2002 Expedition Oil Change Suggestions - Mostly Towing

C4Dave

I use my 2002 Expedition 4.6 mainly towing a bass boat about 100 miles one way to a lake. I put about 4-5k miles per year with about 80% towing. Highway RPMs are 2600-2700 with OD locked out. There are a few hills that require a downshift to 2nd and RPMs get to 4000. Other trips are usually short and around town.

This engine has about 130k miles. Original engine disassembled itself shortly after the oil pressure light came on while towing.

Owners manual recommends 5k OCI.

I'm looking for suggestions on OCI and oil/filter, and any other thoughts.

5w30 at least, whatever brand suits your fancy. There is a spreadsheet on the VOA forum showing the viscosity among 5w30s, there's a fair amount of variation possible within the grade as the spec is from 9.3 to 12.49 cst in grade for anything Xw30. I would go on the thicker side in your application, in the 11-low 12 cst range.

If price is important to you: Here is a solid choice for $21.48 + tax including oil and filter:

Oil:
Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 5 quart jug (Marketed as a 10,000 mile oil and Dexos 1 Gen 3 approved): $18.98 -$1 (5% Walmart credit card discount) = $17.98

Oil Filter:
Fram Extra Guard oil filter with Efficiency = 95% @ > 20 microns for $3.50 on Amazon subscribe and save.

Last edited:
I use my 2002 Expedition 4.6 mainly towing a bass boat about 100 miles one way to a lake. I put about 4-5k miles per year with about 80% towing. Highway RPMs are 2600-2700 with OD locked out. There are a few hills that require a downshift to 2nd and RPMs get to 4000. Other trips are usually short and around town.

This engine has about 130k miles. Original engine disassembled itself shortly after the oil pressure light came on while towing.

A good 5w30 (Mobil 1 is easy) and an FL820S filter. Some people on here will balk at the filter recommendation but I've got over 750K miles on those MC 820 filters over 3 vehicles and never had any issues. Mobil makes an oil filter in that size though, if you would prefer to use it the PN is M1-210A.

The Ford mod-motors (especially the 2v Tritons) are pretty darn robust and don't need anything special in terms of oils, filters and OCIs. They wear very well and generally don't care what products are used.

Any SN or better 5w-30 lube, changed every 10k miles or less, and the engine will be quite happy. No need for syns. No need for uber-expensive filters. You can certainly do those if you wish, but the wear rates are likely to be unaffected by your oil or filter selection as long as you stay reasonable.

Between the towing and the warm climate, I might favour a thicker grade than a 5W-30. An API SN/SP 10W-30 might be more appropriate.

An HDEO is another option and will be thicker yet. I'd recommend a mixed fleet oil that meets API SN/SP, like Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30. It's a semi-synthetic and has an HTHS of 3.6. Probably thicker than you need.

The long highway drives should be pretty easy on the oil, despite the towing. I'd personally try Mobil 1 10W-30 with a 7.5k OCI. Supertech oil filters seem like a great budget option and would be just fine for this OCI.

C4Dave
That Motor is pretty easy on Oil
I had a '99 5.4L 2v Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 before my present 2011 Expedition in my Signature. I kept it for 12 yrs and put 325k miles before I sold it to a family member.
I ran M1 Ow-40 with a Motor Craft FL 820S Oil Filter
I ran an OCI of 5k-10k miles

Thanks guys!
Seems like a grade thicker oil than the owners manual suggests (5w20) is the most popular opinion.

Often the owners manual only suggest thin oil due to CAFE and MPG regulations. Not necessarily what is best for your needs. Towing and putting heavier strain on the engine is definitely worthy of a thicker oil. Thicker oil will give your more engine protection, maybe a bit less MPG. With that said, 5w-30 or 40 weight. Love my M1 Euro blend.

Last edited:
Back