$30K to spend, what’s the best option?

What's wrong with that?
I would, in general, prefer something with a locking storage area like a trunk. And AWD adds another level of mechanical complexity that might eventually need repair. But I might consider an SUV if it’s clearly a better option for other reasons.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with your Mazda? If nothing is wrong then I would keep driving that.
Nothing’s wrong with it, other than it’s a manual and my left knee is starting to go bad. My long-term plan is to nurse another year or so out of my rusty Scion, then buy a new car and demote the Mazda to the second car role. For the last couple of decades I’ve been buying a new car every 5-7 years and making the former new car become the old car.

Hyundai Sonata SEL or SEL Plus. You can pick one up for invoice these days. Tons of interior room and the NA 2.5 engine, no turbo.

IMG_0249.jpeg

i'd stick with I already have

the new cars are outrageously overpriced and loaded with the features that you don't need; that is to say, good luck owning a one beyond the manufacturing warranty

in this environment, it makes a financial sense if you care of course, to get a beater or fix what you have, but that just me :)

Use that $30K for example, and put it onto your mortgage or fund your idea for the business perhaps

Last edited:
Nothing’s wrong with it, other than it’s a manual and my left knee is starting to go bad. My long-term plan is to nurse another year or so out of my rusty Scion, then buy a new car and demote the Mazda to the second car role. For the last couple of decades I’ve been buying a new car every 5-7 years and making the former new car become the old car.

That is a good reason then. Go with the same brand or Toyota.

2024 Chevy Trax in Bang For the Buck category.
Toyota Camry 2.5, Corolla Cross or Honda Civic 2.0 for longevity.

View attachment 160280

You will find none of these vehicles on the dealers lots available for sale. You probably won't until next year. All the ones on the dealers website are listed as "In Transit" and at least some of those "In Transit" vehicles are already pre-sold, according to their websites as well. Presumably that means that people are buying these vehicles without even a test drive.

30K might get you a base Jeep Compass, and you might even be able to find one on a dealers lot.

I'd get something that doesn't have variable valve timing, multiple cylinder deactivation, or direct fuel injection to name a few.
I understand wanting simple engines but avoiding VVT is pretty much impossible at this point even then, they are not nearly as bad as they used to be (my parents 09 Taurus never had problems with the VVT when they gifted it with over 200k miles to my cousin's kids and it still is doing just fine). I will agree on avoid cylinder deactivation and direct injection (if it isn't paired with port injection) as there are plenty of cars left without those.

That is a good reason then. Go with the same brand or Toyota.
If Mazda were still importing the Mazda 6 it wouldn’t even be a question.

There’s at least one Toyota dealer near me that is selling Camrys at MSRP or very close, and they usually have 7-8 on the lot. I guess living fairly close to the factory where they assemble them helps a bit.

If Mazda were still importing the Mazda 6 it wouldn’t even be a question.

There’s at least one Toyota dealer near me that is selling Camrys at MSRP or very close, and they usually have 7-8 on the lot. I guess living fairly close to the factory where they assemble them helps a bit.

They might not be making the. At this time but check your local dealers. They might have a few in stock that they want to move.

Yet that warranty is still longer by far than the other makes out there.
Yet many would point to the “need” of that. A good car wouldn’t need it…

No doubt, for some, it would be the wise choice. If one drives 10k/yr, trade in at the 10yr mark. Lather rinse repeat. Would not work for me, not sure about the OP, but it isn’t a bad deal for some.

Back