking brake pedal is all the way down and won’t release. Tried all sorts of stuff including a little reverse, drive a bit forward, and turning the steering wheel. Everything seems fine except the brake pedal won’t budge other than going down a tiny bit without any click. I called up my cousin, who both drove it over and also used to drive it regularly, and she says it’s never had any trick to the pedal. Long story, but she’s coming back tomorrow and might have a look at it. However, this photo is the condition it was in when it was parked.

IMG_4162.jpeg

Any suggestions?

It's really weird because I look up parking brake issues with a 1995 Camry and I see a hand lever with a push button. But this one has a floor pedal instead. It's made in Japan, so maybe they were different.

I suppose one thing was that it wasn't driven much recently and could be somewhat sticky. But it was at least driven to my parents place with the parking brake released. Not sure what happened but I'm thinking it was cranked down as far as possible and possibly beyond its limits for release.

It's really weird because I look up parking brake issues with a 1995 Camry and I see a hand lever with a push button. But this one has a floor pedal instead. It's made in Japan, so maybe they were different.

I suppose one thing was that it wasn't driven much recently and could be somewhat sticky. But it was at least driven to my parents place with the parking brake released. Not sure what happened but I'm thinking it was cranked down as far as possible and possibly beyond its limits for release.
My neon parking brake froze engaged and it caused alot of issues. The cable stretched and didn't release.

Pull the release handle then lift up on the pedal. If the pedal can be moved up but it doesn't spring up by itself, that means that the cable is broken. Cable problems are almost a certainty at this age.

Your problem is in the curves in the cable going to the wheels. Sadly the best way out of this is to get an angle grinder and cut 'em off as close to the drums as you can. New cables are only about $20 a side. You won't be able to get the drums off with the brakes locked on so you won't be able to replace, or free up the old cables, "surgically."

Pull the release handle then lift up on the pedal. If the pedal can be moved up but it doesn't spring up by itself, that means that the cable is broken. Cable problems are almost a certainty at this age.

I’m not there now, but I think I tried pulling on the pedal with my hand and it stayed in place. Not sure what release handle you’re referring to.

I’m thinking of going back this morning to see if maybe warmer temps help. It wasn’t freezing temps overnight but still kind of cold.

It should release by pushing it all the way forward as far as it can go. Have you tried that yet? You may have to move that rubber hose a little so it can move forward a little more to release. Also use your leg / foot on the pedal.

It should release by pushing it all the way forward as far as it can go. Have you tried that yet? You may have to move that rubber hose a little so it can move forward a little more to release. Also use your leg / foot on the pedal.

I practically stood on it to the point where I was worried that I might bend it.

See if you can disconnect the front end of the cable from the parking brake pedal assembly. According to the diagram below, it simply requires removing a cotter pin and detaching the clevis pin used to attach the cable to the pedal assembly. See item 46410D in the illustration below.

1707670039666.jpg

I’m not there now, but I think I tried pulling on the pedal with my hand and it stayed in place. Not sure what release handle you’re referring to.

I’m thinking of going back this morning to see if maybe warmer temps help. It wasn’t freezing temps overnight but still kind of cold.

Doesn't this model have a release handle under the dash as shown as item 46217 in the diagram I posted in Post #11?

Just as a general piece of info, it’s parked pointing downhill.

My dad just called and said he managed to release the brake. Said there was a handle somewhere that I didn’t see. I was to,d it was just the pedal.

Doesn't this model have a release handle under the dash as shown as item 46217 in the diagram I posted in Post #11?

Yes it does. That’s the part of the puzzle that wasn’t explained to me. When I called it was just ”step down on the pedal”. Didn’t notice the release handle, which I’ve never seen before in any car. Every other one I’ve ever driven was just a simple on-off without a release handle.

IMG_4164.jpeg

I had another look at it, and this is unlike any other parking brake I’ve ever used. I guess it only releases with the handle and doesn’t require stepping on the pedal to release the parking brake. But the brake engages with the pedal to the floor.

I’ve seen floor pedal parking brakes since the 70s, and all were step once to set the parking brake and step again to release. Strike that. I looked up how it worked on my dad’s Buick from the 70s and that had a release handle labeled as “BRAKE RELEASE”. I saw that thing with the P on this Camry and was confused. I thought maybe it might have something to do with parking lights.

So I ended up driving it today and it seems OK for an almost 30 year old car. The heat seems to have issues, and I’m not sure of the transmission. When in drive the center shift position indicator goes dead, but not in any other position. The locks are kind of odd, The passenger door won’t open at all with the key. The driver side is kind of balky. The remote locks but won’t open, where the key is needed. And there’s the alarm, which can go off but only turns off when the remote lock is activated.

Other than that I suppose it drives like it did when new. Kind of a soft suspension and absolutely no steering feel. Kind of have to anticipate where to stop turning g the wheel.

Back