What is it with the Northeast and missing gas pump auto-hold tangs?

I just got back from a trip to visit family in northern Vermont/New Hampshire. It has always been a pet peeve of mine, that whenever I go east of Ohio, gas stations break off the pump hold tab, forcing you to hold the nozzle and just watch the numbers spin upward. If that weren't bad enough, it rubs salt in the wound that I'm paying $0.50+ more per gallon than I do at home.

PA seems to be hit or miss, but in my experience upstate NY and further east always have them missing/broken. At least in NJ you can do whatever you want while the attendant pumps it for you.

Is there something about the pump shutoff mechanisms in the northeast that make them inherently less reliable than elsewhere in the country, where they work just fine? I'd rather be washing my windows, checking on the kids, looking at the map, or a hundred other things (while remaining close to the gas pump) than watching numbers spin. Perhaps its mandated by state law, I have no idea.

Any other areas of the country where this is present? Curious if anyone has ever had or seen the pump shutoff malfunction? My hunch is that would be the only reason a retailer might choose to defeat the hold down, but I assume it's a very rare failure.

Reactions: NDL
I think it is state law in NY, but it sure isn’t in NH, all the pumps I go to are just fine. Not sure about the rest, I rarely go out of state at the moment.

I imagine the auto-hold requires permission of the local Fire Marshal or similar authority having jurisdiction.

We have a few unmanned pump islands here, I find those a bit sketchy. Yet they aren't noticeably cheaper, huh, imagine.

No auto-hold keeps the consumer on the pump to minimize spills, and therefore, spill cleanups.

Uh, ‘zactly how does that minimize spills?

What I have observed in those “no tang” situations is Bubba or Cooter trying to squeeze the last 1/10 of an ounce into the gas tank.

And they just keep squeezing until there’s a splurge (spill) of gasoline down the side of their ride.

Of course, common sense (lacking) dictates they run to the windshield trough and use the squeegee to “detail” the appropriate quarter panel around the filler door. Sometimes while they’re there they use the squeegee to detail the entire car/pickup/suv.

When the fuel handle clicks, replace it to the pump. No milking it, no spills, no squeegee detailing.

It doesn’t take a village. It takes a tang.

What I have observed in those “no tang” situations is Bubba or Cooter trying to squeeze the last 1/10 of an ounce into the gas tank.

That would probably be because Bubba or Cooter is paying with cash and doesn't want to have to count out change, so they're trying to get an even dollar amount on the pump.

I can't remember the last time I paid cash for gas. It must have been back in the 90s.

I was pumping gas on the apparently wrong side of West Columbia SC once, it had the lock, but it didn't shut off. Dumped likely a gallon on the ground - I was off doing something else.

I went in to report the spill. The attendant did not speak English, or more likely feigned they did not.

I try not to stray too far anymore.

We have town laws ordered by the fire marshall that forbid leaving the pump while it's on for any reason - none of those pumps have the locks, my guess, by design. I have an effective gas tank that takes 30 gallons....trust me...it get it!

That would probably be because Bubba or Cooter is paying with cash and doesn't want to have to count out change, so they're trying to get an even dollar amount on the pump.

I can't remember the last time I paid cash for gas. It must have been back in the 90s.

Bubba or Cooter were paying cash so they had something left over for that Red Bull and four Slim Jims ……..

We don't really have those here
Almost never in NYC, although my local Costco just gained them
Something about unattended fueling and spills 🤷‍♂️

It sounds like it would be a minor luxury, but I've managed without it for the past 8 years 🤔

ties onion to belt

We don't have them at all in the UK.

Back in 2018 I had a fuel pump fail to automatically shut off. I was stood with my back to the car leaning on the rear O/S door with my right hand on the pump while I stared into the distance. Next thing I hear running water and realise my leg is covered in diesel. I walked into the Kiosk to pay and explain what had happened to the Woman behind the desk, citing that my shoes and trousers were ruined to which she replied "Do you know what? You're the 3rd person to complain about that pump today!". I just said "I think it would have been wise to investigate after the first complaint, don't you?" and stormed off.

More than once at work I had drivers spill gallons of fuel because they left the nozzle while fueling. They would sometimes jam it in the opening upside down so it would stay in kind of. Once jammed in they would walk away and the nozzle would fall out while running. Diesel school busses not designed to hold the nozzle.

Back