2006/2007 Accord oil filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched various forums, but I have not found a clear consensus yet. What oil filter do most people recommend for the 2006/2007 (4cyl automatic) accord?

I plan on using regular Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and change at roughly 7,000 mile intervals. But, this is flexible.

Thanks.

I use fram Tough Guard.

Silicone ADBV, Screen-Over BPV, Glass Celulose, Heavy Can, Grippy Coating $6. Plus it's the bigger size than the oem.

How long does 7k take to accumulate? What's your annual mileage? If it's 6 months, then the 7k isn't too bad on the oil. That is, you can probably go longer ..but 6 months isn't "wasteful". In that service, I would have no problem using an expensive, upper tier, filter for TWO OCIs. If your annual mileage is below 10k, then I would probably not use an expensive filter, nor use M1 and, again, do 6 month oil changes with cheaper products.

Don't hear too many talk about the Mobil extended performance oil filters. Thought they are #2 in quality under Amsoil's filters. I think they are about 3-4 dollars more than a Pure One, etc. I was using Napa Gold's until I got tired of paying 10 plus tax at my local Napa.

Based on these replies, I am getting a sense that the recommended filter for the 2006/7 accord is pretty much an even split between pureone, wix, and mobil 1 EP. I haven't run this search, but are there any key differences that distinguishes these filters from each other?

dyoel182, how long can I go between oil changes with Mobil 1?

gary allan, my annual mileage is probably less than 10,000 miles. Do you suggest that I forgo mobil1 and go with conventional dino oil?

I want to thank you all for being so responsive. I feel like I am getting a lot of good information here.

When you get under 10k a year and aren't going to manage a one year OCI, then you're challenging the sensible economics of synthetics and upper tier filters. Now if you've got truly severe service that requires the added durability or utility of a synthetic under stress, then you've got nothing but plus side reasons to use them.

It's always a matter of "it depends". You're in a climate that ranges (probably) from mild to hot. I would tend to generically reject any cold start issues where a synthetic shines ..and outside of an extreme performance application, the difference (IMHO) between a synth and a dino is the aging process in regard to heat. Also due to your climate, you're not as compelled to do maintenance on an annual basis. Many 4 season climate types don't like to "carry over" OCIs into another year. The mileages tend to also fall in 3, 4, or 6 month intervals.

In your case, I'd probably do dino for 6 months and use something like a PureOne or other high end filter for the whole year. That should equate to a savings over a 7k/7m with a synth without any loss of benefit ...imo.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I am now thinking about using a PureOne filter and maybe dino oil or perhaps the supertech synthetic from walmart. Still deciding. But you all have given me much to think about. Thanks for all your help.

Originally Posted By: datamonkee
I have searched various forums, but I have not found a clear consensus yet. What oil filter do most people recommend for the 2006/2007 (4cyl automatic) accord?

I plan on using regular Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and change at roughly 7,000 mile intervals. But, this is flexible.

Thanks.

I've used the current stock Honda A02 (made by FRAM), Napa Gold and Super Tech oil filters for my 2006 Accord and I am about to use the FRAM Extended guard for my next OCI this weekend..

I am betting this last filter will be the best out there for the price and that can be had readily OTC..

here is the thread I just started on this subject..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1110615#Post1110615

Last edited:
Follow the OLM and change at 5-10%. I find this to be at 7-8k miles with my driving on my 07 Accord 2.4L. Use of a synthetic does not extend the drain interval with the OLM. Therefor a good dino juice such as MC (motorcraft) 5-20 Syn blend is my choice. Change filter every other OCI after the initial change. Don't spend big money on the filter, use a pure one, Filtec (suffix -001) factory filter(not the Honeywell filter with suffix -002). FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back