1995 Honda Accord 4cyl - to change fluids or not?

My mother has had this car since like, 2000 I want to say? When we got it from a family friend who got it new.

About 5 years ago, it got a timing belt kit done by a shop as it was above my comfort level. Tires were replaced at that point too with some generic chinese ones. They need air added to them monthly but otherwise plenty of life left.

Otherwise, for about the past 5 years, I have been handling maintenance and repairs on it. I did send her to a shop for a CV axle as I didn't want to deal with that but I've done all other stuff. Basic tune up, valve cover gasket, replaced the ABS unit with a junkyard one (no new/reman available, sad as these have a high failure rate and who knows how much longer the junkyard one will last), vehicle speed sensor speed sensor, air intake hose, etc.

AC doesn't work, it's been dead for years, but she doesn't care. There is a minor power steering leak somewhere but we have to top it up once every couple years so we ignore it. If I do decide to change the PSF I'd probably attempt to fix the leak while I'm at it because I don't like to leave things not perfect.

I've done oil changes about every 2 years because she only drives a couple thousand miles a year. She barely drives it as she usually walks or bikes to work or other places, even if it's raining!

My question is if I should go through and change all the fluids - coolant, power steering, ATF? I'm not worried about brake fluid as I did that when I did the ABS unit. Would it make sense long term? Or should I just leave it alone - am I risking messing something up? The vehicle seems to be in OK condition, although it burns a bit of oil. She has to top it up every 6 months or so. Every time I drive it I'm impressed how well it drives, honestly, I always drive her car gently compared to how I drive my stuff but this thing handles and rides GREAT! I will say it's a total stinker when cold, I don't know how long the cats have left to live, although it does pass smog every time.

At the minimum change the coolant... if the heater core springs a leak, it's a big nasty job. Just do a drain and fill with Asian type coolant to renew the anti-corrosion additives.

I would also do the transmission. Get an evacuator pump if you don't have one and do a pump and dump change. It takes plain old Dexron III.

At the minimum change the coolant... if the heater core springs a leak, it's a big nasty job. Just do a drain and fill with Asian type coolant to renew the anti-corrosion additives.

I would also do the transmission. Get an evacuator pump if you don't have one and do a pump and dump change. It takes plain old Dexron III.

This and get the moisture out of the brakes periodically. You don’t have to invest heavily in that. Just siphon out the reservoir and refill. This will lower moisture content as it slowly mixes with the rest of the system. Just like draining/filling ATF or PS system. It just mixes a little more slowly than those systems. I do the rerservoirs on all our vehicles once each year and it keeps the brakes healthy - and I live in a very wet climate much of the year.

We had a couple of these Gen 5 Accords and they are very good machines that drive nicely and the automatic in these holds up well. One was a five speed and the other a slushbox. I paid to have the timing belt done as well as the clutch in the stick. I had a real tech who did side work do both of these things for pretty low labor dollars.
I'd do all of the above. Drain and fill the automatic 2-3X. Maxlife ATF is fine for these. A drain and fill is around three quarts IIRC and is easy to do. Loosen the fill plug first to ensure that you can get it out.
The axles are an easy change as well and the AC held up well in ours. May just need some gas added.

Fortunately, most responders are suggesting changing every fluid. That is what I would suggest, too. I would order everything needed from Amazon and set aside an afternoon or more to work through it. While you are there, you will get a sense of what else should be done (brakes, etc.)

Those tires should be changed, too, to a brand name, non-PRC product. The car should be washed and interior scrubbed.

There is an art to keeping older cars safe and operational, and "letting sleeping dogs lie" ain't it.

Might not be a power steering leak if it takes years to need added to. Hondas seem to evaporate it out that weak red cap.

Definitely change the fluids. My 95 Accord went close to 400k on the original transmission. It liked Valvoline Maxlife.

Change it, change it, change it. When I changed all fluids in 1995 Honda Odyssey (drivetrain & powertrain is same as Accord, as well as most of front suspension and steering) it responded nicely with increased smoothness in operation. That was at 190-195K mile mark.

well, did OP do anything or toss it?
We're going to do a complete service in the summer. I'm going to try to hunt down the power steering leak as well, since it gets on the belt and makes an awful squeal every time you start the car.

I'll also need to check when the timing belt was replaced, it's definitely not due on mileage but it might be due on years by now :(

Mom did check out my Bolt and I let her drive it. She loved it and will probably get one in a few years. But for now the old Honda must prevail!

Last edited:
We're going to do a complete service in the summer. I'm going to try to hunt down the power steering leak as well, since it gets on the belt and makes an awful squeal every time you start the car.

I'll also need to check when the timing belt was replaced, it's definitely not due on mileage but it might be due on years by now :(

Mom did check out my Bolt and I let her drive it. She loved it and will probably get one in a few years. But for now the old Honda must prevail!

Don't sweat the timing belt job, pretty easy to do. Don't buy the Gates brand they are garbage. Water pump is also done at this time as well, I used the Aisin kit on mine which included the WP.

Back