automatic owners using parking brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I would happen to park on a steep hill, I basically never use it in an auto, and rarely in a manual.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Handbrake is on every time the vehicle is to be left unattended, whether it is in gear/park or not.

Not sure what an emergency brake is, nor why foot brakes don't have a ratchet and pawl mechanism.

The parking brake in my Malibu has a ratchet mechanism. You have to push down to disengage it. Only bad part about that is if someone in my family needs to drive my car or move it, the end up opening the hood...

And I also always use it, unless I'm in my garage. Main reason being to reduce damage in the event of someone bumping it.

Last edited:
Remember the early W-bodies?

If you used the parking brake, the rear brakes would stick and drag.
If you didn't use the parking brake, they would stick and not work.

It amazed me when I lived in Denver and would visit towns in the foothills like Golden with steep streets. I did all my driving for more than 20 years on the flat down here. Yet I knew to put on the parking brake and turn the wheels into the curb when parking downhill and away from the curb when parking uphill, while nobody in Colorado seemed to do that.

Only use the parking brake when parked on an incline, and yes I put it in neutral apply the park brake then put it in park.

As for the DRL's on my S10 I killed them by prying the ground terminal flat against the relay casing and reinstalling the relay. These trucks look crosseyed with the DRL's on. I also HATE the auto headlamps. i know when to turn on my headlamps, I'm not a dummy.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Unless I would happen to park on a steep hill, I basically never use it in an auto, and rarely in a manual.
cool.gif

Why the heck would you not use it in a manual!?!?!?!?!?!?

You can only put the car in a forward gear or reverse. So your car can roll!!!!

Last edited:
I drive stick so I use it all the time. I make sure the load is alway on the brakes on not the parking pawl when parking on a hill.

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
I also HATE the auto headlamps. i know when to turn on my headlamps, I'm not a dummy.

Automatic headlamps that are well designed are a convenience, not a statement on the intelligence of the operator. I loved them on my GMC Sierra because they worked well; on my Hyundai Sonata, though, I practically have to be in a cave for them to turn on.

I don't set it every time I park, but set it at least once a day. My driveway is sloped so I always set it there and any other time I park on a slope.

Auto headlights are an intelligent safety feature. You may remember to use yours when needed, but for sure every other driver doesn't think to - in conditions like rain, light fog/mist, etc, when his car is more visible to you because his lights came on when he turned the key. I trust that feature more than the intelligence of some of the drivers I've seen on the road.

-Spyder

Last edited:
My auto headlights like to switch on and off during dawn/dusk conditions depending on the way Im facing and the shadows. I leave them on auto most of the time but I will lock them either off or on depending on my judgement of the lighting during those periods. I dont really like to be going down the road and having my headlights flip-flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back