2012 Honda Fit Sport is acting up

The positive terminal clam in this video is about 1/2 the size of my terminal clam. Not sure what is underneath all the red box but it is a giant clam on mine; my 2002 V6 Accord clamp is 1/4 the size.

Also, different model years and countries of origin have different engine bay battery setup. The Jazz in Asia and Europe is spec’ed for 51R and their battery cables are also routed slightly differently. The earlier US-market Fit was a simple battery drop in job with no mod similar to the gentleman in the video. But Honda USA decided to re-route the positive battery cable, add an industrial strength battery tray with multiple hinges and nearly impossible to remove.

I am slowly beginning to think car makers don’t like DIY folks.

This is what most people do. Replace the 151R power wheels toy battery with a real battery.

51R is easy enough like you've done, but even better if you can fit a 35 in there.
Now you’re talking dirty to me. Not sure if that is possible without relocating other components because the 51R is very tight fit.

I do want to add a second battery inside the car though. It is unclear if I would do it because adding a second battery anywhere beside under the dash in front passenger foot area would eliminate the Fit from becoming a midget conversion van as you can’t drop the rear seats and throw air mattress there. Therefore, I opted for a Gooloo GP4000 lithium jump pack in addition to a giant Caterpillar utility box that has battery jumper, air compressor, inverter, led light, and several USB-C connector. Swapping the Barbie car battery for a 51R completes it as I can recharge my Caterpillar utility box twice a month using a separate inverter while driving.

The Caterpillar utility box, used to be sold at Costco is awesome. The two drawbacks are it’s led light is just barely enough for the engine bay if jumpstarting at night instead of a full-on flashing/SOS light for emergency and there is no USB-C connection. The Gooloo GP4000 is good but I wish it’s recharging mechanism is more than a single USB-C since breaking that Would mean a dead GP4000; therefore, I keep inside at night and take it to whichever vehicle I am driving. The Catepillar is recharge using the household cable similar to PC cable so those last over 100 years unlike the flimsy USB-C or needle-in-a-hole laptop charger

Last edited:
A few days ago, my wife said the car made beeping sound while she was driving back home. I drove it for about 100 miles the next day and didn’t hear anything. But it rained some today and high humidity and I noticed the following while driving home:

1) Headlights flickered a few times.
2) Dash showed the steering and airbag lights. They went out on their own and came back on a few times in the period of 10 mins. It was almost like when the car was accessory mode but I was driving.
3) Power steering (drive by wire so all electronic) got stiff a bit whenever the power steering light came on.

What I think is the problem:
1) Battery is on last leg. This battery is at least 7 years old. It is a 151R so it is very little with barely any capacity.

What I plan to do:
I need to take it to AuroZone and AAP to have code check. The last time I went to AAP, the kid didn’t want to run diagnostic check because there was no check engine light on. It was late and I didn’t want to talk to someone who obviously is a low-skill hire.

What do you think? I gave away my OBII scanner a few years back when we moved. Probably need to buy another one. Any recommendations?

Thank you for bailing me out again.
Chheck battery first. If u don’t have your own the chain auto parts stores will test it 4 u

Back