Anyone ‘excited’ for API SP/GF-6?

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Not me. I have enough GF5 for the next 3-4 years.

Some of you seem to have enormous oil stocks. Is it a collection of different oils or a giant barrel of the same oil ? Everyone thinks i'm crazy with my five jugs lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Is anyone sleeping in front of Walmart tonight?
wink.gif

I am no longer excited. I looked and they haven't updated any of the PAO-based Mobil 1 oils -- Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16, AFE 0W-20, EP 0W-20, and AP 0W-20 -- to SP.
frown.gif

I still find an occasional SH oil on the shelf at some mom and pops,
I have no doubt that once people start driving and changing oil again Walland will eventually run out of SN.

I doubt any store ran out and threw away oil because SP is here, gotta clear out old stock which at this rate will be 6+ months,
I bet clearance won't even happen until late in the year.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to buying SP/GF6 labeled product, but with no one driving that might not be till later this year. I doubt existing stock is going anywhere soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by M119
When can we expect to see the updated version of the most common oils on the shelves ? My guess is that it may be slower in Europe because ACEA ratings are more important here. Most are SN by now but some of the cheaper conventionnal are still SL or SM.

Here in US they will be on sale the first week of May 2020.

You should get the updated Mobil 1 over there soon.

First week of May is here.
smile.gif

Yep, some SP oils should arrive any day.

In the past, when I used to run 10W-40 or 10W-30 dino, I used to consider the quality of a brand by who first started selling the newest API iteration -- it would usually be the Valvoline white bottle, sometimes Castrol GTX, and less often Pennzoil yellow bottle.
lol.gif

It looks like the only oil I would every consider in my current car -- Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16 -- won't be updated to SP anytime soon; so, I'm no longer excited to hold my breath on it.

Yep, some SP oils should arrive any day.

In the past, when I used to run 10W-40 or 10W-30 dino, I used to consider the quality of a brand by who first started selling the newest API iteration -- it would usually be the Valvoline white bottle, sometimes Castrol GTX, and less often Pennzoil yellow bottle.
lol.gif

It looks like the only oil I would every consider in my current car -- Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16 -- won't be updated to SP anytime soon; so, I'm no longer excited to hold my breath on it.

If you are looking for an SP 0W-16 offering it looks like AMSOIL, Honda Genuine, Ravenol, and a few others have SP 0W-16s coming out soon.

Say what? They wont have Mobil 1 AFE 0w16 SP this year?
Why not?

Does this applies to other brands too?

So, are we back to the decision of running a 0W or 5W-20 oil and better fuel mileage, or 5W-30 and getting better wear protection ???

This makes my head spin . . . which at my age isn't necessary.
21.gif

Originally Posted by painfx
Say what? They wont have Mobil 1 AFE 0w16 SP this year?
Why not?

Does this applies to other brands too?

They have updated most oils, except the four PAO-based Mobil 1 oils. Perhaps they want to get rid of the PAO. Remember they got rid of the PAO in most Mobil 1 oils in the SM - SN transition, and these were the four with still a large PAO content. I don't what and when, but expect to have new products later this year.

Anybody knows when API will declare SL obsolete? I don't know exactly why but when API SN was released even Dino high viscosity oils (like 20w50) here in Brazil migrated to SN and don't know why few years later they came back to SL. Now all Dino oils are SL again and even some syn blends are SL. Can't wait to see SL obselete so they will be forced to update to SM or SN.

Back