Anyone ‘excited’ for API SP/GF-6?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
The fuel-economy improvement will probably result in the SP oils having a higher VII content and a higher viscosity index (VI) than the SN/SN PLUS oils.

one good reason for me to stay away ... lol

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 03s
I think most of the major oil companies have posted on their websites the oil they are selling right now will meet gf-6 specs. Found this on infineuminsight website. ...

Good info!

If that's the case, then the old limits were very generous and/or the technology has advanced ... or everyone was well within the spec to begin with ... so part of what gf6 is doing is correction/revision to compensate for that. No?

03s ... thanks for posting that info.

I'm suspecting most GF-5 oils will be phased out and not available at some time (year from now?).

Originally Posted by 03s
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
What new requirement specs have come into play between GF-5 and GF-6?

I think most of the major oil companies have posted on their websites the oil they are selling right now will meet gf-6 specs. Found this on infineuminsight website.

ILSAC GF-6 limits
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

they have more articles on GF-6 at infineuminsight.

Thank you very informative.

The fuel-economy improvement will probably result in the SP oils having a higher VII content and a higher viscosity index (VI) than the SN/SN PLUS oils.

Would that affect the timing chain wear?

Originally Posted by painfx

Of course, wear and fuel economy are a compromise.

They need to lower the base-oil viscosity (BOV) in order to increase the viscosity index (VI) by adding more VII, which then improves the fuel economy. This is because when you increase the VII content and VI, the finished oil runs thinner in a wider temperature range and a wider temporary-shear range. The former is obvious from the definition of VI, and the latter is because when there is more VII, the base oil is thinner, and since the oil viscosity approaches the base-oil viscosity at very high shear rates beyond that of the HTHS measurement, it will be thinner at these higher shear rates.

ExxonMobil recently developed new base stocks to do specifically that and wrote an article on improving the fuel economy in SP/GF-6 by lowering the BOV and increasing the VII content. If you watch the video, you will see that they advocate increasing the VII (VM) content from 4.1% to 7% by lowering the BOV:

Decreasing BOV and increasing VII to improve fuel efficiency for 5W+ engine oils -- ExxonMobil

However, when you lower the base-oil viscosity (BOV), valvetrain and timing-chain wear increases. To combat that problem, they have better AW/EP/FM additives in SP/GF-6 add packs. Better dispersants in SP/GF-6 add packs also help reduce abrasive particles aggregating and causing timing-chain wear. Likewise you need better detergents and more antioxidants to negate the increased amount of deposit formation by the higher VII content.

In addition, metallocene PAO's can be used to lower VII content and still allow the finished oil to provide the needed film thickness for wear reduction.

In low viscosity motor oil formulations, approximately 0.5-3% of an intermediate viscosity mPAO gives rise to higher film thicknesses at elevated temperatures and can reduce the levels of VII's needed to maintain viscosity and film thicknesses.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...erses-conventional-paos-cpao#Post5247054

Originally Posted by painfx

Of course, wear and fuel economy are a compromise.

They need to lower the base-oil viscosity (BOV) in order to increase the viscosity index (VI) by adding more VII, which then improves the fuel economy. This is because when you increase the VII content and VI, the finished oil runs thinner in a wider temperature range and a wider temporary-shear range. The former is obvious from the definition of VI, and the latter is because when there is more VII, the base oil is thinner, and since the oil viscosity approaches the base-oil viscosity at very high shear rates beyond that of the HTHS measurement, it will be thinner at these higher shear rates.

ExxonMobil recently developed new base stocks to do specifically that and wrote an article on improving the fuel economy in SP/GF-6 by lowering the BOV and increasing the VII content. If you watch the video, you will see that they advocate increasing the VII (VM) content from 4.1% to 7% by lowering the BOV:

Decreasing BOV and increasing VII to improve fuel efficiency for 5W+ engine oils -- ExxonMobil

However, when you lower the base-oil viscosity (BOV), valvetrain and timing-chain wear increases. To combat that problem, they have better AW/EP/FM additives in SP/GF-6 add packs. Better dispersants in SP/GF-6 add packs also help reduce abrasive particles aggregating and causing timing-chain wear. Likewise you need better detergents and more antioxidants to negate the increased amount of deposit formation by the higher VII content.

I am asking because they are stating GF-6 will help reduce wear on timing chains. So that is confusing...

Originally Posted by edyvw
I could not sleep last night of all excitement.

lol.gif

Could you sleep when iPhone 11 was released?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
In addition, metallocene PAO's can be used to lower VII content and still allow the finished oil to provide the needed film thickness for wear reduction.
In low viscosity motor oil formulations, approximately 0.5-3% of an intermediate viscosity mPAO gives rise to higher film thicknesses at elevated temperatures and can reduce the levels of VII's needed to maintain viscosity and film thicknesses.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...erses-conventional-paos-cpao#Post5247054

mPAO is more of a plasticky VII than a base oil though. It shears both temporarily and permanently like a regular VII does and probably causes some engine deposits as well. So, there is no magic there.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by edyvw
I could not sleep last night of all excitement.

lol.gif

Could you sleep when iPhone 11 was released?
shocked2.gif

Yep. I still use iPhone SE
smile.gif

I am sure everyone on BITOG is stoked.

I always used to get very excited about the arrival of new API categories in the past. I remember the transitions from SH onward (SA in ?, SB in 1930, SC in 1951, SD in 1967, SE in 1971, SF in 1979, SG in 1988, SH in 1993, SJ in 1996, SL in 2001, SM in 2004, SN in 2010, and SP in 2020). At one point they used to be updated more often. Usually the Valvoline white bottle or Castrol GTX were the first ones to distribute the updated oils, and I used to judge the quality of a brand by how fast they adopted the new category.

It has taken forever for SP to arrive.

My very first post on BITOG celebrated the arrival of API SN/ILSAC GF-5 almost ten years ago.

Gokhan's very first BITOG post, celebrating the arrival of SN/GF-5

*Not good news for GDI engines unless there is something not seen to control intake valve deposits .

Sounds like I maybe dropping down from a 5w30 to a 5w20 original OEM grade again. Maybe even introduce 0w20 to my Hyundai and Kia.

Glad I never built-up a huge stash. I've only got enough oil stockpiled for this 2020 year.

Go GF6 / SP / Dexos Gen 3

Originally Posted by NH73
At the end of the day, no one will have an engine that failed because of the new oil.

It sounds like the GF-6 SP specs will ensure less engine wear over previous GF-5 oil ... that's not a bad thing IMO.

Back