$30K to spend, what’s the best option?

If you had $30K to spend on a new car what’s the smart buy? By “smart” I mean a reliable vehicle that will last a long time with no major repairs needed. Is a Camry still the best bet? EDIT: this is a long-term ownership car so resale value isn’t important to me.

No used cars for the sake of this discussion please.

Last edited:
I see your driving a 2016 Mazda 6 some reason you aren't looking at another Mazda?
They aren’t importing the 6 anymore and a 3 is a little small for me. Everything else they offer is an AWD SUV except for the Miata, and I'm too fat for one of those LOL.

Dodge Challenger with the Hell Cat engine option. $30,000.00 is a good down payment.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
Any car you buy under $30k will be worth $26k in 2 years with a full warranty and likely factory maintenance included. Buy what is the most comfortable, meets your needs and trade it in 2 years.

I would go for a used Lexus RX350. Do not buy a sedan, it's hard to sell them

Any car you buy under $30k will be worth $26k in 2 years with a full warranty and likely factory maintenance included. Buy what is the most comfortable, meets your needs and trade it in 2 years.
About a year-and-a-half ago I would have agreed. Residual values are on the way down, and as inventories rise (with interest rates), the bloated used car values will probably come back to earth by 2025. The insane resale values are absolutely unsustainable.

Then again, who knows? It's a bet I wouldn't personally take.

About a year-and-a-half ago I would have agreed. Residual values are on the way down, and as inventories rise (with interest rates), the bloated used car values will probably come back to earth by 2025. The insane resale values are absolutely unsustainable.

Then again, who knows? It's a bet I wouldn't personally take.

Disagree. 2-3 year old car prices have been high for well over a decade, I don't see them declining anytime soon.

Disagree. 2-3 year old car prices have been high for well over a decade, I don't see them declining anytime soon.
Might be market-based. My oldest has been selling Fords in the St. Louis area for several years now and was telling me how many of the "gotta-have-it" buyers from 2021 are really reeling from their newfound upside-down-ness. The lots are filling with new inventory and discounts and incentives are back. The used car market can't remain artificially high in the long run.

Agree on the last decade part, as "cash-for-clunkers" absolutely decimated the mid-tier used car market; however, the notion of 90% residual values after two years is pretty recent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe one of these?

oejoxh6jwhqs2dcpigcv.gif

Joking aside, I'd seriously consider a Mazda or Toyota. Skip Hyundai and KIA, they've become terrible when it comes to honoring warranty claims.

If you had $30K to spend on a new car what’s the smart buy? By “smart” I mean a reliable vehicle that will last a long time with no major repairs needed. Is a Camry still the best bet? EDIT: this is a long-term ownership car so resale value isn’t important to me.

No used cars for the sake of this discussion please.
$30k hard wall? Out the door or plus taxes/fees/etc? "new car" as in a real "car" or new "vehicle"? Any must have or must not have feature(s)?

I'm also too well padded for a Miata and old enough to also appreciate easy ingress/egress. So I'm an SUV guy and really like a 2 row size. Answers to the above questions will make it easier to give an answer tailored to your specific preferences and totally useless to you since only you can truly say what's the way to go. :) But it's a fun exercise.

Back