Anyone else just buy enough gas to get home?

Needed gas today. Only put in enough to get us closer to home where gas is a little cheaper

IMG_20231007_151219046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did today. Partly because gas was expensive, partly because I spent too much on other stuff and couldn't buy a full tank with the money i was carrying at the time

The subject caught my eye and got me thinking about if and when I may have done that.

It was in 1963 when driving home to Queens, NY from Watchung, NJ. It was late at night, after midnight, and I pulled into a station somewhere on the NJ Turnpike when I saw the gas gauge was "kissing the E." I put in $1.35 worth of gas, and since the oil in the ol' Pontiac was pretty low too, I added a quart of 25¢ re-refined oil. Gas was about 25¢ a gallon in those days, so the approximately five gallons that I added was plenty to get me home.

I've done it before. Sometimes my car would be almost empty and I would get a few gallons at the "expensive" station near my house, then fill up at Costco near my work. Probably saved at least $.02 over the years.

OP, you're dealing with a whole different ball game price wise out there in CA. I'm sure it's beautiful where you live, but I don't know how anyone affords to live there.

OP, the entire state drives Priuses and EVs who unfortunately have little sympathy. Murphy's was at $3.02 this morning in Central Texas. We gargle with oil.

Something similar when traveling. Just enough to get to the next state where it's quite a bit cheaper.

OP, you're dealing with a whole different ball game price wise out there in CA. I'm sure it's beautiful where you live, but I don't know how anyone affords to live there.
Oh dear. . . I'm going to get in some serious trouble if I don't quit reading this thread. 🫢

The subject caught my eye and got me thinking about if and when I may have done that.

It was in 1963 when driving home to Queens, NY from Watchung, NJ. It was late at night, after midnight, and I pulled into a station somewhere on the NJ Turnpike when I saw the gas gauge was "kissing the E." I put in $1.35 worth of gas, and since the oil in the ol' Pontiac was pretty low too, I added a quart of 25¢ re-refined oil. Gas was about 25¢ a gallon in those days, so the approximately five gallons that I added was plenty to get me home.

"Re-refined oil?" In 1963?

You got a UOA on that? 😎

We have pretty small tanks really, but on the other hand $5 is $5, and if I crunch the numbers, I don't take home a dollar a minute and I don't work that many minutes in a week, so I have done the splash and dash, to make it to the indian reservation for the 20% discount.
More often I'll pour in some old gas at home, and bring a gas can or 3 and save $20.

Back