Electric parking brake maintenance

Do these need anything special for them? I ask as I was in the garage when the wife was parking the car, and the brake sounded "loud". 2021 Camry, all I know is that the brake is using some motor to spin out the piston so as to clamp onto the rotor. That spinny bit, is there a lube point that I should be aware of?

/rant on

Not sure I am impressed with these things. It's nice that when I put into park and wait a hot second, that the car won't rock, as the brake will do its bit. That said, I'm finding that the pads wear out faster, due to our road salt pad ears tend to rust up and things not slide. [No I don't think it's from the brake distribution, using the rear brakes first to prevent nose dive. That may be in the mix but it seems these pads are "always" stuck when I inspect.] Actually effective compared to the drum based parking brakes (until the pads seize), but seemingly harder on pads.

And they said the brakes should last a long time, it being a hybrid! shortest brake life I've had, 60k and one pad was almost to metal. Usually get more like 5yr/120k or so. My 'rolla is due for rear pads but as I bought it used I'm letting it slide, the dealership had to do front pads after only 47k, but that says I lost half the rear pad in only 15k? seems wrong, but I'll do a pad slap and see how long they last.

Need to go back to a simple stickshift car some day...

/rant off

My 2021 Traverse has this. I think the best you can do is hope you don't get water/salt intrusion anywhere on them. Then again, the same stuff that kills the old cable actuated systems with lots of moving parts.

No maintenance with these. The fact that they get regular use helps in that they won't freeze up. Just be sure to always place them into service mode when changing rear pads.

No maintenance with these. The fact that they get regular use helps in that they won't freeze up. Just be sure to always place them into service mode when changing rear pads.
Oh I had so much fun the first time doing that... it's gotten better, but I still smart over that one. Actually... I wonder if that is the side making noise, maybe the caliper is done for... then again, in our climate, everything rusts. Never lost a caliper this early but hey, there's a time to be first.

Thanks all, sounds like I'll ignore this until the wife complains, then get new calipers. Any luck, she'll never hear it.

Back