Forgot to fill oil filter all the way, tapping noise...bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to fill the oil filter all the way when I was filling up my Vortec 5300. I guess i used maybe at most 1/4 of the new Mobil 1 container according to the side meter. Im VERY impatient and I know it overflowed when i started pouring it in, but i forgot it seeps into all the pleats.

When i started the engine the red OIL light and dinging LOW OIL PRESSURE / STOP ENGINE on the message bar thing was flashing for like 4 seconds. The pressure bar registered absolute 0 and it was like taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap then went away and full pressure came on.

Forget it.
It'll be just fine.
wink.gif

Don't worry about it. Not prefilling the oil filter isn't the end of the world. There are plenty of people on this site that don't prefill (including myself) and have never had any problems.

Hey, I'll pay you $200 for it!
grin.gif

Really, don't worry. The fact is that virtually *none* of the quickie lubes, repair shops, or even dealerships pre-fill oil filters when doing an oil change. It saves them time, & time is King.
wink.gif

But like you, I *hate* hearing all that valve racket. I bet that next time you change your oil, you'll remember to slow down & fill it all the way.
cheers.gif

On the 4.3L GMs with the remote mounted filter, you can't pre-fill the filter! On many cars you can't. EVERY time I change the oil on my Dad's Blazer it takes upwards of 5 seconds for there to even register 1 lb of pressure and maybe 2 seconds after that it's going up to 40-50 lbs/normal idle pressure. This truck now has 190K and runs like a champ. Heck, on my moms car where the filter is mounted vertical/open side up, I never pre-fill it cause I always end up spilling! Go crack a cool one and relax cause there ain't no problem.
cheers.gif
By the way, I got $250 on it
grin.gif

I'll give you $400 for it before your now ruined engine seizes in the middle of the road 50' from your driveway...
wink.gif

Seriously, what the others have said^^^...you didn't hurt anything...unless you get that terrible racket EVERY time you start the car from now on...
tongue.gif

Only filters I pre charge commercially are the large ones found on diesel pickups. There are entirely too many vehicles where mounting location makes charging filter impractical. Most of you would not believe how many engines KNOCK when first started!

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
On the 4.3L GMs with the remote mounted filter, you can't pre-fill the filter! On many cars you can't. EVERY time I change the oil on my Dad's Blazer it takes upwards of 5 seconds for there to even register 1 lb of pressure and maybe 2 seconds after that it's going up to 40-50 lbs/normal idle pressure. This truck now has 190K and runs like a champ. Heck, on my moms car where the filter is mounted vertical/open side up, I never pre-fill it cause I always end up spilling! Go crack a cool one and relax cause there ain't no problem.
cheers.gif
By the way, I got $250 on it
grin.gif

So true.

Just changed the oil on a 03 corolla and I didn't refill it and it was fine.

Prefilling isn't really necessary.

Undoubtedly your stupid, idiotic mistake took at least 400,000 miles off that engine's life. Post your address - I'll mail a check for $150.00 to take that now worthless piece of junk off your hands. I know, I know, I'm entirely too kind - it's what I do.

Many cars including honda accords had their oil filter mounted horizontally as there was no way to prefill it. So i dont think it's a biggie. Prefilling the oil filter in my very broad unscientific opinion will only make the car (engine) last .001% longer
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I'll pre-fill a new oil filter and cover with cellophane and rubber band hours before an oil change. This will permit the filter time to saturate to a proper level, and then ultimately top with more oil prior to installation.

Does it make a difference if the filter is removed and replaced before the oil pan is drained?

Bowser

When I do that on my Blazer, I lose oil pressure for about two seconds as the filter is refilled.

My filter is remote mounted behind the front bumper and is horizontally mounted.

That's how 99.9% of the filters on cars and light trucks are changed. No harm done.

Time the light next time, my 4.3 L V6 Vortec gets oil pressure in about 2 seconds.

You probably just thought it took 4 seconds because your life was flashing before you eyes.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back