Do yall consider your ride(s) as an extension of your

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MCompact
I just find FWD absolutely pointless in anything bigger than a Civic. ditto for AWD systems which are FWD 90% of the time. As an aside, I realized that the dumbing-down of the typical vehicle operator was virtually irreversible when I had an incompetent fool tell me he couldn't buy a RWD car because he needed a vehicle that he could drive in the rain...

What problem do you have with fwd based awd in applications that are not primarily performance driven? I have noticed a tiny bit of torque steer in my cx5 in the rain on the 1-2, 2-3 shifts, but in corners where I am too judicious with the throttle and all 4 spin, it's extremely controlled. Rolled onto it in 2nd gear and slide beautifully, reminded me of an STi, back when I was on the stock rubber on hot, slick Texas roads last summer. Other than the faintest twitches on hard shifts in the rain or on steering input at wot, it's been a non issue.

Now in a track vehicle or something with more power, I think it would become increasingly an issue, but so far I've been quite pleased since out and out performance wasnt the prime goal. 1/200 of a second or so of slip before the electromagnetic clutches lock the rear to the front isnt going to change my world in this class of vehicle.

Because the primary reason for FWD is to maximize usable space. A good idea in a Mini or Civic, ridiculous in something the size of an Accord. Shortcomings? 60% of the weight over the front end and asking the driven wheels to also steer are the top two in my book. For the average vehicle operator("driver" is far too generous a term) FWD in a big sled is just peachy- and if they like it that's their choice. The dumbing-down claimed another poor incompetent.
As for me, I find driving a large FWD(or FWD based AWD) a dreary and anodyne experience- and as I always say, in my opinion the worst sin a car can commit is to be boring.

From what I see on BITOG, most of these people here aren't car guys. Some just have questions about maintenance and that's about it. Seems like most dont love there cars. Just an appliance to them. For me my cars is a hugh part of my life and it's what I do for fun. It's my hobbie.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Being a hy tech guy with all the latest toys my 2003 chevy astro van meets all my requirements.

I think that the fact that I can't decide whether this comment is meant to be serious or sarcastic speaks volumes about the prevailing mindset of many here on BITOG.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I just find FWD absolutely pointless in anything bigger than a Civic. ditto for AWD systems which are FWD 90% of the time. As an aside, I realized that the dumbing-down of the typical vehicle operator was virtually irreversible when I had an incompetent fool tell me he couldn't buy a RWD car because he needed a vehicle that he could drive in the rain...

What problem do you have with fwd based awd in applications that are not primarily performance driven? I have noticed a tiny bit of torque steer in my cx5 in the rain on the 1-2, 2-3 shifts, but in corners where I am too judicious with the throttle and all 4 spin, it's extremely controlled. Rolled onto it in 2nd gear and slide beautifully, reminded me of an STi, back when I was on the stock rubber on hot, slick Texas roads last summer. Other than the faintest twitches on hard shifts in the rain or on steering input at wot, it's been a non issue.

Now in a track vehicle or something with more power, I think it would become increasingly an issue, but so far I've been quite pleased since out and out performance wasnt the prime goal. 1/200 of a second or so of slip before the electromagnetic clutches lock the rear to the front isnt going to change my world in this class of vehicle.

Because the primary reason for FWD is to maximize usable space. A good idea in a Mini or Civic, ridiculous in something the size of an Accord. Shortcomings? 60% of the weight over the front end and asking the driven wheels to also steer are the top two in my book. For the average vehicle operator("driver" is far too generous a term) FWD in a big sled is just peachy- and if they like it that's their choice. The dumbing-down claimed another poor incompetent.
As for me, I find driving a large FWD(or FWD based AWD) a dreary and anodyne experience- and as I always say, in my opinion the worst sin a car can commit is to be boring.

I think it depends heavily on how its executed. Traditionally I agree with you, as most vehicles set up this way are not tuned for much in the way of performance, but some do great, the GTI, Golf R, civic R, etc. I've been very pleased with my cx5, on the street. If I tracked it, I'd probably be more critical though. Do you find cars like the audi rs3, etc dissatisfying?

My driving experience:
Ws.6, c6 z06, 370z, few others over the years on the street, c6 z06, zr1, and GS on the track for a few days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpack88
From what I see on BITOG, most of these people here aren't car guys. Some just have questions about maintenance and that's about it. Seems like most dont love there cars. Just an appliance to them. For me my cars is a hugh part of my life and it's what I do for fun. It's my hobbie.

I'm forced to care. I drove 50mi one way to work. I cant do boring, but I also dont want to do high maintenance, and i need AWD and ground clearance, so it puts me in a unique place of compromises.

Being a hy tech guy with all the latest toys my 2003 chevy astro van meets all my requirements.

I think that the fact that I can't decide whether this comment is meant to be serious or sarcastic speaks volumes about the prevailing mindset of many here on BITOG.

I hear ya.
I can imagine a self-described high tech guy "with the latest toys" As sound or home theater eq. , latest phone, or computers / gaming, gunsmith shop and 'stuff' , cycles, boats or jet skis etc.... Mainly, a bunch of things other than main or generic mode of transportation.
Also, it could be a 2003 vehicle is as high tech as he wants or he's just being fun in a jovial sarcasm spirit as you suspect.
Modern fuel systems and ignition or even safety features have and do improve but a 2003 year vehicle probably isn't too far behind on anything important. Some of the new features for intrusive behaviors by sensors in cars scare the crap out of me !

For me, the Astro Van was 1983 - 85
A lot of guys I worked with bought them and the local custom shop was converting them to little luxury cruisers with big windows, mini blinds and special lighting inside. Exteriors were trimmed with neat striping or tasteful graphics and these things took us all over MI, on ski trips to the the north or company meetings south. They didn't quite ride like luxo-cruisers but the amenities were so comforting, it beat car travel in every way.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I think it depends heavily on how its executed. Traditionally I agree with you, as most vehicles set up this way are not tuned for much in the way of performance, but some do great, the GTI, Golf R, civic R, etc. I've been very pleased with my cx5, on the street. If I tracked it, I'd probably be more critical though. Do you find cars like the audi rs3, etc dissatisfying?

My driving experience:
Ws.6, c6 z06, 370z, few others over the years on the street, c6 z06, zr1, and GS on the track for a few days.

The GTI, Si, and Type R Are traditional hot hatches. I like them a lot, but after my lightly modified Mazdaspeed 3 I'm in no hurry to get another one. That said, I would buy a Veloster N in a heartbeat if the interior had a few more features(a friend who writes for R&T absolutely loves the N and our tastes are very similar).
Audi's? I've considered an RS3, and it's a great car- I just can't warm up to it.
I put off buying a car for over a year hoping the rumored 300+ hp AWD Mazdaspeed 3 would be a reality, but no such luck.
Hopefully the latest Mazda concept isn't vaporware; RWD and a longitudinally mounted inline six sounds perfect.

Originally Posted by Ws6

My driving experience:

The GTI, Si, and Type R Are traditional hot hatches. I like them a lot, but after my lightly modified Mazdaspeed 3 I'm in no hurry to get another one. That said, I would buy a Veloster N in a heartbeat if the interior had a few more features(a friend who writes for R&T absolutely loves the N and our tastes are very similar).
Audi's? I've considered an RS3, and it's a great car- I just can't warm up to it.
I put off buying a car for over a year hoping the rumored 300+ hp AWD Mazdaspeed 3 would be a reality, but no such luck.
Hopefully the latest Mazda concept isn't vaporware; RWD and a longitudinally mounted inline six sounds perfect.

I'll trade mine in on a CPO if it's true, instead of getting a different brand. I'm at 250hp/310tq in my cx5 per the window sticker, and it really is extremely competent for 7.5" of ground clearance. Suspension damping and body control is excellent. Better than my 370z. I've been truly impressed with the thing on the street, but yes, an i6 would be neat!

If I did not require awd and 6"+ of ground clearance, I'd likely end up in something like a gt350. I need an awd SUV though.

Last edited:

BITOG....where old cars come to die...........................

I guess my fleet in its totality says something about me.

The Honda Odyssey minivan shows my practical side. Over 130k trouble free miles. Only thing I have had done to it outside of routine and scheduled maintenance is replacing a rear shock absorber. Ideal for taking a lot of stuff along to the beach on vacation, or what not. I'm like the old Maytag repairman here, waiting around in vain for something to need tending to with this machine. Have followed the oil life monitor's suggestion on when to change the oil. And have never needed to add one drop of oil to bring it back up to the full line on the dipstick.

The old Mercedes shows the side of me that likes to tinker with things automotive. It is kind of a hobby of mine to keep it running strong. Doesn't require a lot of work, either. Just little things here and there. Just really love the old W124 style, I guess.

Also have a 20 year old push mower and 15 year old riding lawn mower. Both powered by Brriggs & Stratton. Gonna see how I long I can keep them running well, too.

So part of me wants reliability. The other part appreciates older machines that still run well.

No. My vehicles are tools, they are not a "lifestyle" for me... unless you consider camping, dirt biking, hauling wood, moving friends, and running errands for work to be a lifestyle. They are simply good tools that get the job done. I've never seen any benefit to investing my personal identity into something that can be destroyed in an instant.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by DGXR
No. My vehicles are tools, they are not a "lifestyle" for me... unless you consider camping, dirt biking, hauling wood, moving friends, and running errands for work to be a lifestyle. They are simply good tools that get the job done. I've never seen any benefit to investing my personal identity into something that can be destroyed in an instant.

To be fair though, that's anyone, to the LETTER. Seen it hundreds of times. Maybe thousands. Doing fine one minute, dead as dead the next.

I kind of do notice that I don’t own anything new because I like working on stuff and don’t like electronics. I consider the license plates on it more of who I am lol especially since I live in the state that has the most specialty license plates so I can pick one for all of my interest except they don’t have one for mechanics unfortunately lol.

Depends on how you define personality. It could be considered how you plan or need to use the vehicle, which is about life choices, guided by your personality, or the vehicle could be a 2nd/3rd etc utility vehicle or weekend toy while your personality determined how much utility you can get out of a vehicle (DIY vs pay someone else or rent a vehicle) or what kind of toy you like to play with.

Last edited:
Because the primary reason for FWD is to maximize usable space.

I'd consider it a secondary reason if even that. The engine compartment can be smaller without a tranny up there and the drive shaft hump, doesn't contribute to # of seating rows or other marketable parameters of vehicle size and capacity except cargo height in a SUV/CUV/etc. Primary reasons for FWD would be better control in slippery situations and/or higher efficiency, and lower production cost.

A good idea in a Mini or Civic, ridiculous in something the size of an Accord. Shortcomings? 60% of the weight over the front end and asking the driven wheels to also steer are the top two in my book. For the average vehicle operator("driver" is far too generous a term) FWD in a big sled is just peachy- and if they like it that's their choice. The dumbing-down claimed another poor incompetent.

Public roads are not race tracks. Many people find their excitement in other ways which are not hard on the vehicles (not built excessive for their intended use) or risking the innocent lives of others. Regardless, the average FWD car handles very well compared to 20+ years ago, are marketed towards the masses where the driver is the weak link.

There are RWD sports cars for your intended use. Most people value other things more, are not looking for an exciting experience on their daily commute in traffic, lol. You can own a sensible commuter and/or workhorse truck or SUV, AND a sports car, unless you don't have the parking space which is not really a FWD vs RWD design choice problem.

Last edited:
I'd consider it a secondary reason if even that. The engine compartment can be smaller without a tranny up there and the drive shaft hump, doesn't contribute to # of seating rows or other marketable parameters of vehicle size and capacity except cargo height in a SUV/CUV/etc. Primary reasons for FWD would be better control in slippery situations and/or higher efficiency, and lower production cost.

Public roads are not race tracks. Many people find their excitement in other ways which are not hard on the vehicles (not built excessive for their intended use) or risking the innocent lives of others. Regardless, the average FWD car handles very well compared to 20+ years ago, are marketed towards the masses where the driver is the weak link.

There are RWD sports cars for your intended use. Most people value other things more, are not looking for an exciting experience on their daily commute in traffic, lol. You can own a sensible commuter and/or workhorse truck or SUV, AND a sports car, unless you don't have the parking space which is not really a FWD vs RWD design choice problem.

I own a WRX manual. I commute in heavy traffic every day. It's the perfect car if you want sport, affordability, practicality, and safety.

Back