$30K to spend, what’s the best option?

You will find none of these vehicles on the dealers lots available for sale. You probably won't until next year. All the ones on the dealers website are listed as "In Transit" and at least some of those "In Transit" vehicles are already pre-sold, according to their websites as well. Presumably that means that people are buying these vehicles without even a test drive.

30K might get you a base Jeep Compass, and you might even be able to find one on a dealers lot.
You know what? You're absolutely correct. I wasn't thinking of (especially Toyota) inventory issues.

Subaru Impreza, base model with manual trans. Put the difference in a short terrm CD.
The new Impreza RS is a nice value and nice daily driver IMO. It's been getting good reviews across the board too.

I'd opt for a Carmy 2.5L or Civic 2.0L, followed by Impreza in that price range.

When it comes to economy cars and reliability, I always fall back to Japanese cars. They seem to always nail down reliable 4cylinder engines.

New Prius ( A.W.D. also ) , Corolla hybrid ( A.W.D also ) or Corolla Cross hybrid . Would likely buy base model or next step up to keep lower costs .

I hate to say this, but the real deals in cheap rides are found in small CUVs.
We had a TrailBlazer as a rental last summer and it offered great room for four adults plus enough space behind the second seat for the four adults luggage for a week's stay on the way from the airport to our hotel and then back. We put around 500 miles on the little dear and it got 35-36 mpg.
It would also leave you with a minimum of 5K in change from your stated 30K budget. As to how long it would last, that is an unknown with any car new or used. We buy, maintain, avoid abuse and hope for the best.
I only offer this as an example of something low-end that might well suit your needs.

I’m having a crazy thought here. A local dealer has a very basic Tacoma 2wd extra cab with a $1000 discount off MSRP, so less than $27k. Stick a nice fiberglass topper on the bed and bolt in a locking metal tool box and that just might be a thing.

The 2.7 is certainly a proven engine and it’s attached to a conventional six-speed AT. AMD (Car Care Nut) did a video on rebuilding one and said it was the first of those engines he had ever been inside.

Only downside is gas mileage…and maybe ride quality.

I’m having a crazy thought here. A local dealer has a very basic Tacoma 2wd extra cab with a $1000 discount off MSRP, so less than $27k. Stick a nice fiberglass topper on the bed and bolt in a locking metal tool box and that just might be a thing.

The 2.7 is certainly a proven engine and it’s attached to a conventional six-speed AT. AMD (Car Care Nut) did a video on rebuilding one and said it was the first of those engines he had ever been inside.

Make sure to drive first. Over the years I've read on the Taco forums, usually the V6 guys dis the I4 guys, and a number of the I4 guys sound like they'd do different the second time around. Outside of the Tacoma community, it seems most "hate" the driving position.

How high off the ground is the bed? I had a Tundra and it was a pain reaching over the sides--I'm guessing a Tacoma isn't like that, not as a 2WD (assuming not a Pre-runner). The topper was nice, kept things dry--but was a pain, as I had to crawl around if I wanted something close to the cab. Both good and bad. I think if I did another truck, one that I could reach over the bed, I might go tonno cover instead, but I still have an enclosed trailer (that I can walk into) so there's that--I found I preferred dealing with the trailer than dealing with the bed, unless if it was just a few sheets of plywood to be moved.

Make sure to drive first. Over the years I've read on the Taco forums, usually the V6 guys dis the I4 guys, and a number of the I4 guys sound like they'd do different the second time around. Outside of the Tacoma community, it seems most "hate" the driving position.

How high off the ground is the bed? I had a Tundra and it was a pain reaching over the sides--I'm guessing a Tacoma isn't like that, not as a 2WD (assuming not a Pre-runner). The topper was nice, kept things dry--but was a pain, as I had to crawl around if I wanted something close to the cab. Both good and bad. I think if I did another truck, one that I could reach over the bed, I might go tonno cover instead, but I still have an enclosed trailer (that I can walk into) so there's that--I found I preferred dealing with the trailer than dealing with the bed, unless if it was just a few sheets of plywood to be moved.
I owned a 2000 single cab (remember those?) and it was pretty low, but I suspect everything is taller these days because I think it might even have had 14” tires. My brother had a 2000 4x4 with the extended cab and I seem to recall the seats were fairly comfortable, but I never drove it all day. I’m not sure my 23 year-old memories mean much, however.

Hey that's worth a shot! I would go check it out see what you think. I have heard the same in regards to the seating position but I'm sure that is subjective

I owned a 2000 single cab (remember those?) and it was pretty low, but I suspect everything is taller these days because I think it might even have had 14” tires. My brother had a 2000 4x4 with the extended cab and I seem to recall the seats were fairly comfortable, but I never drove it all day. I’m not sure my 23 year-old memories mean much, however.
Things do change, models, memories and one's backside. So there's that. Might as well give a test drive, have little to lose. As much as I "need" 4 doors a RCSB truck sometimes sounds tempting... or a small extended cab short bed. I don't need a truck very often, but too often I miss having one.

Camry
Rav4
Accord
CR-V

I think a more aggressive maintenance program with any of the above 4 would help turn them in a 20 year+ ownership depending on miles driven yearly.

Don't worry. Only a few members actually read the original post.
I wa going to say these, or the domestic equivalents that meet op’s fancy.

I’d throw the forester, Outback, and equinox in there too.

Not a bad idea at all. Funnily enough the Tacoma's 2TR-FE, after 20 years in production and in its last year of availability before Toyota turbocharges the whole truck lineup, is not only a 500,000-mile engine but sounds magnitudes better on wind-out than the Camry's very modern A25A-FKS. I'm the type that favors a good NVH signature over power or fuel economy, though, so consider me biased.

If not a Toyota truck, then I'd recommend the Civic Hatchback Sport, as others have suggested above. Lots of interior space, hatchback versatility, handling befitting a genuine car rather than an SUV, a port-injected, naturally aspirated engine, good fuel economy (29/37), IIHS TSP (if that matters to you), and available all day long under $30K.

What's your plans for a vehicle? Just everyday average transportation? I'd hate driving a truck if I didn't need one. Poor visibility, uncomfortable, poor fuel economy, and putting things in the bed like groceries are a nightmare. I used to have a pickup and have driven a couple others. Loading groceries into the bed is hard on your back and when they fly all over the place I cuss myself out 🤬🤣.

Camry or Accord. I know you said no used, but a slightly used Avalon would probably be a nice car.

Back