Anyone else just buy enough gas to get home?

The first source at 77.9 cents per gallon tax did not break out exactly how they came up with the total, but it definitely did not include the cap and trade and carbon fuel fees. Reading the article more closely, I see that number included sales tax, so I did double count that charge (the last 52.5 cents).
Thanks; I think the total number is about $1.18. We pay a lotta taxes in CA, no doubt. But someone is making bank on gas, and energy.

Sorry, little ‘sympathy’ here…$5.99/gallon is $1.58/litre…we have been paying $1.55-up per litre for a few years here…not trying to be mean, but these prices are normal for us.

I usually top off on the AZ side of the border when driving to California.

Although California isn’t that bad in the big cities right now. Looking on Gas Buddy most stations are $4.99 or $5.09. Maybe $0.30 cheaper than that in Phoenix if you hunt around.

In Apple Valley, CA it’s $4.99 at the Mobil and $5.35 at the Circle K.

Since I have a large fleet, I do this one some of my cars, so they get fresh gas more often. My cars dont like full tanks if they sit for a while…..

If I was paying California prices I probably would…. But mid grade 89 octane was $3.79 a gallon and I had $1 off per gallon so I got 15 gallons at $2.79 a gallon.

I do the opposite, but same idea. If I am going somewhere that I know fuel is more expensive, I will top up the tank at a station I may see that is cheaper.

very rarely do I run my vehicles under half a tank.

I don't feel like breaking down and crying in front of the gas pump having to completely fill one of my vehicles.

not that it really matters in the long run I just don't want to be in that position where I have to throw just a couple gallons in to get somewhere where the gas is cheaper.

I also keep several full gas cans at home so I can't also top my vehicles off before going for a long drive so I don't have to stop somewhere before going to fill up.

I run the tank down to 1/3 and then I fill up at a conveniently located gas statoon that offers a lower than average price. Im not going out of my way to find the lowest price. I do fill up before prices go up even more.

Gas prices out west are just higher due to refinery capacity. We're at $5/gal for 87 here in Phoenix. The same people complaining about gas prices are driving a lifted pickup with huge tires.

Or the big 6000 pound SUV needed for taking the kids to school and little league sports.

Last edited:
"Re-refined oil?" In 1963?

You got a UOA on that? 😎
I used to buy Royal Purple back in the '70's that said made from previous refined oil on the can at 2 Guys in NJ. Good enough for my '60's cars I had as a kid.
Yes I fuel in NYS with enough to get back to NJ with the 1/4 tank mark treated as E.
50 - 60 cents a gallon difference adds up. Add the insult of self-serve at the higher price vs full serve in NJ cheaper. No self-serve in NJ state law.

It just went down yesterday and today, especially at Costco.
Costco is $4.99 for 87 and $5.29 for 91. Cheapie stations are 60 to 80 cents more; name stations are off the freakin' charts.
You wonder why EVs are popular around here.

Yep ev in California if in the budget total no brainer as is solar.

I got a solar quote in Indiana and laughed and told them this isn’t ca or HI electric rates here. Would almost likely never make that investment back unless rates seriously increased

Apparently this is done with EV charging too and prices are increasing at least in Canada/Quebec as adoption increases. People are trying to recoup money invested. You get stuck paying it for now if traveling.

Ha, after working on Sis' Jeep I ran low on the way home....my fault for not starting the day with a full tank.
Stopped in a posh town where gas cost double.
You bet I bought just enough to get home.

Gasoline in BC costs more than in Alberta. When driving to Alberta from BC, I don’t leave with a full tank unless it’s winter. I only head into snow covered mountain passes with a full tank. Coming back, I have a favourite pit-stop at Dead Man’s Flats east of Canmore on highway 1 where I fill up prior to re-entering BC. It’s like hauling a tank of Alberta gasoline to use in BC.

I have done the opposite. Up here in the Sou Cal mountains 91 octane Shell or Mobil is $6.89. But "down the hill" in nearby cities I can buy ARCO or EXXON 91 octane for as much as $0.90 a gallon cheaper. So occasionally I'll buy just a couple of gallons up here just to last until my next shopping run down the hill where I usually top off my tank. The savings on gas and groceries more than make up for the gas consumed on the 60 or 70 mile round trip.

For reasons not entirely clear to me, gas is reliably 40-70¢ a gallon less expensive in the town where I work, 30 miles north of home, than it is in the stations right by home. Sam's club, which I dislike going to unless it's at an off time, is 10 miles out of the way and somewhere between the two.

If I find myself low over the weekend, I will often stop at the station closest to my house and buy 2-3 gallons on Sunday night or Monday morning. That will get me to work with plenty to spare(which take 1-1.25 gallons) and then I fill up as I'm leaving work on Monday.

If I run down to 1/4 tank, it will take me about 14 gallons to fill up. Using actual current prices, if I buy 3 gallons at the station by my house($3.89) it will cost me 11.67. I'd probably put $10 or $15 in and call it a day, but let's say for the sake of this that I did exactly 3 gallons. Filling up would cost me $54.46 at this station.

If I put 3 gallons in, drive to work and really luck out on stop lights and driving perfectly, I'll need 12 gallons to fill up. Realistically, in this scenario, it's probably going to be more like 12.5 gallons, but we'll go with the smaller number. Current price at the station closest to my work is $3.29, so that tank will cost me $39.48.

My total spent on gas for the day is now $51.15, and so I've saved $3.31 AND ended up with an extra gallon of gas vs. filling up close to home. Neither stop takes me out of the way, and probably adds 10 minutes to the day.

I don't find myself in that specific scenario all that often-maybe once every other month. I usually try to fill up by work at the end of the week, and it's rare that I will use enough gas over the weekend that I feel I need to fill up before going to work on Monday. Even at that, though, 6 times a year means an extra hour of my time over the course of the year and saving probably close to $40. It's small but in my mind probably worth it.

Of course, I COULD probably chance it and make it to work on 1/4 tank. I've done it before, and it was fine. The main people traveling my direction in the morning are people headed to where I work, and traffic jams are rare but do happen(and lately I have had an occasional construction delay). Still, though, running out of gas would certainly mitigate any potential savings from pushing it. In the above scenario, if I did risk it, using the same basic numbers I'd pay $49.35 for a full tank and, again, get an extra gallon of gas. That's about $5 saved vs. filling up at home, or about $2 less than the way I usually do it(a small amount close to home). The $2 is worth not worrying about running out.

Then there's the extra-alternate scenario where I have a gallon or two lawnmower gas in the garage that probably should be cycled out for fresh, so I gather that up dump it in my tank. I do that with careful consideration, though, since most of what I keep on hand is 32:1 pre-mix. I'd not worry about adding that to a nearly full tank, but am not sure about one so close to empty. Least often touched, though, is the can I keep designated for "pure" gas since I don't have any 4 cycle outdoor equipment currently and it's mostly there just as a backup that I can mix if I'm in the middle of mowing and find myself out of gas.

Needed gas today. Only put in enough to get us closer to home where gas is a little cheaper

View attachment 182339
Living in IL near the MO state line, I often get just a couple of gallons in IL to get me to MO to get gas that is often $0.50 less per gallon. The usual delta is $0.30

Today, the delta between the Sam's club in my community and one across the river is $0.31/gallon.

Since I work over that way, I try to fill up before I head back to the People's Republik of Illinoisistan.

Every gen-x er grew up doing this. Dad did it, Grandpa did it.

The tank at the house and farm had 250-500 gallons and was much cheaper than what was at the pumps as we bought it in bulk.

Before ATM's and credit cards you had the money in your pocket and or least in our family we treated a penny/nickel/dime quarter saved as one earned because we were Indiana farmers and thats how we rolled. We did everything we could to save our money for better things than fuel.

When it came to the fill-er up it was at home or the local stations knew us by face and sent us a bill.

In the era of ATMs and everyone using credit every visit became a fill-er up visit regardless of the price or added price.
Everyones in way to much of a hurry to save a buck or two so they pay the freight for the added charge - 50 times a year.
When it isnt coming right out of the bills in your hand/pocket it's much easier to ignore.

Electric cars are in some ways a return to this. It will be cheaper at home by far to fill up in most places than a high speed DC charger.

Back