Anyone ‘excited’ for API SP/GF-6?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
... I always used to get very excited about the arrival of new API categories in the past. I remember the transitions from SH onward (SA in ?, SB in 1930, SC in 1951, SD in 1967, SE in 1971, ...
Even if you're old enough, you can't remember the transitions before SE, because that system of designations wasn't used yet. Remember the old MS, MM, and ML, and corresponding C_ designations? MS level as of a circa 1967 upgrade in the standard may have been retroactively designated SD, but I don't believe it wasn't originally called SD.

Originally Posted by PimTac
My guess is that if anyone has bought oil recently they may already have the new spec. The companies cannot label it as such until the specified date.

With ExxonMobil oils there is no guessing. There is a four-digit revision number (RN number) in the date stamps that tells you what the formulation is. It would be nice if someone went to Walmart and recorded these for the SN/SN PLUS ExxonMobil oils. This way we would know if the SP formulations are different or not.

Is there a place we can cross reference that? I just bought a jug of AP.

My guess is that if anyone has bought oil recently they may already have the new spec. The companies cannot label it as such until the specified date.

With ExxonMobil oils there is no guessing. There is a four-digit revision number (RN number) in the date stamps that tells you what the formulation is. It would be nice if someone went to Walmart and recorded these for the SN/SN PLUS ExxonMobil oils. This way we would know if the SP formulations are different or not.
Is there a place we can cross reference that? I just bought a jug of AP.

I don't think so. You would have to compare it to the four-digit revision number on the SP bottle.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Nope, don't want any of that newfangled oily water anywhere near my engines.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I will "Discuss"
grin2.gif

I never buy any first time thing to the market for example any "totally redesigned" cars ... If this oil is out for 2-3 years and no engine blows up and/or if no SP+ enhancement comes out, then I may consider. Assuming the oil meets my viscosity, hths, Noack, etc. requirements.

I am still considering a Castrol a3/b4 SL for a relatively new car so I don't care about Sx.

My gut reaction to these things too.
There are labs, experiments and testing, backward and forward engineering, all makes sense on paper etc..... There is also real-world, time / miles tested and those willing to help us learn as 'we' go.

Heck- I've still got plenty of faith in the old dinosaur juice although syn is so dang inexpensive and oci better than ever, may as well drink top shelf (but not " New top shelf " ).
beer3.gif

Last edited:
When can we expect to see the updated version of the most common oils on the shelves ? My guess is that it may be slower in Europe because ACEA ratings are more important here. Most are SN by now but some of the cheaper conventionnal are still SL or SM.

Originally Posted by M119
When can we expect to see the updated version of the most common oils on the shelves ? My guess is that it may be slower in Europe because ACEA ratings are more important here. Most are SN by now but some of the cheaper conventionnal are still SL or SM.

Here in US they will be on sale the first week of May 2020.

You should get the updated Mobil 1 over there soon.

I'm excited about it although excited maybe isn't the right word. I like seeing progress and with motor oils things usually progress to be better.

I noticed a stark improvement with SN oils over SM oils in terms of engine cleanliness so I confident that SP oils will be even better.

I would be more excited if I had a GDI engined vehicle. Still, I'm glad to see motor oil improving. MPI engines that are easy on oil, like the Toyota 3.4 V6, can take synthetic oils 10,000 highway miles and the engine will still be clean. I only do 7500 though since I do city driving.

Originally Posted by Loobit
I would be more excited if I had a GDI engined vehicle. Still, I'm glad to see motor oil improving. MPI engines that are easy on oil, like the Toyota 3.4 V6, can take synthetic oils 10,000 highway miles and the engine will still be clean. I only do 7500 though since I do city driving.

Interesting perspective- agree....
Have to say it's interesting how GDI engines have aggravating issues such as soot from unvaporized unburned fuel (crystallization) that increases abrasive wear conditions, susceptibility to fuel dilution in the oil, and due to the CAFE standards, thinner base oil weights that don't help long-term engine durability - "progress" !?!
I do have a modern Honda in this class. ...¬...³
But I'll hang onto the MPFI NA cars in the fleet. Not itching for a new turbo GDI car that's for dam_ sure

+1 on your GDI engine comments - the only way I will have another one is if it came with duel direct / port fuel injection to keep intake valves clean . It won't help with soot and other issues though .
Originally Posted by 330indy
Originally Posted by Loobit

Interesting perspective- agree....
Have to say it's interesting how GDI engines have aggravating issues such as soot from unvaporized unburned fuel (crystallization) that increases abrasive wear conditions, susceptibility to fuel dilution in the oil, and due to the CAFE standards, thinner base oil weights that don't help long-term engine durability - "progress" !?!
I do have a modern Honda in this class. ...¬...³
But I'll hang onto the MPFI NA cars in the fleet. Not itching for a new turbo GDI car that's for dam_ sure

Stay with PUP and 5w30. Change at 4-5K and sleep well. If you have extra money, try Mobil-1 AP or Valvoline Modern Engine.
Just keep up with what's going-on with SP / GF6 and Gen 3 products coming out. That's why my backup jugs won't last beyond 2020. I want the new specs coming.

I'm using top-tier non-ethanol, 87 octane Shell gas - CRC Intake spray cleaner every 10K and a bottle of Techron gas tank cleaner every 5K.

Last edited:
Is anyone sleeping in front of Walmart tonight?
wink.gif

I am no longer excited. I looked and they haven't updated any of the PAO-based Mobil 1 oils -- Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16, AFE 0W-20, EP 0W-20, and AP 0W-20 -- to SP.
frown.gif

No excitement here, I'm well stocked and don't own anything with GDI. Although it may present some good deals on closeout oil in the not so distant future, which would be nice.

Back