What's considered an old car?

This is a lovely topic. dare i say op is most likely an old soul irrespective of his or her chronological age?

Not sure how much weight views of millennials have, when stacked against boomers, but imho the age of the veichle is dependent on the age of the person looking at it. :)

10+ yrs? 20+? Someone in another thread mentioned that that never seen any old cars in their area.

5 minutes later I was sitting at a red light and took this pic

What year is that Honda in front of me? It's missing paint.I assume it's 10+ yrs old.

The grand Cherokee in front of it has to be about 20 yrs old . There was an old style dodge truck behind me. Pre 2002iirc.

And im in my 2002 wrangler.

What's considered old?

When the replacement model got replaced aswell (3 generations old), and no parts of the car are used in current production

There is no set definition. Some age gracefully; others not so much (like people). A vehicle that has 15+ years of freeway miles can run like new with 200k on the clock. While a car in the rust belt will experience the exact opposite.

Cars in Arizona generally don't have issues with rust and corrosion so it's the ideal environment for collectors. The rate of decay varies based on location, maintenance, usage and vehicle design.
Arizona sun is hard on paint and rubber parts though, for cars that get driven and parked. Same is true for most Southern states.

If you look at the parking lot at my work, anything over 10 years old is really old. I easily drive the oldest cars of my colleagues, whether it's my 99 Civic or my 83 Land Cruiser.

All of our cars are 12 years old or older, but I think anything over 20 years old is a good run for a vehicle, so I would consider that old.
Yeah I think after a point you have to just say, hey I got my money's worth out of it. The idea is to buy something good to begin with, then maintain it for a long time. Don't buy a poorly designed car off the showroom floor, then try to keep it alive for 20 years.

Over the years I've sure noticed some people will comment on a vehicle that's not even 10 years old and say the thing is ancient. Yeah, growing up the newest vehicle we had was a 97 mazda 626, oldest in daily use was a 78 dodge B200. Sold the van when it was 41 years old, sold the mazda earlier last year after 21 years of ownership. None of them really ever seemed that old to me. To date the newest vehicle, we've ever had is the 08 Chrysler T&C and that's because it was inherited. It feels like a brand-new van still. The newest vehicle I own in my name is my 99 grand marquis, that thing does not seem or feel like it's 25 years old whatsoever to me.

Old is relative. My car is clearly 'old' as an '06 w/ 220K miles, yet the only repairs required have been a cam position sensor and the expected oil leaks (valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, and a timing cover leak), and 200K worth of maintenance. All stuff I was able to fix myself. So, mechanically, I don't consider it to be old and it doesn't feel old, just slightly aged. However, over the last couple of years, the clearcoat has started to fail on the roof and now the dashboard has cracked. So suddenly it feels like an older car. My 2012 on the other hand, looks and feels brand new, aside from having almost 170K miles on it. I've had to replace a radiator and a starter so far.

I don't like new cars. While I like the power of twin turbo V6 and V8 powerplants, I don't want to have to wear my reading glasses to work the stereo or open the glovebox. I also see more problems with these new cars than with my 'old' cars. I would love to have a choice of new 2000-2010 cars to choose from.

In my mind, I think of cars from the '70s to mid '80s as being old, primarily because they were not desirable to me, although I now appreciate their lush interior and magical suspension that can make Detroit roads smooth. '90s cars are old because they are getting hard to maintain, but they were better than the previous generations. '60s are classic cars. Early 2000s cars might be peak car in my mind, not considering the safety and power advances made since then.

After the door handle breaks and you have to either roll down the window or crawl out the other side. Two of our cars I now consider old 😂

My 21 year old minivan with around 120,000. Lumar tint all around in the windows/windshields. Many major/expensive parts already replaced by previous owner, who did maintenance by the time, not by miles.

IMG_20231125_123413.jpg

If you’re driving around in any of the cars used in Repo Man
  • 1964 Chevrolet Malibu.
  • 1975 Cadillac Eldorado.
  • 1965 Mustang fastback.
  • 1964 Falcon Futura convertible.
  • 1973 Ford Ranchero.
  • 1971 Chevrolet Impala.
  • 1970 Pontiac Firebird.
  • 1971 AMC Matador.

Back