The new 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe is the bomb

We saw a 2024 Santa Fe this weekend while at the car wash and had to go to the dealership to check it out. My newest car is 13 years old belove Honda Fit Sport so I am not accustomed to all the latest features and doodads. If I wasn't so frugal and the sticker price wasn't so high before the 10% they-wish adjustment, I would probably bought one this weekend.

The car simply looks like a Land Rover Defender. The third row is difficult to get in but roomy enough for anyone below 5'6" but overall the vehicle is on point.

Upon watching review videos, I ran across a relative successful car channel with around 500k subscribers indicating their 2024 Sante Fe had already went through one transmission and is likely needing another replacement soon. The owners buy cars to review as a business and they are generally big fans of Kia and Hyundai. It is hard to say these two brands hadn't knock things out the parks in term of quality improvement and having some the best designer admirers in the industry; many of their vehicles are basically Walmart variants of European cars costing 2x-3x as much and likely 1/3 as reliable. Therefore, the brands are winners for most consumers. But it seems they are having quality issues a lot lately by using mismatched major components such as engines and transmissions. For this transmission problem in particular, it seems that the transmission can't handle a vehicle of this size and turbo-level power output.

The Santa Fe isn't cheap either, having sticker prices similar to Grand Highlanders; therefore, it looks like my dream of owning a reliable Defender will be put on hold a bit longer. That and the thought of paying annual personal property taxes, insurance, and registration on a $50k plus vehicle is just too much to justify and even process for now. I'll change the oil an the Fit and take it on a toll expressway for some Italian tune-up and call it a day.

What're your thoughts on Kia and Huyndai lately and have you seen the new 2024 Santa Fe?

Every other car commercial on TV is either Kia or Hyundai, so yes I've seen the newest models with all their gimmicks.

The new 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe is the bomb

You mean this Ford Flex looking thing?

ford-flex.jpg

I still consider them 100K mi vehicles, and since I don't buy something that I don't intend to keep past that mileage, not for me.
This has been my position but I am often wrong on many things. My buddy's Sedona has over 300k miles and likely over 20 years old and it has towed a lot of thing for his many businesses.

I am still fantasying about owning a Walmart Defender that I went and spec'ed out two additional sets of wheels to have Michelin Defender and Cross Climate 2 to swap in and out.

Maybe I'll get a car in 2-5 years. No car loan and soon-to-be no mortgage has been great.

I still consider them 100K mi vehicles, and since I don't buy something that I don't intend to keep past that mileage, not for me.
Not sure why you feel that way; this isn't a 1989 Hyundai Excel. Just a personal data point on an older Santa Fe: we have a 2007 Santa Fe GLS in the family (my wife originally and now my daughter's) with over 251,000 miles on it.

Maybe I'll get a car in 2-5 years. No car loan and soon-to-be no mortgage has been great.
I brand new 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD can be had for $40K, maybe less, after negotiations. The "L" 7-seat version is maybe $1K more. It's got a 3.6L Pentastar, and a bullet-proof ZF 8HP50 transmission, plus the diffs are ZF, and the transfer case is a Borg-Warner unit. The only thing to do is swap out the oil cooler for an aluminum one when you get it, and it will do circles around any Hyundai/KIA product, for less money.

At least it looks decent and it can tow/haul without any issues, or with the risk of the engine/transmission grenading themselves apart.

jeep.jpg

The transmission in these had a manufacturing flaw(circuit board iirc) the replacement has it pretty much ironed out and software updated.

I brand new 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD can be had for $40K, maybe less, after negotiations. The "L" 7-seat version is maybe $1K more. It's got a 3.6L Pentastar, and a bullet-proof ZF 8HP50 transmission, plus the diffs are ZF, and the transfer case is a Borg-Warner unit. The only thing to do is swap out the oil cooler for an aluminum one when you get it, and it will do circles around any Hyundai/KIA product, for less money.
Where I'll buy one tomorrow for <40k out the door.
here is cheapest I can find.. and it needs about 5k of options... and not white.. and those wheels.. ;p
1714424413725.jpg

Last edited:
The older Santa Fe or Sonata cars where the good years cars. We just did an intake gasket on 2006 Sonata V6 and runs great, My cousin's 2012 Sportage is on the junk Yard: The engine rods blew!

You mean this Ford Flex looking thing?

View attachment 216809

The Flex is a nice looking vehicle for folks who want minivan room but don't want to be marginalize by other soccer moms and PTA and HOA gangs as uncool. It sits low on the ground unlike the new Santa Fe, which looks more like the older Defender. That is how Kia and Huyndai can get away with their inspired-by designs, just wait for big European makers to upgrade the looks and use the older ones but never get it too perfect.

The new Santa Fe even has the side hinge for external mount accessories like the Defender.

maxresdefault.jpg

2024-hyundai-santa-fe-terracota-orange-exterior-102-64cc0b06e605b.jpg

santa fe.jpg

Not sure why you feel that way; this isn't a 1989 Hyundai Excel. Just a personal data point on an older Santa Fe: we have a 2007 Santa Fe GLS in the family (my wife originally and now my daughter's) with over 251,000 miles on it.
Because your 2007 is better than the newer ones with engines being replaced.

I thought Hyundai turned a corner in quality in about 2010 (I worked in a dealership’s shop with a Hyundai side to it from 2003-2013). That being said, we bought a new 2013 Santa Fe. It needed front struts (for noise) within the first year of owning it, then we traded it due to needing more room. We tried to get out of minivan life in 2022 with a new Palisade, ignoring my old co-workers concerns with Hyundai quality (I still had the mindset that quality was continually improving since I left there). Boy was I wrong. Our Palisade was the biggest POS…we fought all 4 local shops and 1 way out of town shop to try to get it all ironed out only to let Hyundai pay us to shut up and in turn trade it in as fast as we could. The car ended up costing us a net of nothing given when we bought and when we traded, plus the Hyundai hush money, but it was an extremely frustrating year of ownership.

Never again will we own a Hyundai, and that’s coming from an ex-mechanic who ignored all my current mechanic friends’ advice to stay away. I learned my lesson.

Never again will we own a Hyundai, and that’s coming from an ex-mechanic who ignored all my current mechanic friends’ advice to stay away. I learned my lesson.
With comments like that you could just substitute Jeep or stellantis and a majority of people here would agree :ROFLMAO:
(but not me)
Lemons out there all over.. was the palisade a first model year.. that is always chancy any brand.

I am not a fan of the new SantaFe. The styling is terrible. I will pass.
some people like ugly cars.. I think it looks alot better in person.. but not really my cup of tea either.. of course I've owned 5 subarus and those have never had style.

Back