Dodge Charger 3.5L V-6 oil recommendation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I have a 99 Intrepid with a 3.2L and it specifies 10W-30. I understand that there were engine problems using 5W-30, so Chrysler specifies 10W-30.

That really doesn't make any sense that an engine would have problems with 5w30 compared to 10w30 though. The difference in viscosity between those two under most normal temperatures is usually very close.

"I've personally seen a 99 300M with right at 400,000 miles on it that was still being used as a daily driver."

Good Heavens! Please find out what oil they used!!! This is very encouraging. My 3.5L in a Pacifica is one of the smoothest engines I've ever owned. All the related change items (drain plug, filter, dipstick, oil pour, etc.) are easy-access.

Quote:

Quote:

It still has the hemisperical head, just a little flatter.

A "flatter" hemisphere isn't a hemisphere. It can be called hemi-like or hemi-shapped, but it ain't a hemisphere.

Quote:

Besides, we are not talking about the combustion chamber, we are talking about the oil to use in a3.5L so if you don't want to talk about the oil that goes in it, just don't reply.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I did post about the oil. Based on my experience with 5w20 in my 3.5, if you want to use 5w20 I think it will serve you well. Your engine will thank you--especially on cold mornings.
thumbsup.gif

No worries, I wasn't directing that towards you, just the person trying to stir up #@$%!.
cheers.gif

I currently have a 300 Touring with the 3.5L V-6. This follows a T&C with the 3.8L pushrod V-6. In answer to someone much further up on this post, the 3.5L V-6 while it would have been a better choice, was never used in the T&C probably because it's a much more expensive engine to manufacture.

This engine coupled with the Mercedes 5-speed transmission and drive train makes for an exceptional road car. I've also been curious why 10-30 is still specified for this engine in 2007. Logic says that its either because it was the initial specification (and engineering never took another look at it) or a requirement of the OHC valve assembly. One oddity is that this is the smoothest idling engine I've ever had after owning a number of V-8s and V-6s.

"That really doesn't make any sense that an engine would have problems with 5w30 compared to 10w30 though."

Just speculation - Chrysler engineers had lingering 2.7L engine "sludge nightmares," and thought the 10W-30 would not burn up or thicken as quickly. Doesn't make sense nowadays, probably never did.

Yip, seeing that they are bother 30 weights at operating temperture, some one saying that you shouldn't use 5w30 just doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Quote:

I have a 99 Intrepid with a 3.2L and it specifies 10W-30. I understand that there were engine problems using 5W-30, so Chrysler specifies 10W-30.

Whoever told you that was mistaken. The 2.7 and the 3.2/3.5 were introduced at the same time (late 98). The 5w30 was spec'd from the start in the 2.7, and 10w30 was spec'd from the start in the 3.2/3.5. And while the 2.7 has had various "issues," the 3.2/3.5 has proven to be a bulletproof design with Lexus-like levels of NVH.

Quote:

3000 mile oil change is over and not needed especially in the south.

Yep, the 3k oil change is old school! My new favorite "oil saying" is that 5k is the new 3k. Engines and oils have changed so much in the last twenty years that there is no reason to hang onto the 3000 mile rule anymore. Heck, even 5k on conventional oil isn't always pushing it too far, we've seen plenty of evidence in the UOAs that you can go 6 or 7k in a lot of cases.

Quote:

Quote:

3000 mile oil change is over and not needed especially in the south.

Yep, the 3k oil change is old school! My new favorite "oil saying" is that 5k is the new 3k. Engines and oils have changed so much in the last twenty years that there is no reason to hang onto the 3000 mile rule anymore. Heck, even 5k on conventional oil isn't always pushing it too far, we've seen plenty of evidence in the UOAs that you can go 6 or 7k in a lot of cases.

AMEN!
canada.gif

If you read AstroVic's original post...

QUOTE:
"3. This is my wife's car. I plan on following the 3,000 mile OCI recommended by the manual......."

That's why I suggested a quality oil that happens to be cheap, thus perfect for his 3k OCI.

Quote:

If you read AstroVic's original post...

QUOTE:
"3. This is my wife's car. I plan on following the 3,000 mile OCI recommended by the manual......."

That's why I suggested a quality oil that happens to be cheap, thus perfect for his 3k OCI.

3000mile OCI interval is peddled by every manufacturer, the owner has to be the smart one to realise that you don't have to follow it.

Well, I've decided what I'm going to do with this car. Thanks for all of the comments, advice, and input. Here's the plan:

Castrol Syntec Blend 10W30 (6 quarts)
Wix oil filters
5,000 mile OCIs (or 6 months)

Since the manual allows OCIs up to 6,000 miles in ideal conditions, and since we will generally be pretty close to ideal conditions (aside from fairly regular amounts of short trips), and since the Castrol Syntec Blend and Wix filters should be more than enough overkill for 5,000 miles.....this is what I'm going with.

This is also the same strategy I'm going to follow with my 2006 Chevy Impala LT, except instead of 10W30 I'm going to use 5W30 as recommended by the manual. Wix filters, too, of course. 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back