$30K to spend, what’s the best option?

I'd collect a few more aluminum cans and get a GR Corolla if you're insistent on buying new. If not, get a used C6 Corvette. Life's short... have fun!

I want to make sure that I understand your question better. Do you NOT want an SUV?
Because if you're a larger person, you may want the extra comfort of something that has that little bit larger interior over a sedan.
And $30K(NEW) these days is getting that little bit harder to slide in too.(not pun intended). ;)

If a sedan is a must then, a Camry LE may get you in the $30K area and it's roomy. I love Honda's but I have too many questions about the way Honda is packaging their models. There are too many..."why did/didn't they do that?" questions with me and Honda's lately. And the Accord is that way as well.

Last edited:
......... this is a long-term ownership car so resale value isn’t important to me.

No used cars for the sake of this discussion please.
Any car you buy under $30k will be worth $26k in 2 years with a full warranty and likely factory maintenance included. Buy what is the most comfortable, meets your needs and trade it in 2 years.

He wants it new, and for long term. He's not interested in trading it in every 15 minutes.

If you had $30K to spend on a new car what’s the smart buy? By “smart” I mean a reliable vehicle that will last a long time with no major repairs needed. Is a Camry still the best bet? EDIT: this is a long-term ownership car so resale value isn’t important to me.

No used cars for the sake of this discussion please.
Camry or a Accord if you want a sedan....The new 2023 Honda HRV if you want a small SUV...

I'd get a Camry SE. The LE does have 17" tires while the SE uses 18" if that matters to you.
There are slightly more choices in 18"s and the choice gap will grow in the future on the 18"s while the 17"s will decline somewhat.
The seats are upgraded in the SE.

Keep the Mazda6. Put $3,000ish into a full detail and paint correction, new tires, new shocks, and a new windshield.

I'd get a Camry SE. The LE does have 17" tires while the SE uses 18" if that matters to you.
There are slightly more choices in 18"s and the choice gap will grow in the future on the 18"s while the 17"s will decline somewhat.
The seats are upgraded in the SE.
I thought LE had 16”? ours has 16”, with a decent 65 aspect ratio.

Things are different on the 2023 models. Only the Camry LE Hybrid has 16"s on it. There are 18"s and 19" on other Camry Hybrid trims.

The LE comes standard with 17"s. EDIT, looked up tire info.

Last edited:
Things are different on the 2023 models. Only the Camry LE Hybrid has 16"s on it. There are 18"s and 19" on other Camry Hybrid trims.

The LE comes standard with 17"s.
Ah thanks. I recall the upscale Camry hybrids having stupid tire choices—I realize some might like the option, better handling looks whatever, but we wanted max mpg and resented the tire size change.

I saw a guy do a YouTube of a 2023 Civic Sport manual, and he gave his reasons why he got that car. Seemed to make sense. I've never owned a Honda so I'm not a fanboy by any stretch. Seemed the guy was reasonable in saying this car had a shot at going 200k+ with minimal service, unlike many of the new cars which would require a lot of maintenance and repair.

2024 Chevy Trax in Bang For the Buck category.
Toyota Camry 2.5, Corolla Cross or Honda Civic 2.0 for longevity.

1686316677445.png

Since the requirements are: New car, $30k max, long term ownership... as much as I hate to say it, it points to a Camry SE 2.5 FWD.

Mine would be in Supersonic red with grey (Ash) Softex interior, and the cold weather package. All for $30480, including delivery.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with your Mazda? If nothing is wrong the. I would keep driving that.
Yeah, get some nice tires for your Mazda6 if you need to make it feel new, and get it rust proofed so it will last?
Your Mazda may get you $10-14k, leaving you to come up with $16-20k. Any reason to think your Mazda won't go 15 more years? If its the NA one I think it would be as good as a Camry for no large repairs.
I'd be surprised if a new Camry or Accord drove significantly better than your current car? Or got better mileage?

Back