Home

dealer short me half quart

Posted By: MetalSlug

dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 04:54 PM

well dealer short me after quart of 5w30 full synthetic, I dont have any full synthetic on hand at the moment, I do have some quaker state high miles synthetic blend 5w30, can I just add half quart and be done with it ? I dont feel like going back dealer for just half quart of oil and waiting room....

the dipstick show half full mark, usually it show full mark after oil change,
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 05:00 PM

Sounds like another reason to avoid stealership oil changes! I would just top off with the QS HM and not sorry.
Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 05:02 PM

Your QS blend should be just fine for a topoff!
You are actually fine if you are between the marks, you could safely wait and see if you have any consumption and top off with a full synth later if that makes you feel better. You should only really need to add if you are below the second mark...although I do admit I like to keep our vehicles at full.
Posted By: Dave9

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 05:06 PM

I did not realize they don't sell oil in TX.

You learn something new every day. grin2

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 05:11 PM

Thank guys.
Posted By: supton

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 05:50 PM

I'd keep an eye on it, and add a quart when it gets a full quart low.
Posted By: CPB

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 06:01 PM

Most oil change facilities seem to overfill. One of the many reasons DIY! I would rather they underfill than overfill. I would top off and be done with it.
Posted By: ka9mnx

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 06:02 PM

Take it back to the dealer and have them top it off!
Posted By: nthach

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by CPB
Most oil change facilities seem to overfill. One of the many reasons DIY! I would rather they underfill than overfill. I would top off and be done with it.

It's also easier to bill out by the quart in the DMS(Reynolds or ADP) than by a fraction as well. The parts or service manager isn't going to ask their lubes supplier to deliver less than a even number of bulk oil or cases.

Oil is usually dispensed from a system of pumps and a gun/nozzle assembly does have a meter in it.
Posted By: Corollaman

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
well dealer short me after quart of 5w30 full synthetic, I dont have any full synthetic on hand at the moment, I do have some quaker state high miles synthetic blend 5w30, can I just add half quart and be done with it ? I dont feel like going back dealer for just half quart of oil and waiting room....

If it's in the safe range on the dipstick I'd prefer that than over filling the sump. Too many times people put in to much oil.
Posted By: kstanf150

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Sounds like another reason to avoid stealership oil changes! I would just top off with the QS HM and not sorry.

A years worth of half quart shortages sounds like money money money 💵💵💵 to me
Posted By: DoubleNickels

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 07:00 PM

Depending on the shop, and who is in charge, you should be able to call ahead. No reason why you can't pull up, they add half a quart, and you drive off.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 07:04 PM

Right between the "full" and "add" lines seems like where the oil should be.
Posted By: geeman789

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 07:13 PM

Maybe the vehicle specs say 5 quarts, and when 5 quarts are put in, it comes up to the middle of the dipstick ...

My Honda is like that. Put in EXACTLY what the manual says, and the oil comes up well below the FULL mark on the dipstick.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 07:20 PM

A lot of the new cars have engine pans spec for metric liters. 5 liters of oil might show up in your owners manual as 5.3 quart, maybe 5.5 quarts, or something else close to 5 liter. Oil change guy throws in 5 quarts, checks to make sure that dipstick shows oil in proper range, then calls it done. On most cars , the dipstick range can vary by a quart or more. It's acceptable.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 07:49 PM

sure they didnt leave the filter or oil-plug loose and you LOST a half-quart on drive home ?? shocked
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Take it back to the dealer and have them top it off!

Nope. Then he'll be dealing with an overfill by dealer, because for some dealers it's impossible not to mess up the service fill level on an oil change. Reports of dealer over fills and under fills seem common.

I vote for top it off with the Quaker State he has on hand at home.
Posted By: hallstevenson

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:07 PM

So what you're saying is, it's got a perfectly acceptable amount of oil in it ?
Posted By: dubber09

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:11 PM

I don't get why people take their cars to dealer for maintenance; warranty work - yes, otherwise - NO.
Posted By: 1978elcamino

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:11 PM

Shop floors at Dealers are poured at a 5% slope. This ensures a 1/2 qt short pour on each oil change, the return is huge after ten years of oil changes.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:16 PM

How do they know in advance which way the cars are pointing on the floor?
Posted By: ka9mnx

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

So what you're saying is, it's got a perfectly acceptable amount of oil in it ?

Exactly! When I do my own oil changes if it's between half and full that's good enough. In my younger years I used to worry about these things...
Posted By: Randy_R

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 09:37 PM

At least it not overfilled. What kinda of car/engine? My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts. First oil change I take to dealer he overfills. Next change I do myself I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low. Other Mazda owners experience the same. As long as between the marks don’t freak out.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Randy_R
My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts.

I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low.

I would just use the 5 quart jug. You want to save 0.2 quart of oil for a rainy day?

One of the dumbest things I read online was a guy who used a Dremel tool to add more marks to his dipstick. Made him feel better about overfilled engine. Guy figured that since motor burns 1 quart between oil change, he could start with 1 quart extra.
Posted By: GaryPoe

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 10:24 PM

My work truck had me going 2018 f350 6.2L, i checked the oil and it was way low. Called the bossman and let him know he told me to take it back to the dealer. Checked again about 20 minutes later and it was in middle of the add/full mark. Got to reading and they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking..... so, have i been doing this wrong this whole time? Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
My work truck had me going 2018 f350 6.2L, i checked the oil and it was way low. Called the bossman and let him know he told me to take it back to the dealer. Checked again about 20 minutes later and it was in middle of the add/full mark. Got to reading and they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking..... so, have i been doing this wrong this whole time? Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.
It's better to get it hot, & then let it sit 15-20 minutes-the Transit in my sig is the same way, it'll read low otherwise.
Posted By: OnTheRocks

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 11:22 PM

they are saying to let sit at least 15 minutes before checking.....

Seems expensive just to poke around for 15 minutes waiting to check the oil.

Oil needs time to settle back down to the pan. I check mine in the morning, after it has had all night to settle.

The old scam at the service station was to check your oil. You just turned off the engine. Oil has not settled. Dipstick will always show a little low. Then they get you with the quart of overpriced oil.
Posted By: andrewp1998

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/22/19 11:55 PM

go back to the dealer . call and tell off the manager too!!!

scums
Posted By: JunkdrawerDog

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 12:01 AM

I'd top it off myself and call it a day. If you go back to the dealer they'll have the lube tech walk out to your car with a quart, dump the whole thing in then you'll be a half quart overfilled. Don't tempt fate.
Posted By: hallstevenson

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
A lot of the new cars have engine pans spec for metric liters.

I'd venture to say that all production made vehicles today are designed in metric units, including 'murican trucks. When it comes to fluid capacity, rounding up or down to familiar values won't do one bit of harm. Oil and ATF dipsticks don't have single marks on them, they have ranges that are acceptable. Power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant overflow reservoirs have MIN and MAX lines.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks

Oil needs time to settle back down to the pan. I check mine in the morning, after it has had all night to settle.

The old scam at the service station was to check your oil. You just turned off the engine. Oil has not settled. Dipstick will always show a little low. Then they get you with the quart of overpriced oil.

Common sense 🤔 Right ?
That’s hard to find sometime !!👍
Posted By: CKN

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

That^^^^OR this is the obligatory "Dealer thread bash of the week". It gets tiring after a while.......
Posted By: Randy_R

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 01:20 AM

My 2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5 takes 4.5 liters/4.8 qts.

I measure 4.5 liters. Stick reads little over 1/2 qt. low.

I would just use the 5 quart jug. You want to save 0.2 quart of oil for a rainy day?

One of the dumbest things I read online was a guy who used a Dremel tool to add more marks to his dipstick. Made him feel better about overfilled engine. Guy figured that since motor burns 1 quart between oil change, he could start with 1 quart extra.

I did use the rest of the 5 qt. jug and it still not to the max line. Makes me wonder how much the dealer poured in. That was the only OC I didn’t do myself in 30-35 years. I didn’t know where to place the floor jack. I bought ramps.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by CKN

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

That^^^^OR this is the obligatory "Dealer thread bash of the week". It gets tiring after a while.......

Sir
I totally agree with you
Gets very tiring.
Posted By: Jesse_NE

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 02:42 AM

As long as the dealership didn't charge you for engine oil they didn't put in, if the level is in the operating range, just drive the car.
Posted By: dave1251

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 03:08 AM

Just keep it topped off with spec'd oil and your engine will be fine.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 07:33 AM

I change my own oil every other vehicles . Just my titan l. They gave me a deal on oil change when I bought the truck .

I top the oil this morning . Seen all good . Next time I will check the oil while I’m still at dealer

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CKN

Bashing corner gas stations with attendants who check your oil, tell you it's low, and sell you an extra quart. Actually, it's the garage by my house. I know the owner. He still hires high school kids to pump gas, clean windshields, and check oil. You don't get out of your car. He teaches all of those kids the same scam. Check the oil, tell the customer it's low, sell them a quart, and give them a coupon to come back for an oil change.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 08:36 AM

I did use the rest of the 5 qt. jug and it still not to the max line

The oil does not have to go to the max line. Anywhere between MIN & MAX are fine. Better to be closer to the top. 5 quarts is adequate for your 2.5L engine. Dipsticks may vary.

I didn’t know where to place the floor jack.

With unibody cars, you should be able to raise the vehicle along the pinch weld. Your owners manual shows you the designated lift points. If you have to change a tire, those ramps are worthless. Get whatever jack you already own, and check to see if you can fit the jack under the height of the car, and if the jack will lift high enough to get the tire off the ground. I found out that a 2 ton bottle jack (which I really like) fully extended, does not raise one of cars up high enough to lift the tire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How To Jack Mazda CX5https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2014_Mazda_CX-5_Touring_2.5L_4_Cyl./jack_up_car/use_your_jack_to_raise_your_car

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 08:44 AM

Common sense 🤔 Right ?

I don't know. What I thought was common knowledge, really isn't common. I thought that anybody who is savvy enough to read and post on a motor oil forum, would know how to check oil. I thought that most people knew to jack a car along the frame rails, unibody pinch weld, where some cars actually have a marking for your jack point, or refer to the owners manual. .

We shouldn't ridicule anybody who doesn't know what we perceive to be obvious. No such thing as "common" sense or knowledge. If someone doesn't know, and they ask; we just try to help them.
Posted By: Railrust

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 08:59 AM

When I get my oil changed at the dealer, I immediately drain two quarts out, then go back in and get myself two fresh quarts...it's the little things.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Railrust
When I get my oil changed at the dealer, I immediately drain two quarts out, then go back in and get myself two fresh quarts...it's the little things.

And why two quarts ? What’s the reason ?
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:03 AM

You'll be fine. I would notify the dealer, and if possible do my own oil changes.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:48 AM

You just won't have any of this heart burn if you DIY and you should be able to do it for half and use a better filter and oil.
Posted By: Dallas69

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 12:28 PM

I change my own oil every other vehicles . Just my titan l. They gave me a deal on oil change when I bought the truck .

I top the oil this morning . Seen all good . Next time I will check the oil while I’m still at dealer

They didn't give you a deal on oil changes.
You paid somehow .
Just keep it between the marks on dipstick and worry about some other major problem.
Posted By: Patman

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 12:53 PM

Wait, what? shrug
Posted By: DGXR

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 06:27 PM

He's draining 2 quarts from the pan to use for something else and then going back in for a 2-quart "top off" LOL.
2 quarts specifically because most street vehicle engines will run fine with 2 quarts missing, for a few minutes.
Good to see people have sense of humor around here.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Patman

Wait, what? shrug

Wow..........shrug
Posted By: JoelB

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 06:34 PM

Since when is the dealer required to fill to the full mark on the dipstick? They seem to have done exactly what they were supposed to do.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 07:56 PM

Common sense 🤔 Right ? !!👍
Posted By: Garak

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoelB
Since when is the dealer required to fill to the full mark on the dipstick? They seem to have done exactly what they were supposed to do.

I believe his concern is that after previous oil changes, it was always a the full mark. So, he has observed a marked departure and is questioning it. When I change oil, I don't expect it necessarily to be at full or at any specific point, but I do expect it to be at the same place each time when I change the oil with the same quantity of oil and same filter.

Between add and full is perfectly acceptable. When previous oil changes lead to it being at a different level, it's just something some of us notice and dislike.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:22 PM

My owners manual says 5.4 quarts fill, 5.7 quarts with filter.

As if I would drive without a filter! Just kidding. I know what they mean.

The dipstick has 2 holes. On 1 side of the dipstick, there is a checkered marking from the bottom hole, to just past 1/2-way to the top hole. When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........just kidding! You can obsess over it for hours, and your car will still run the same.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:37 PM

Common sense 🤔 Right ? !!👍

Man I’m just waiting for railrust to explain this one😳
This one has got me Puzzled

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/23/19 11:59 PM

He printed his own coupon. 2 free quarts with every oil change.
Posted By: Jesse_NE

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 12:11 AM

The dipstick has 2 holes. On 1 side of the dipstick, there is a checkered marking from the bottom hole, to just past 1/2-way to the top hole. When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........just kidding! You can obsess over it for hours, and your car will still run the same.

Some of the people around here would have a heart attack if they had to service some of the stationary irrigation motors I deal with. The dipstick tube is welded shut, and you just have a oily, stained sight gauge threaded into the oil pan to judge oil level on.
Posted By: Ponchinizo

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 12:13 AM

When I install 5 quarts, oil level is perfectly at the top of the checkered marking. Now the OCD kicks in. With a urine specimen cup I stole from the Doctor's office, I carefully measure in 0.1 quart at a time, allow 20 minutes for that to settle, check the dipstick again..........

LOL LOL LOL
Posted By: UncleDave

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 12:26 AM

Time spent getting to, from, and waiting at the dealer for 2 quarts of "mystery barrel oil" makes low level theft like that a negative value.

UD
Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 01:30 AM

Thou Shall Not Steal.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 01:32 AM

♻️ Gamer.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 01:45 AM

[quote=PimTac][quote=Railrust]When I get my oil changed at the dealer, I immediately drain two quarts out, then go back in and get myself two fresh quarts...it's the little things

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 02:07 AM

You should replace the new filter with an old filter, go back to the dealership, and accuse them of not changing the filter.

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 03:15 AM

PimTac

That’s pretty [censored] strange relay when I didn’t do anything to post a reply
Must of been an align ghost reply !!!!

Re: dealer short me half quart - 05/24/19 06:48 AM

Are we done with this topic yet? Or is there 1 more post before Fonzie jumps the shark?
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy