Time for the 10k/1 year oil changes on my TDI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NuttCase
What are the benefits of running an expensive ester based oil in a TDI if you are changing every 10 000 miles?

I don't think I'd run anything that long without using some expensive oil.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,

Do you have any 10K uoa for your tdi?

Just curious , i keep reading on bitog that with gdi and/or tdi, it's better to do more frequent oci with a cheaper oil than a longer oci with a fancy oil ... e.g. do two 5K vs. one 10K.

I think you're confusing TDI with GDI and TGDI (turbo gasoline direct injection). As far as I know diesels in general usually can go longer on an oil change.

Thank you. Yes, I was thinking Turbo GDI (tgdi) ... Sounds like diesel DI (tdi) engines maybe exempt from this rule.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by NuttCase
What are the benefits of running an expensive ester based oil in a TDI if you are changing every 10 000 miles?

I don't think I'd run anything that long without using some expensive oil.

I'm not convinced on the benefits of an ester based 5W30 when there are Grp III based oils that have the VW504/507 approval for a fraction of the price.

Well I personally don't buy Redline or Amsoil because of price, but I can't go anywhere near 10k miles because of fuel dilution with a short tripped carbed engine run in extremely cold weather in the winter.

I buy the best synthetic I can find half price on sale, but if money were no object I'd buy redline or Amsoil. There is a point of diminishing returns but as in a lot of things, sometimes you get what you pay for. Luckily the cheaper options are almost as good as anything, but some people like to buy the top of the line. Having options is good.

If you look at the Russian oil club... google Redline synthetic oil oil club ru... they have a few oil analysis of the Redline euro 5w30... over the 15 years or so of bitog-would generally say Redline oils have had some used oil analysis with higher wear rates. The 5w30 euro had really low wear rates on the few oil analysis that were done in that website. Use google so you can translate the comments to English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back