9MM grain weight and type for concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 9mm grain weight (115,124,147) do you guys use for concealed carry and what style round (hollow point, FMJ)?

You'll get every answer under the sun. I use 115 grain premium hollow points there are near countless variations available. Fans of the FBI protocol will use heavier.

My duty carry is Hornady Critical Duty 124 +p which I don't get to pick but I've got no beef with either.

It truly will not matter if you (the shooter) does your part. Practice, and make good hits.

All of the various ammo will have pros and cons, from structure to depth to expansion to cost. It's a lot of energy to waste trying to find the magic pill when all the magic is actually in your ability. It's the Indian, not the arrow, that counts.

These days, the premium top shelf hollow points are all engineered to work about the same. Any variation is not likely to make much difference at all.

Here's a link to a site that publishes ballistic gel testing following standardized protocols. Pic one that more or less keeps the penetration in the 12 to 18 inch range that is reliable and accurate in your pistol and don't obsess over it.

My daily carry is a Glock 43X. I default to federal HST 124gr as this was the duty round I had when I was LE. Duty round for 9mm MP 5's. Sidearm was a G22 40 also issued HST's.

I am rather comfortable with HST's mentioned above, or Hornady XTP bullets, Hornady Critical Duty, Win Ranger, Gold Dots are excellent in 9mm as well. Whatever you choose make sure to put a few rounds downrange to ensure reliability with your weapon. Of course, using the magazine(s )you will carry.

Last edited:
The FBI and the military likes 147 gr JHP, even for the compact 9mm pistols
I don't think this statement is accurate.
Firstly, the military to my knowledge issues 115grain full metal jacket 9x19mm. The war conventions prohibit "hollow point" ammo. And I don't think the military uses "heavy" ammo either. In their carbines they tend to use light 55grain 5.56mm FMJ ammo as well....

As for "the FBI" I'd need to see any study supporting "heavy" ammo. The "experts" tend to gravitate toward mid-weight ammo in all calibers, for some esoteric academic "better performance."
I will reiterate practically nobody is going to suffer significantly more injury or "die more" from the same shot with a moderately different weight or design bullet, all other things (shot placement, range, etc.) being equal.

Expansion is nice, but so is depth of penetration and a "through and through" will by virtue of the definition go deeper, thereby injuring more flesh, and put a 2nd hole in the perp thereby doubling blood loss rate. Two holes are better than one, right?

I keep HPs in my defensive pistols but FMJs will get the job done either way, you're not suffering a real world penalty as long as it's 1) reliable and 2) accurate.

I don't think this statement is accurate.
Firstly, the military to my knowledge issues 115grain full metal jacket 9x19mm. The war conventions prohibit "hollow point" ammo. And I don't think the military uses "heavy" ammo either. In their carbines they tend to use light 55grain 5.56mm FMJ ammo as well....

As for "the FBI" I'd need to see any study supporting "heavy" ammo. The "experts" tend to gravitate toward mid-weight ammo in all calibers, for some esoteric academic "better performance."
I will reiterate practically nobody is going to suffer significantly more injury or "die more" from the same shot with a moderately different weight or design bullet, all other things (shot placement, range, etc.) being equal.

Expansion is nice, but so is depth of penetration and a "through and through" will by virtue of the definition go deeper, thereby injuring more flesh, and put a 2nd hole in the perp thereby doubling blood loss rate. Two holes are better than one, right?

I keep HPs in my defensive pistols but FMJs will get the job done either way, you're not suffering a real world penalty as long as it's 1) reliable and 2) accurate.
JHP is allowed by the military and has seen use overseas, as the MK243 Mod 0 is a 147 grain JHP, and the M1153 is a 147 grain JHP that will replace the MK243.

Yes, the M1152, which will eventually replace the M882 is a 115 grain (as inventory winds down and all the services have converted to the MHS gun by Sig), as the M882 is a 124 grain FMJ. The army has leveraged off of FBI reports for years when it came to the MHS program.

The 55 grain M193 has not been purchased by the military for at least 30 years. The M855 has always been a 62 grain, as well as the M855A1. The secret of the terminal ballistics of 5.56mm is its fragmentation inside soft issue.

The Army has given some units special authority to use the 77 grain Open Tip Match (MK262), which is not hollow point, even though it looks like a hollow point, due to the reverse drawn jacket.

Deeper isn't always better. There is a sweet spot range for penetration depth. The military adopted JHP due to over-penetration issues of FMJ and collateral damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back