Oil filter shelf life

I found 2 Mopar oil filters I bought in March 2021 for my 21 Ram Rebel w/ Hemi.

They have been in my non heated garage but have been in a ziplock bag the whole time.

What’s the consensus on shelf life? Good to run or trash them?

Thanks!

Edit: Actually I was wrong. From the date code they are from June 2019, so I guess I bought these for my 2019 Ram I had at the time.

Last edited:
I rethought this myself.
I did a c&p on a K&N Silver here last week where the bypass was locked up from sticky old oil. In time it would be freed up by oil but just saying..Filter was nearing 10 years old.

My Fram PH2 EG. I cut yesterday here I wouldn't trust sitting for 10 years with the non metal end caps. It was about 4 years old.
However if it was an old Ultra I may go near 10 years...

My filters were stored indoors in a spare bedroom closet.
I think the materials used in the construction are the issue.

Now I will try to limit filters to 5 years. Fram EG-TG or non metal end caps buy when needed and use promptly Just me..l know, I know..

I wouldn't be too concerned and would use them. I've cut open filters here before where I bought them "new" at the store only to have a member on here decode the date and have it be over 2 years old.

I found 2 Mopar oil filters I bought in March 2021 for my 21 Ram Rebel w/ Hemi.

They have been in my non heated garage but have been in a ziplock bag the whole time.

What’s the consensus on shelf life? Good to run or trash them?

Thanks!

Edit: Actually I was wrong. From the date code they are from June 2019, so I guess I bought these for my 2019 Ram I had at the time.
You can use them ten years from now if properly stored. I never had a problem using old filters from my time capsule.

Some oil filter companies say 5 years. You're right at that time period. Rust is an enemy & @Zee09 brings up an excellent point and that is how well the bypass functions. So, consensus from my point of view would be 5 years for fully functional filter but after that things start to degrade. I'd encourage you to go inspect that post to understand what was going on but it was a lot older than yours. Wrapped in ziplock bag will help with rust but the cold of OH could affect some plastic parts if yours has any. I'd start running them now if I were in your position. If there's one extra you could sacrifice to see it's condition that could tell a tale or two.

It’s really a good question, particularly for the cheaper filters (i.e. marketed as 5000 mile OCI), that are typically cellulose based filter media and strictly nitrile ADBV. I have been quite surprised at how brittle the used media on some cheaper filters are. Likewise with unused filters (cartridge type filters). Some feel brittle even when new. Having seen a few tears over the years, makes me wonder if there’s some degradation in the cellulose fiber based media vs. time/aging.

In my limited experience, synthetic and synthetic blend media seem to be less brittle.

Last edited:
I still have the metallic glitter blue Purolator PureOne filters (Honda / Mazda) from like 12 years ago.

Kept inside the house with low humidity Im not worried if oil filters were 20 years old.

Last edited:
Wrapped in ziplock bag will help with rust but the cold of OH could affect some plastic parts if yours has any.
Filters get a lot colder mounted on engines sitting over night in the middle of winter time in northern US and Canada. Cold is not a concern, except if it causes condensation on the filter when in storage. Rust is the biggest concern with filters sitting in a garage for years. Storing them inside (and sealed of course) helps because there are smaller temperature and humidity swings inside vs outside the house.

Last edited:
I still have the metallic glitter blue Purolator PureOne filters (Honda / Mazda) from like 12 years ago.

Kept inside the house with low humidity Im not worried if oil filters were 20 years old.
I did run a OEM cartridge filter that was 10 years old last ODI but I had no rust or bypass to worry about. No way would I run a 20 yr old screw-on canister filter w/bypass though. Do the 12 year old Purolator's still look ok?

Last edited:
A bypass valve can't be that stuck if it's not rusted. First time the bypass pressure it achieved it will open. Lots of filters don't use a metal-to-metal bypass valve design, but some do.

I did run a OEM cartridge filter that was 10 years old last ODI but I had no rust or bypass to worry about. No way would I run a 20 yr old screw-on canister filter w/bypass though. Do the 12 year old Purolator's still look ok?

Yes, they look perfect.

I even have a red painted Purolator that was sold as AAP brand filter, I don’t know if people remember these filters with slip resistant paint.

Yes, they look perfect.

I even have a red painted Purolator that was sold as AAP brand filter, I don’t know if people remember these filters with slip resistant paint.
Interesting, I don't quite remember those either but Purolator had some that were yellow/gold color at one point.

Interesting, I don't quite remember those either but Purolator had some that were yellow/gold color at one point.
Yup, I ran those for years. All I used on my three Jeep XJs with the 4.0 were the Purolator Ones and white Purolator Classics until the tearing issues started. Even used a Motorcraft here and there.

The yellow / gold filters are PureOne filters that were made after the glitter blue PureOne filters.

I actually have a yellow / gold PureOne filter that I will use soon.

Back