9MM grain weight and type for concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I understand your point, the question was 9mm, not parabellum or 9x19. .38, .357, .380ACP are all the same 9mm projectile diameter.
You’re being pedantic.

It was quite clear that the OP was about 9x19mm for concealed carry.

The OT answers remain just that, OT.

I personally recommend FMJ for protection. Only if you have plenty of practice, steady nerves under attack and consistent accuracy.

I personally rarely use hollow points (except for my old Black Talons). And only then for entertainment shots at the outdoor ranges. The Black Talons are a wonderful round that I never once had Jam. The Ranger/PDX rounds that replaced them cannot even compare to that consistency.

Most hollow points are not as consistent in a 9mm (or any auto) and are prone to jamming. Also they are a very dirty round. All that being said, for the less experienced weapon handler hollow points with light grain count are a safer option. They are less prone to penetration and striking an innocent bystander.

And for those that practice at tactical ranges, most use colored simunition rounds for quick target acquirement. And I know for sure wax wads for quick draw competition. I recommend for any self defense practice to use non lethal rounds ALWAYS.

Unfortunately I might as well be speaking to a wall. The average concealed/open carry citizen does not have near the training or nerves to be trusted in a true battle. This is shown to be true time and time again at the range.

I personally recommend FMJ for protection. Only if you have plenty of practice, steady nerves under attack and consistent accuracy.

I personally rarely use hollow points (except for my old Black Talons). And only then for entertainment shots at the outdoor ranges. The Black Talons are a wonderful round that I never once had Jam. The Ranger/PDX rounds that replaced them cannot even compare to that consistency.

Most hollow points are not as consistent in a 9mm (or any auto) and are prone to jamming. Also they are a very dirty round. All that being said, for the less experienced weapon handler hollow points with light grain count are a safer option. They are less prone to penetration and striking an innocent bystander.

And for those that practice at tactical ranges, most use colored simunition rounds for quick target acquirement. And I know for sure wax wads for quick draw competition. I recommend for any self defense practice to use non lethal rounds ALWAYS.

Unfortunately I might as well be speaking to a wall. The average concealed/open carry citizen does not have near the training or nerves to be trusted in a true battle. This is shown to be true time and time again at the range.

:ROFLMAO:

It truly will not matter if you (the shooter) does your part. Practice, and make good hits.

All of the various ammo will have pros and cons, from structure to depth to expansion to cost. It's a lot of energy to waste trying to find the magic pill when all the magic is actually in your ability. It's the Indian, not the arrow, that counts.
Unless it is a 45acp /10mm. Then a near miss is all that is needed.

Genuinely terrible advice full of misinformation.

I don’t own, or even know of, a single, decent 9mm that jams using hollow points. Hollow point ammo isn’t any “dirtier”

You must verify your gun/magazine/ammo combination in every caliber, but 9mm tends to be a very reliable feeding round.

Every major police department, every federal agency, including FBI, uses hollow point ammo.

The round transfers all of its energy into the target, so it’s more effective, and safer for bystanders, than FMJ that can go through the target.

The only time FMJ is a decent choice is with very weak calibers like .32 ACP and in that case, you need an FMJ to get enough penetration to be effective.

But 9mm FMJ is a poor choice compared with good defensive ammo like Speer Gold Dot hollow point.

Well that's just your opinion Astro. We can go on in circles but I will not buy into yours. If you are in fact retired military then you already know we used FMJ exclusively. And in the civilian world I know many professional shooters who loath hollow points. A well placed FMJ round has just as much knockdown power as a hollow point. OP was asking about concealed carry ammo. You suggest what's good for you and I'll suggest otherwise.
You must verify your gun/magazine/ammo combination in every caliber, but 9mm tends to be a very reliable feeding round.

All automatic weapons, 9mm or otherwise are always going to be more prone to jamming with a HP when compared to a FMJ round.

Well that's just your opinion Astro. We can go on in circles but I will not buy into yours. If you are in fact retired military then you already know we used FMJ exclusively. And in the civilian world I know many professional shooters who loath hollow points. A well placed FMJ round has just as much knockdown power as a hollow point. OP was asking about concealed carry ammo. You suggest what's good for you and I'll suggest otherwise.

All automatic weapons, 9mm or otherwise are always going to be more prone to jamming with a HP when compared to a FMJ round.
The military does not use FMJ pistol rounds exclusively. The M882 is a NATO standard round though. However, at one time that did.

While the Coast Guard isn't DoD anymore, they use 40 S&W, 155 grain rounds: FMJ, JHP and a frangible training round.

The Army adopted the Navy (NCIS) 9mm 147 grain JHP cartridge, originally intended for law enforcement units for CONUS and its territories, but once the top brass found out the Army had JHP in inventory, they said "the hell with the inventory controls" and had rounds shipped overseas for the bases.

The Army's Modular Handgun Program RFP required submission of 2 pistols (standard & compact), along with a ball round, a JHP round (and if I remember correctly, a frangible training round)

And the MP5 needed a "low impulse" 9mm JHP cartridge... same bullet, slightly less propellant to cycle the gun properly, as it had a slightly different NSN.

MK262 Open Tip round looks like a hollow point, but also wasn't prone to jamming as suggested.

Not only my opinion, the opinion of major law enforcement agencies like the FBI that do extensive testing and training.

Look, the US military uses FMJ because of The Hague Convention, not round effectiveness.

“Knock down power” is a specious term. No handgun is knocking anyone down.

Round effectiveness is a function of weight, velocity and expansion - all of which combine to create a wound channel that incapacitates the assailant.

The FBI, famously, went to 10mm when 9mm FMJ failed (after several hits) to stop two determined assailants in the 1986 shoot out.

The best trained agents, with the best hits possible given the tactical circumstances, and 9mm FMJ was tragically ineffective.

The 10mm spawned the .40 and police agencies everywhere adopted the .40.

As bullet design changed, modern 9mm hollowpoints perform far better than FMJ, and the 9mm has become the FBIs choice.

Police agencies across the US are going back to the 9mm, for its lower cost, lower recoil, higher capacity, and better officer qualification statistics over the higher recoil .40 or .45.

But all of that is enabled solely because 9mm hollow point ammo works.

9mm FMJ is still a poor choice for defensive purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back