Anyone else just buy enough gas to get home?

I've got stations 12 miles apart that are a buck apart in pricing. My truck never goes by the cheap one so I "shuttle" 5 gallon cans in my prius, so I fill my car plus the can on my way home from work. This keeps my truck somewhere between F and E (but hard to calculate MPG) and my generator gas fresh.

Haven't done this in a very long time. Like when I was a teenager. I've seen gas at prices that I might not care for, but in general, I don't pay attention. I pay more attention to the gas gauge and fill up before I have to, so I get to pick the station.

Getting below 1/4 tank gives me the willies. For the last 2 years I have had Yoshi fill up my tank every Wed while it sits in the parking lot at work. Other times while we are on a trip I just bite the bullet and fill it up unless it's one of those insane gas stations next to an airport.

I do all the time. I look for cheap gas despite driving something that gets over 50 MPG. I make sure to have plenty of gas when it's cold or going somewhere far.

IMG_5503 2.JPG

California has the highest state gas tax in the nation of 77.9 cents, plus 23 cents for California's cap and trade program, plus18 cents for California low carbon fuel program. Plus the whole thing is subject to a high sales tax (yes, sports fans, a tax on a tax). Of course that's not all as I suspect the refineries and pipelines get hammered there also.

So 77.9+23+18+52.5 = $1.714 in direct taxes per gallon in Victorville, CA. A few cents less in Apple Valley because the sales tax rate is a bit less.

I did when I was 20....

$6/gal in Cali, $4.20 in Az, $3.86 in my hometown Pa, $3.09 in Ohio - how can that be?

The gas tax in Cali doesn't cause that much difference.
2.82 today. diesel is 4.19 though.

I’m on a trip now where I didn’t fully “fill” with the intent of putting in cheaper gas elsewhere. I’m not letting go empty just not filling fully so my last mandatory stop is timed safely

Any time I know I’m making a trip to Appleton I try to be as empty as possible when I get there to save the 50cents+ per gallon.

I never drive out of my way for gas but I do plan my stops so I pay the least on the way to other destinations

Last edited:
Gasbuddy is your friend in finding lower prices near your route of travel.
I have splashed a gallon into the HAH now and then to get me through the day in anticipation of taking advantage of Kroger fuel points to fuel both cars a day later.
Yes, I am that cheap.

Needed gas today. Only put in enough to get us closer to home where gas is a little cheaper
Yes, our Prevost bus/mh holds 250 gallons of diesel. We do a 2000 mile out and back roundtrip between our 2 homes (TX & CO). It takes about 250 gallons to do this trip. Fuel is always cheapest in TX near our home. So I'll buy a little in TX to gets us back home, then go fillup locally.
Prevost BR 3.28.20.JPG

I check Gas Buddy most every time before leaving home if a car needs gas. Right now I see between $3.79 to $3.95 for stations 2-3 miles away. If I go 5-6 miles away it's $3.35 to $3.39 and 10 miles away a station is at $3.28. It's pretty easy to combine trips so I pass by the lower priced stations.

I've thought about it but realized that a couple dollars wasn't worth the drama.

Wish I could send you some $2.98/gallon! I shudder to think what L.A. or San Fran must be…
It just went down yesterday and today, especially at Costco.
Costco is $4.99 for 87 and $5.29 for 91. Cheapie stations are 60 to 80 cents more; name stations are off the freakin' charts.
You wonder why EVs are popular around here.

California has the highest state gas tax in the nation of 77.9 cents, plus 23 cents for California's cap and trade program, plus18 cents for California low carbon fuel program. Plus the whole thing is subject to a high sales tax (yes, sports fans, a tax on a tax). Of course that's not all as I suspect the refineries and pipelines get hammered there also.

So 77.9+23+18+52.5 = $1.714 in direct taxes per gallon in Victorville, CA. A few cents less in Apple Valley because the sales tax rate is a bit less.
Please show your source.

It just went down yesterday and today, especially at Costco.
Costco is $4.99 for 87 and $5.29 for 91. Cheapie stations are 60 to 80 cents more; name stations are off the freakin' charts.
You wonder why EVs are popular around here.
Yet people still buy and drive their big luxury SUV's and pickups usually by themselves and as a daily driver.

The first source at 77.9 cents per gallon tax did not break out exactly how they came up with the total, but it definitely did not include the cap and trade and carbon fuel fees. Reading the article more closely, I see that number included sales tax, so I did double count that charge (the last 52.5 cents).

Yet people still buy and drive their big luxury SUV's and pickups usually by themselves and as a daily driver.
The thing people don't seem to realize is, it's not apples to apples. There is a lot of money here; people make more.
But don't get me wrong; these prices hurt a lotta people. As do other things, particularly housing.

Back